ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:06 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
So as you probably don't recall, :wink: over in the discussion thread for my Melinda on the Map addon, Effigy suggested applying the same treatment to the Lost Merchant quest. Now, at the time that struck me as overkill and mission creep; on reflection, though, sometimes overkill is just extra kill in case you need it, and I've rarely objected to that. :mrgreen: The mission-creep objection stands, though, so I split it off into a separate addon, Merchant on the Map.

Merchant on the Map works basically the same way as Melinda on the Map, and they can be used together or separately. I couldn't find a trap door tile to use for the zone entrance, but the tile for the pressure plate trap is partly transparent and produces a nice trap-door-ish effect when overlaid on most passable wilderness terrain tiles, so I went with that.

[Technical info:]
Code:
Hooks:
  Zone:loadEvents [to add our new zone-placing event]
  Entity:loadList [to remove the existing now-or-never encounter]

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:32 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
...So, um, yeah, it turns out that the game engine is not, as I thought it was, checking for an existing zone entrance on the map before placing the quest zone entrance. Which means one of the side dungeons could get clobbered. :oops: :oops: v1a, just released, should fix that. We Apologize for the Inconvenience.™

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:24 am 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm
Posts: 872
The dialog announcing the zone appears even on Embers of Rage. This probably needs a condition to only trigger for the AoA campaign.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Effigy wrote:
The dialog announcing the zone appears even on Embers of Rage. This probably needs a condition to only trigger for the AoA campaign.

[sound F/X: source diving] Hmm, fair point. No danger of running into the quest zone itself, at least, as it's on the continent. I gather we also need to disable it for Ashes, then? Will we need to do the same for Melinda on the Map?

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Last edited by Zizzo on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 am 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm
Posts: 872
Ashes incorporates into the AoA campaign, so it's not problem there. It would only be an issue for separate campaigns, such as Embers and probably Arena and Infinite Dungeon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:01 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 pm
Posts: 1457
Be kinda' surprised if it's a problem for arena or the ID, though. No world map for those 'uns, ehehe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 am 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm
Posts: 872
Ah, right. Well, the necessary check would probably be checking specifically for the AoA campaign regardless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:45 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Effigy wrote:
Ashes incorporates into the AoA campaign, so it's not problem there.

[sound F/X: source diving] Ah, yes, Ashes doesn't add a world descriptor to the Campaign drop-down, so it's still in the Maj'Eyal campaign. And as Frumple notes, Arena and Infinite Dungeon don't enter the world map, so they won't trip over this, and thus the only thing we need to check for is the Maj'Eyal world descriptor. That's pushed out as v1a.1. We Apologize for the Inconvenience.™

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 pm
Posts: 2397
Location: Ambush!
This is so good.

One minor quibble: a Yeek will get the "alliance patrol" pop-up while still on Yeek Island which should have never seen an alliance patrol.

Not sure what the right thing to do would be. Maybe have the pop-ups only appear when you enter an Alliance town? So the dungeons would be sitting there for a span of time before you get the pop-up, which is realistic from an in-universe perspective but sounds more annoying to code. I dunno.

_________________
Check out my addons: Nullpack (classes), Null Tweaks (items & talents), and New Gems fork.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:19 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Doctornull wrote:
One minor quibble: a Yeek will get the "alliance patrol" pop-up while still on Yeek Island which should have never seen an alliance patrol.

Not sure what the right thing to do would be. Maybe have the pop-ups only appear when you enter an Alliance town? So the dungeons would be sitting there for a span of time before you get the pop-up, which is realistic from an in-universe perspective but sounds more annoying to code. I dunno.

[sound F/X: source diving] Ouch, that gets tricky. The dialog is popped up in the same event that places the zone entrance on the world map; trying to postpone the dialog until later could very quickly drift into Rube Goldberg territory. Let me think about it.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:21 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 pm
Posts: 2397
Location: Ambush!
Zizzo wrote:
Doctornull wrote:
One minor quibble: a Yeek will get the "alliance patrol" pop-up while still on Yeek Island which should have never seen an alliance patrol.

Not sure what the right thing to do would be. Maybe have the pop-ups only appear when you enter an Alliance town? So the dungeons would be sitting there for a span of time before you get the pop-up, which is realistic from an in-universe perspective but sounds more annoying to code. I dunno.

[sound F/X: source diving] Ouch, that gets tricky. The dialog is popped up in the same event that places the zone entrance on the world map; trying to postpone the dialog until later could very quickly drift into Rube Goldberg territory. Let me think about it.

No rush.

It's not even QoL, it's just fridge-logic.

_________________
Check out my addons: Nullpack (classes), Null Tweaks (items & talents), and New Gems fork.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group