- Y'know what I've done virtually none of while playing a Possessor? Actually possess any bodies. It's exactly the problem I was worried about from the very beginning: a stored body is effectively a non-renewable resource, which means that for all practical purposes you can never use it, because you can never be certain you shouldn't have saved it for a greater need later.
- What is even the point of limiting the types of creatures the player can possess? It's just another cripplingly limited resource like inscription slots, except the player can't even plan how to use this resource, because there's no way of knowing in advance what kinds of creatures you'll need to be able to possess. (I actually had to resort to source diving to assemble a list of all creature types and pick out a list of types to avoid like "vermin" or "immovable", just to be sure I had enough slots to cover the rest.)
- Beyond those showstoppers, there are various places that could use a bit more information shown to the player:
- Various talent tooltips that say, "blah blah only if you have room in your body storage" could stand to include an answer to the obvious question: "…well, do I have room in my body storage?"
- In various spots that describe or let you select a stored bodies talents, it would be useful to have a note to the effect that, no, you shouldn't bother choosing Flurry if you're not dual-wielding, or Stunning Blow if you're not wielding a two-hander, or Assault if you're not wearing a shield, or pretty much any talent whose on_pre_use() isn't happy.
- Information about a body's Cannibalize penalty would be useful in various talent tooltips listing bodies.
- While gaining a level on returning to your own body can be a nice surprise, I'd prefer a bit of advance warning.
And since I imagine some players might be interested in the informational bits while still inexplicably insisting that Possessors are fine as is, I also stripped out the offending bits to make a related Possessor Tweaks addon that only includes the informational bits. Further bits of information or other tweaks may also be added to these addons in the future if I find anything else that annoys me.
[Oh, and as per license requirements, be advised that this addon uses a modified version of an image by Lorc from Game-icons.net, under the CC-BY-3.0 license.]
Code: Select all
Hooks: ToME:load [meatball surgery on various possessor-related effects and talents] Superload: mod.dialogs.AssumeForm: generateList() [add pre-use condition notes and selected-talent markers to talents list] mod.dialogs.AssumeFormSelectTalents: generateList() [add pre-use condition notes to talents list] use() [reapply pre-use condition notes as we select/unselect talents] mod.class.Birther: on_register() [Possessor Tweaks only; show an addon collision dialog if necessary]