ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 188
Holy crap. I remember possessors, vaguely. I also remember a blacksmith class, but that was so long ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 pm 
Offline
Higher

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 am
Posts: 74
Shaidyn wrote:
Holy crap. I remember possessors, vaguely. I also remember a blacksmith class, but that was so long ago.

If you're thinking of ToME2 you're thinking of the Alchemist class, which could use essences to create potions of detonations to instantly level to cl30+ ( ;) ) and enchant items to ridiculous levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:14 am 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 188
It might have been alchemist. But I remember a class that broke down weapons and armour to make pieces to upgrade other weapons and armour. It's been so long.

On a side note, I went out and found copies of TOME2 and Zangband, which made me quite happy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:49 am 
Offline
Higher

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 am
Posts: 74
Shaidyn wrote:
It might have been alchemist. But I remember a class that broke down weapons and armour to make pieces to upgrade other weapons and armour. It's been so long.

On a side note, I went out and found copies of TOME2 and Zangband, which made me quite happy.


If you want the latest and greatest maximalist ridiculous scope Angband variant, check out Poschengband 5.0.3: https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/ (discussion thread here: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8133 )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:04 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 188
I cannot express in words how happy this discovery makes me. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:28 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1570
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
darkgod wrote:
  • When you want to transform you simply access that storage and select the body you desire and bam! You get stats, effects, talents, ... of this body (all controlled by talents so it's not a binary thing, you do get better at it)
[...]
  • When you assume a form, you get to keep your inventory no matter what. Doing it any other way would be far too cumbersome for the play UI-wise. Also you can now pretend to be just like that rare bulwark snake that killed your last character!

Hmm, that actually sounds more like a shapeshifter than a possessor.

darkgod wrote:
  • Stolen bodies have a very important flaw: they can never be healed in any way (except with a disminishing return special talent), so eventually even the best bodies will wither and be destroyed, [...]

See, this is the bit that worries me, because it sounds like it could easily fatally limit the class's actual utility. It'd be kind of like having, say, Warmaster Gnarg's Murderblade, except you can only hit baddies with it a certain number of times before it breaks. Sure, there are always more trolls and orcs, but there aren't more Ranthas or Masters or Tannens or Gorbats. (Of course, I'm coming from T2, where the "cheesiness" was pretty much the point.)

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:20 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 am
Posts: 132
Zizzo wrote:
See, this is the bit that worries me, because it sounds like it could easily fatally limit the class's actual utility. It'd be kind of like having, say, Warmaster Gnarg's Murderblade, except you can only hit baddies with it a certain number of times before it breaks. Sure, there are always more trolls and orcs, but there aren't more Ranthas or Masters or Tannens or Gorbats. (Of course, I'm coming from T2, where the "cheesiness" was pretty much the point.)

That's assuming that you can possess bosses, which I don't think will be possible (I'm purely guessing here though :wink: ).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:40 pm 
Offline
Halfling

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:53 pm
Posts: 108
Zizzo wrote:
See, this is the bit that worries me, because it sounds like it could easily fatally limit the class's actual utility. It'd be kind of like having, say, Warmaster Gnarg's Murderblade, except you can only hit baddies with it a certain number of times before it breaks. Sure, there are always more trolls and orcs, but there aren't more Ranthas or Masters or Tannens or Gorbats. (Of course, I'm coming from T2, where the "cheesiness" was pretty much the point.)


From playing around with Animus Purge, which is very similar in concept and has the same no-heal limitation, it's not so bad.
Granted, those minions had >100% resist all and so were ridiculously more durable, but being able to freely control those unit without shackles is worth trading that away. Even rares are frequently more deadly than standard level bosses, after all.

On a side note, there actually are plenty more bosses to possess: the farportal! If you dare, that is. Those guys are full blown randbosses and as always are brutal. Although I think I am probably going to agree with 64legos in that bosses probably aren't possessable. /shrug



Also worth special note is this bit mentioned in DG's opening post:

darkgod wrote:
Bodies storage: When you steal one of your foes body it will be put in a "psionic storage", think of it as a kind of psionic imprit of the body. A talent even allows you to clone it to use it multiple times!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:59 am 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
will deathmolds be coming back along with possessors? :mrgreen:

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:30 am 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 703
Will we be able to try out the class before full release, so that we can offer feedback?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 am
Posts: 25
Tryble wrote:
Although I think I am probably going to agree with 64legos in that bosses probably aren't possessable. /shrug


DG has stated in the IRC channel that the rank you can possess increases with investment in a certain talent, and that at level 7 (investing a cat point) you can possess up to boss rank (notably, elite bosses are still out of reach).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:23 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 am
Posts: 132
Bad Badger wrote:
Tryble wrote:
Although I think I am probably going to agree with 64legos in that bosses probably aren't possessable. /shrug


DG has stated in the IRC channel that the rank you can possess increases with investment in a certain talent, and that at level 7 (investing a cat point) you can possess up to boss rank (notably, elite bosses are still out of reach).

Interesting! This makes it so that improving a category is actually a viable build choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:22 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
Bad Badger wrote:
Tryble wrote:
Although I think I am probably going to agree with 64legos in that bosses probably aren't possessable. /shrug


DG has stated in the IRC channel that the rank you can possess increases with investment in a certain talent, and that at level 7 (investing a cat point) you can possess up to boss rank (notably, elite bosses are still out of reach).


finally, the fact that linaniil is "only" boss rank is relevant

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 pm 
Offline
Master of Eyal

Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:26 pm
Posts: 10230
Location: Angolwen
Zizzo wrote:
darkgod wrote:
  • Stolen bodies have a very important flaw: they can never be healed in any way (except with a disminishing return special talent), so eventually even the best bodies will wither and be destroyed, [...]

See, this is the bit that worries me, because it sounds like it could easily fatally limit the class's actual utility. It'd be kind of like having, say, Warmaster Gnarg's Murderblade, except you can only hit baddies with it a certain number of times before it breaks. Sure, there are always more trolls and orcs, but there aren't more Ranthas or Masters or Tannens or Gorbats. (Of course, I'm coming from T2, where the "cheesiness" was pretty much the point.)


Except that you can be wielding gnarg murderblade INSIDE a body. This is additional power, not replacement power

I'm trying to strike a middle ground between old possessors, fun and a semblance of balancing (though I'm quiet sure it can never be balanced but whatever ;) )
And pushing people to not "camp" a single body for the whole game makes for a way more dynamic & IMO fun gameplay. (And an addon could make bodies healable easily ;) )

_________________
[tome] joylove: You can't just release an expansion like one would release a Kraken XD
--
[tome] phantomfrettchen: your ability not to tease anyone is simply stunning ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:49 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 am
Posts: 132
One thing I forgot to ask: will Possessors be race specific like Stone Wardens are?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group