ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 am
Posts: 28
When 1.6 came out, I thought the game was a mess.3 200 armor enemies every floor, overly kiting enemies, some mages crit-ing you for over 1-2k as soon as dreadfell, undoable high peak, constant gang bangs as the whole floor constantly aggro'd on you, classes flat out doing less dmg with a weapon than unarmed, it was so bad it was clear that patch wasnt even properly played/tested by the own devs when it came out, filled with one terrible choice after another, so I thought the game was as good as dead as that point. Tome is my favorite game of all time so I was butthurt because of it and threw huge trantrums.

However, people told me a lot of things improved and that the game was good again, so I decided to test it out, I've been playing it a lot for over a month now and I have to say the game is great, definetely an improvement over 1.5. All the terrible decisions have been reversed or greatly toned down and the good changes that come with 1.6 are really great, even some new changes that happened between 1.6 and 1.6.7 . No more drowning, and the improvements in reaver, corruptor, anorithil, archmage, berserker are amazing, the new runes are really cool too, and the xp penalty reduction on races is appreciated (we can finally play skeleton now) . Most nerfs that I thought were uncalled for made a lot of sense when I faced some enemies that had some of those nerfed skills, I guess the best example being psi shield from mindslayers and essence of speed.

I just wanted to make a compliment thread since I trashed the game when 1.6 came out since I guess people are much more willing to voice their discontent than their good thoughts about something, so good job tome team.


Since I already made this thread I would also like to share some slight worry I have though. Some nerfs did feel a bit out of place and unnecessary. Some examples are doomelf's teleport nerf and sun paladin's weapon of light only extending shields once per turn, and I guess archer's munitions weren't really troublesome so I don't understand why they got removed, maybe I missed something. I'm not a game dev and I certainlly wouldn't be able to make a game this good, but if my opinion as someone who played more then 2000 hours is worth anything, my opinion is that nerfs should happen for one of three reasons: 1) something is waaay more powerful than it should be or it was initially intended/ is abusable; 2) are talents that are really troublesome or even unfair when enemies get it; and 3) it makes no sense for a class to have certain ability. A good example of all or those is 1.5 archer: he could dodge a billion meelee attacks per turn and could have a better defense in melee than any melee/defense specific character, had fastest attack weapon in the game ( those made no sense), and with their fast attack speed and huge armor penetration from steady shot/ headshot, being oneshot by an enemy archer was always a serious threat.

Point being, it doesn't feel like some nerfs had any of those 3 troublesome points I mentioned, so they felt like they had a real "lottery" aspect to them, stuff that just got changed for change's sake, or because some specific notorious players that are universally despised keep constantly crying for unnecessary nerfs because they subjectivelly don't like something that isn't an universal problem and they are heard for some reason. This makes me paranoid in the sense that whenever I find some new cool stuff in the game, I always feel like I should keep my mouth shut about it, because any compliments towards any skill or class are gonna be used as grounds for future nerfing, and I also feel some slight anxiety wondering if this new stuff I found out about or my favorite class is just going to get nerfed next patch because some player thought it was too fun to be in the game or some dev ran out of stuff to change.

Two things that I really hated though: 1) asslord fountain getting nerfed to the point where it might as well have been deleted from the game, I thought that the huge gold you had to spend on it and having to actually find a good item to use on the fountain were enough to keep it in check ( could you even get enough gold on normal/nightmare to properlly use it?). Having to get scammed by that scam merchant again spending 16k on lights with negative value and fire type swords with all the wrong stats is the worst thing ever. 2) I still think block cd is way too long, I know it might not be that long for bulwarks and stone wardens but classes like sun paladin and wyrmic/cursed got the short end of the stick. Being able to block once every 8/10 turns on a class that the whole thematic is wearing a shield in the first place feels off. You could say who the hell uses shields on wyrmic/cursed/arcane blade anyway, but sun paladins could have used some love there.

Anyway, maybe this thread ended up being a little complainy and pheraps a bit toxic for what I intended to be a compliment thread. I just wanted to say again that 1.6.7 is amazing, and I'm really glad with the general changes that came with it. Forgive my heresy and keep up the great work, this is the best game of all time, at least as far as I'm concerned.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:38 pm 
Offline
Perspiring Physicist

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:43 am
Posts: 6099
You were a bit over the top on the criticism when 1.6 dropped. (Although I think everyone involved knew that too many changes had been tried at once.)

But never underestimate what a committed dev team can do with quality constructive feedback.

_________________
My feedback meter decays into coding. Give me feedback and I make mods.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:17 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:05 am
Posts: 16
Skimmed this but just want to address one point:
Quote:
Two things that I really hated though: 1) asslord fountain getting nerfed to the point where it might as well have been deleted from the game, I thought that the huge gold you had to spend on it and having to actually find a good item to use on the fountain were enough to keep it in check ( could you even get enough gold on normal/nightmare to properlly use it?). Having to get scammed by that scam merchant again spending 16k on lights with negative value and fire type swords with all the wrong stats is the worst thing ever.

1.6.7 re-buffed the asslord fountain, deleted the negative light ego on lamps from the game, and 1.6.0 stopped weapons from rolling random damage types so getting a weapon with the wrong damage type is no longer possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 am
Posts: 28
FuzzyCuddlyBunny wrote:
Skimmed this but just want to address one point:
Quote:
Two things that I really hated though: 1) asslord fountain getting nerfed to the point where it might as well have been deleted from the game, I thought that the huge gold you had to spend on it and having to actually find a good item to use on the fountain were enough to keep it in check ( could you even get enough gold on normal/nightmare to properlly use it?). Having to get scammed by that scam merchant again spending 16k on lights with negative value and fire type swords with all the wrong stats is the worst thing ever.

1.6.7 re-buffed the asslord fountain, deleted the negative light ego on lamps from the game, and 1.6.0 stopped weapons from rolling random damage types so getting a weapon with the wrong damage type is no longer possible.



Ohhh I see, that's very good news, thanks for letting me know. How exactly did the asslord fountain change? Is it back as it was before?

I still find that merchant of dubious reputation though. :cry:


Edit: nevermind I saw the patch notes, still seem kinda meh to me though. Choosing 5 random egos doesn't seem that great unless they also changed those crazy high prices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:16 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 598
price increments by 1k for each greater ego reroll and start at 0.
so it's crazy cheap.

_________________
I write guides and make addons too now, apparently

You can go here for a compilation of everything I wrote, plus some other important stuff!

Includes general guides (inscriptions, zone, prodigies), and class guides (Demo, Anorithil, Bulwark, Zerker, Sblade)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:30 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 am
Posts: 28
Cathbald wrote:
price increments by 1k for each greater ego reroll and start at 0.
so it's crazy cheap.


That sounds really good, I'll def try it out, thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group