ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: ToME 2 maintenance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:58 pm 
Spiderkin

Holy carp! Thank you for that -- I hope it works for everyone else!

It's really annoying to not 1) have an executable download for Windows, and not even b) have a reliable procedure for even building on Windows.

EDIT: Btw, I'd appreciate properly #ifdef'd patches :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 pm 
Wayist

I confirm (a little late) that it worked for me. Thank you very much for the instructions to build on Windows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 pm 
Spiderkin

Just a little follow-up: I've been (tentatively) porting bits of ToME to C++11 in a very conservative way, and hopefully I'll be able to push something workable soonish (think months rather than years :)).

Not many gameplay changes, but I think it'll be possible to get rid of jansson... there *is* some minor reliance on boost, but I think it's header-only at the moment and I think it'll be possible to replace jansson with a boost equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 am 
Uruivellas

Oh cool! I take it Boost is easier to deal with on Windows?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm 
Spiderkin

Hopefully, yes. (As long as one is using only the header-based libraries.) However, boost may not actually really be necessary, so we'll see. I've just used it for convenience in a few places.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:47 pm 
Cornac

As far as I understand it, Boost is a standard library for C++, and therefore would be easier to deal with on every operating system. It's just not "proven technology", being that it's not "stdlib"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm 
Low Yeek

So, I tried compiling this on W7 MinGW and failed miserably.

I followed the guide by pbalint in the previous page, and all is fine until I try to run cmake.

The first error is:
Quote:
-- package 'jansson' not found
CMake Error at d:/CodeBlocks/CMake28/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake
:279 (message):
A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
d:/CodeBlocks/CMake28/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:333 (_pkg_ch
eck_modules_internal)
CMakeLists.txt:47 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

I have obviously compiled jansson without any problem. But how do I get this idiotic cmake to actually find it and recognize it?
Is there some kind of config file I can edit?

I HAVE copied jansson.a over to the /lib directory of MinGW

Oh, and it also fails to find SDL, even if it's very conspicuously there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Low Yeek

I fixed it. I had moved pkg-config.exe within the Tome directory to make it recognize it, since cmake would say it was missing.

This because through msys cmake wouldn't start, because it complained sh.exe was in the path. So I ran cmake through a normal DOS prompt and that lead to problems.

Instead the way this should work is still always use msys and call cmake using its full path.

Is this the last version? 2.4.0 (ah, git) ?

Seems running fine on Windows 7.

If people wants to try it, here's the binary: http://www.cesspit.net/misc/prog/tome2.zip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:50 pm 
Spiderkin

Good stuff! It should be the latest version assuming you cloned and are using the 'master' branch and cloned some time in the last month or so (no activity on master right now).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:41 pm 
Low Yeek

By the way, I know very little about this.

Could someone provide a brief explanation of the differences between the main TOME releases? For example why this 2.4 is still somewhat alive whereas the 3.0 seems totally ignored? I was curious because I've read the older versions before the new redesign were bigger and more expansive, but for example I'm not a fan of non-persistent floor dungeons. It removes some of the fun of actual exploration.

Maybe one day someone should write a guide explaining the various Angband variants and what sets each apart from the others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:48 pm 
Spiderkin

ToME 3.0 was basically a dead end, but basically all development on ToME 2.x had ceased by the time that was realized. I had some patches and fixes and things lying around for ToME 2.x and so decided to apply them and publish the result. I also like the game setting (esp. the Theme module) a lot better than the other *bands, so...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:12 am 
Low Yeek

Can you explain me where these screenshots come from?

http://angband.oook.cz/screens.php?v=ToME

Certainly not the latest version, and likely neither the one I'm using here. They look a lot more like Tomenet, which looks very pretty. The ground is '.' and walls as "#" where in my screenshot above the ground is simply black.

Those screenshot have a much, much cleaner look, but they still seem to come from 2.3.x. So it's a windows issue or something?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 am 
Spiderkin

HRose wrote:
Certainly not the latest version, and likely neither the one I'm using here. They look a lot more like Tomenet, which looks very pretty. The ground is '.' and walls as "#" where in my screenshot above the ground is simply black.

Those screenshot have a much, much cleaner look, but they still seem to come from 2.3.x. So it's a windows issue or something?

I haven't checked them all, obviously, but yeah, they're from ToME 2.x. The solid/permanent walls + black ground is a font/pref issue.

In-game, you can try pressing "%" (for Interact with visuals), and then "8" (for change feature attr/chars) pressing "n" until you get to "permanent wall" and then "c" until you "Current attr/char" displays a "#" inside the brackets. Finally press Escape to test out your changes.

Note that there are probably multiple "permanent wall" instances (no idea why), so you may have to experiment a bit. On you're done, you can save your changes using the "4" menu item on the "%" menu.

(I'm sorry it's so ridiculously complicated at the moment, hopefully this can be made sane once there's a true cross-platform implementation of the UI using Qt5.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 am 
Low Yeek

Ah! Much better! You can as well press 'd' for every match, since it resets them to default. For some reason before the text scrolling was lagging, now it's blazing fast. I don't know if it's somewhat related.

But so much better. There's a lot more detail that previously was hidden.

Edited a couple of options and redid colors to be nicer :) I've also updated the binaries with these defaults.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 am 

T.O.M.E version 2.3.11-ah has been uploaded to Debian unstable. The debian contributed manual page was temporarily removed, since it was out of date. A new manual page is in the works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next