Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

Everything about ToME 4.x.x. No spoilers, please

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply
Message
Author
Mordy
Archmage
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

#1 Post by Mordy »

I noticed recently while source diving that the confusion immunity stat has two effects. First, it's a pure and simple roll to ignore confusion debuffs. Plain and simple, not much more to say. But then, the stat itself is reused for a double combo effect! As far as I saw, all the confusion type debuffs actually substract your confusion immunity to the debuff power, thus directly affecting the effective chance to fail an action. For example, you have 20% confusion resist and someone applies a 50% chance to fail confusion, the end result is a 30% chance to fail debuff. That substraction is done at the moment the debuff is applied only and the fail chance you see on the tooltip already takes that effect into account.



Sooo, why do I talk about that now? Because there's some weird stuff going on the world of confusion. First, the final chance to fail is capped between 10% and 50% no matter what. So a 50% confusion immunity won't make you virtually immune to half the confusion effects because it can't drop under 10%. Yet, if you check the stats in the game, you'll practically NEVER see that protection going into effect. And why? Because a few confusion effects scale WAY hard so and no matter how strong your immunity is, they'll stay at the 50% cap. For example, warshout is 50% fail + 10% per raw talent level. At 5/5 it's a 100% confusion. Gloom confusion is fixed at 70% no matter what.


Let's see, from what I see the confusion power for a few talents/egos are :
- Warshout 50..100
- Confusion applied through weapon proc 75
- Gloom 70
- Gloom applied by weapon procs 70 and sometimes 25
- Banish/Fold Wrap 50
- Madness 50
- Mind Blast 20..48
- Psychic Lobotomy 33..40
- Skullcracker 25..45

So there's kinda three schools here. The "old school" that use standard scaling formulas, starts low and can reach 50% with much effort. The "middle of the pack" that is just plain 50%. And the "somehow that confusion thing isn't as strong as I wanted, let's increase the number" at 70-100


That feature could use a normalisation pass I suppose :)

Tryble
Thalore
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:53 pm

Re: Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

#2 Post by Tryble »

I kinda wonder how it'd work out to see all immunities work this way, reducing the power of the applicable effect instead of binary on/off, since saves kind of already do that. Not possible for some effects, of course, but the most common at least.
Of course by comparison that'd make saves worse than ever...
Pronounced try-bull, not tree-bell

ster
Spiderkin
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

#3 Post by ster »

you mean immunity is useless before 100%? absolutely shocking, hasn't been known since forever etc
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered

Tryble
Thalore
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:53 pm

Re: Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

#4 Post by Tryble »

It's the other way around, it looks like. Minus warshout, just 50% immunity powers down some conf effects to bare minimum 1/10 effectiveness and about 1/4 for most others. That's if the conf manages to land through the first check in any case.

Do yeek players often 5/5 unity? They'd notice the effect quite a bit, I would guess.
Pronounced try-bull, not tree-bell

ster
Spiderkin
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Study on the variety of Confusion debuff powers

#5 Post by ster »

Tryble wrote:yeek players
Who
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered

Post Reply