[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal • View topic - What happened, and whose blood is this... oh.

ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 pm 
Sher'Tul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 pm 
Perspiring Physicist

Your first guess was right... myrmidons possess a ridiculous rush and I cannot say I am keen to every meet them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:38 am 
Wyrmic

After the third log snipped it's not just a guess, the naga quite obviously used rush :).

However I'm also confused that he had time to get an additional sunder attack off.
Could it be that the rush _action_ started a turn earlier, so that the Naga was already in his NEXT turn when the rush _result_ happened?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 am 
Master of Eyal

Would a rod/wand/whatever/... of detection have helped/saved you greycat ?

i'm considering implementing some of those

PS: yes myrmidon can rush from far away, a normal maxed rush monster can rush from 10 grids away, a myrmidon from 13. This is more but not gamechanging either

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Sher'Tul

What Fela said. What would've saved me would be not having the naga Rush me and then Sunder me before I could react. Assuming of course I didn't somehow fail to notice the Rush damage, and take a step sideways, leaving the naga still next to me. The log doesn't seem to report movements. I'm still curious about how speed works in this game, though. I haven't figured that one out yet.

A Rush from 13 tiles away seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? Especially if it's north/south -- you can't see monsters that far away in any normal game resolution, except as red dots on the mini-map. Even if you could somehow light up 13 tiles around you. Which you can't, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:28 pm 
Master of Eyal

Well nagas are kinda .. faster too. 20% faster than a normal NPC/player. So they get one more turn every 5 turns.

Yeah maybe I was a tad harsh with nagas, they are indeed quite deadly :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm 
Master of Eyal

But then is it much worse then an off-screen drolem in angband, or landing in a pack of Z ? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm 
Thalore

Uhrm... I play in 1024*768 with 16x16 tiles (ASCII Mode, but gfx shouldn't change a bit). With these settings I have 36 grids in north/south direction visible on my screen. Probably you should rethink your settings?

But yes: 13 grids rush is evil, but can be countered by detection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:43 pm 
Wyrmic

@DG:
In Angand you can get out of most single bad situation with a teleport (I usually have a staff unless i'm blindness immune). Especially those where you were surprised and didn't get there because of miscalculation in the first place. Also I'm rarely in an environment that i didn't use detection on. Also 3 hit kills in Angband? I'd have a hard time remembering any.

@Patryn:
16x16 is a bit to small for my taste (14'' with 1600*900), i would probably go with 24x24 if that were available, but currently i have to stick to 32x32.

How would you counter the rush with detection? Suppose the field you absolutely have to pass is in a clear rushing path for said Naga and you're a fighter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 pm 
Master of Eyal

You could throw a decoy a few squares away form you to lure monsters in ?
(Decoys do not exist I'm just supposing they cold be usefull)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm 
Retired Ninja

The light radius mechanics can be annoying at times. I think the big difference is that monsters in Tome 4 are effectively always generated awake where as in angband monsters are almost always generated asleep.

In other words, creatures in Tome almost always see you before you see them except in fully lit environments like Old Forest and Trollshaws.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way this works is that creatures tend to see you because you're carrying a light source right? In other words the player is constantly giving away his location to any creature with a line of effect?

On the opposing side creatures never (to my knowledge) have light effects the player can see.

I think the solution is to level the playing field by making the majority of NPC light sources visible to the player or giving the player more options for exploring dark environments.

Some ideas on the second part...

Dark Light - An ego or artifact modifier for lanterns and other light effects that makes your light source invisible beyond it's radius.

Make Infravision more common (maybe dwarves and undead should get this as a racial?). Make scrolls of enemies detect cheaper. Make some items of sense that don't require recharging (artifacts).

As to the 16x16 vs 32x32 argument.

I play on 16x16 and personally I spend more time staring at my mini-map then the game screen. When I see a red dot I hit tab or shift+mouse drag myself over to see what it is. I've tried playing on 32x32 but agree that it's to small.

If there was a resolution in the middle I'd probably use that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:54 pm 
Wayist

Heightened Senses might help you detect them earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:04 pm 
Sher'Tul

What good would that do the aforementioned fighter though?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm 
Uruivellas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am 
Wyrmic