ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal
http://forums.te4.org/

[v1.6.0+] Classic Talents
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50982
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Zizzo [ Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

In my ongoing (and varyingly successful :oops: ) quixotic quest to roll back some of the more annoying changes in the 1.6 release, I've started picking off talents. My new Classic Talents addon currently modifies the following talents:
  • Awesome Toss became basically useless when it was switched from firing once per movement to once per base turn. Fortunately, that was easy to fix. :twisted:
  • I gave the new Disruption Shield a fair try, I really did. And I'm sorry, but it's a death trap. Literally every time I tried to use it, it ended up very nearly getting me killed. Plus it left behind a big gap in the player's emergency mana restoration toolkit.

If there are other talents people think need changing, you can suggest it here.

(Now, in fairness, a few disclaimers about the "new" old Disruption Shield:
  • Only the player has access to it; NPCs still get the 1.6-style shield. Trying to change that would have been a massive headache.
  • I was unable to reproduce the exact behavior of 1.5-era Disruption Shield [that would have required replacing the entire Actor.onTakeHit() method, which would have been just asking for trouble]. In our handling, Disruption shield is applied first in the shield sequence, unlike the original 1.5 handling, in which it was near the end of the sequence. That's probably just as well, though; if you're using the shield to regain mana, you'd probably want it to take the hit first.
)

And no, this one is definitely not going into ZOmnibus. :wink:

Author:  tabs [ Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

I propose that re-allowing Auger for Arcane Combat should be part of this addon. :)

Author:  Zizzo [ Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

tabs wrote:
I propose that re-allowing Auger for Arcane Combat should be part of this addon. :)

? [sound F/X: testing] Oh, that was Earthen Missiles I was seeing. Hmm, would that particular change be better placed in this addon or in Arcane Combat Tweaks?

Author:  Chronosplit [ Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

How about Weapons Mastery and associated talents? Love it or hate it (full disclosure, I'm good with it), it does seem apparent that at least some still aren't exactly enthused about no phys power scaling.

Zizzo wrote:
tabs wrote:
I propose that re-allowing Auger for Arcane Combat should be part of this addon. :)

? [sound F/X: testing] Oh, that was Earthen Missiles I was seeing. Hmm, would that particular change be better placed in this addon or in Arcane Combat Tweaks?
I would say on here. Some may want to play with the tweaks only, minus Auger. Meanwhile, people would expect Auger on classic talents.

Author:  Zizzo [ Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

Chronosplit wrote:
Zizzo wrote:
Hmm, would that particular change be better placed in this addon or in Arcane Combat Tweaks?
I would say on here. Some may want to play with the tweaks only, minus Auger. Meanwhile, people would expect Auger on classic talents.

Close call; I was just about to push out that change in Arcane Combat Tweaks. [sound F/X: svn revert]

Chronosplit wrote:
How about Weapons Mastery and associated talents? Love it or hate it (full disclosure, I'm good with it), it does seem apparent that at least some still aren't exactly enthused about no phys power scaling.

I'm afraid I missed that controversy. What specifically changed?

Author:  visage [ Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

Zizzo wrote:
Chronosplit wrote:
How about Weapons Mastery and associated talents? Love it or hate it (full disclosure, I'm good with it), it does seem apparent that at least some still aren't exactly enthused about no phys power scaling.

I'm afraid I missed that controversy. What specifically changed?
Weapon mastery talents used to grant physical power that scaled with talent level; now they just grant a flat 30.

Author:  Zizzo [ Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

visage wrote:
Weapon mastery talents used to grant physical power that scaled with talent level; now they just grant a flat 30.

[sound F/X: source diving] So I see. What talents are affected by this?

Author:  visage [ Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

Zizzo wrote:
visage wrote:
Weapon mastery talents used to grant physical power that scaled with talent level; now they just grant a flat 30.
[sound F/X: source diving] So I see. What talents are affected by this?
Strength of Purpose, Mutated Hands, Staff Mastery, Steamsaw Mastery, Autoloader (does that predate 1.6?), Steamgun Mastery, Psyshot, Bow Mastery, Sling Mastery, Weapons Mastery, Dagger Mastery, Exotic Weapons Mastery, Sling Supremacy, Unarmed Mastery, Stoneshield, Psiblades. ...and I probably missed one or two.

Author:  Zizzo [ Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

visage wrote:
Strength of Purpose, Mutated Hands, Staff Mastery, Steamsaw Mastery, Autoloader (does that predate 1.6?), Steamgun Mastery, Psyshot, Bow Mastery, Sling Mastery, Weapons Mastery, Dagger Mastery, Exotic Weapons Mastery, Sling Supremacy, Unarmed Mastery, Stoneshield, Psiblades. ...and I probably missed one or two.

Mm, tall order. Give me a little time on this one.

Author:  Shadurak [ Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

A BIG "Thank you" for this addon! :D It has been a few years since I played ToME and the new Disruption Shield was quite the unwelcome surprise upon my return.

Author:  Zizzo [ Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [v1.6.0+] Classic Talents

We Apologize for the Delayâ„¢; along with the usual support for 1.7's new localization infrastructure, v1a now covers (AFAICT) all of the weapons-mastery-related talents whose getDamage() and getPercentInc() changed from 1.5 to 1.6, along with reincluding Pulverizing Augur as proccable by Arcane Combat.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/