ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:35 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Summoning a Herald of Oblivion can be annoying when you don't know who has Nihil and how many magical effects you've applied to them. (The target resisting one of my prophecies seems to be the most common stumbling block.) In an attempt to get a handle on the problem, I whipped up a new addon, Herald of the Herald, which adds a display particle to actors with Nihil that shows how many magical effects have been applied since Nihil was gained. Now, I don't claim any artistic capability, :oops: so the particles aren't exactly much to look at; my main goal was visibility and readability (with a secondary theme of "garish colors", to match the overarching chaos-and-entropy theme). I hope it's clear what effect count is represented by each particle.

[Looking ahead, this addon leans heavily into "otherwise unavailable information" territory, so it's almost certainly not suitable for ZOmnibus Lite, and may be a stretch even for ZOmnibus proper.]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 am 
Uruivellas

how many nihil stack are on a target is already displayed on the debuff.
an enemy with 6 turns left and 3 stacks is displayed as nihil(6,3).

You can go here for a compilation of everything I wrote, plus some other important stuff!

Includes general guides (inscriptions, zone, prodigies), and class guides (Demo, Anorithil, Bulwark, Zerker, Sblade)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Cathbald wrote:
how many nihil stack are on a target is already displayed on the debuff.
an enemy with 6 turns left and 3 stacks is displayed as nihil(6,3).

[sound F/X: source diving] …oh. Well, now I feel like an idiot. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:48 pm 
Halfling

Your idea to have some kind of visual effect still seems like a nice QoL option. Then I don't have to mouse over different enemies in crowds to check the progress of the Herald.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 am 
Wyrmic

whitelion wrote:
Your idea to have some kind of visual effect still seems like a nice QoL option. Then I don't have to mouse over different enemies in crowds to check the progress of the Herald.

Highly agreed. In general any status effects without some sort of accompanying particle effect grinds my gears. I know WHY it's this way - it's so that endgame combat doesn't wipe out the sprites of every creature with a galaxy of particles - but Cultist even more than most classes really needs to know what debuffs are active on an enemy at any given time. This information is technically provided through the inspect menus but it's tedious, doubly so for a primarily keyboard player like myself who has to move my WHOLE HAND a WHOLE EIGHT INCHES OR SO over to my mouse. Frankly, it's torturous and it breaks my game flow.

That's only half sarcasm; Cultist really should have noticeable visual effects on all their debuffs. It helps give valuable information at a glance. Your contribution is appreciated as ever, zizzo.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:21 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

whitelion wrote:

PseudoLoneWolf wrote:
Cultist really should have noticeable visual effects on all their debuffs. It helps give valuable information at a glance. Your contribution is appreciated as ever, zizzo.

Fair enough, thanks. (bows) I suppose that just changes the addon's categorization among "addons that may or may not be suitable for eventual inclusion in ZOmnibus" from "Gameplay Altering" to maybe "Ooh, Tough Call".

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:57 am 
Uruivellas

I disagree Pseudo, I used almost exclusively keyboard and it's way more of a pain for melees than ranged char like CoE to check for debuff. That's why i can't play withtout Nekarcos' Effect Display anymore.

CoE, i press whispers, and then i see what debuff my target already has. Zerk, i press death dance and oh wait, i forgot to check if my stun landed, too bad death dance already fired. I could press "L" but that's too far away.

You can go here for a compilation of everything I wrote, plus some other important stuff!

Includes general guides (inscriptions, zone, prodigies), and class guides (Demo, Anorithil, Bulwark, Zerker, Sblade)