ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Finally beat normal mode
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 am 
Sher'Tul

Took me a few years to finally beat the game's normal mode.

http://te4.org/user/62644/wins

That consists of 39 total wins of which one is on NM difficulty and the rest on Normal. There's one or two Roguelike wins I think and the rest are on Adventurer mode, though some of them with no deaths.

I prefer doing Adventurer mode for quicker learning as whenever I make a mistake I get to retry the same situation again.
Most of my total deaths are purely out of carelessness that could maybe be remedied by playing Roguelike mode.

As for the best and worst classes I like them all quite a bit. By looking the winners list it seems Berserker is my favourite. With these X marks I really can't deny that wielding a huge weapon isn't satisfying, but I still wouldn't call it my favourite.

Reaver and Corruptor are really fun to play, both of which I think I have a few wins with. The old Mindslayer was also a really fun class to play. Rogue also has a soft spot in my heart.

As for the most boring classes I didn't enjoy Alchemist or Wyrmic that much.
Hardest classes to win with for me had to be Doomed and Necromancer which both took several tries to nail. For Doomed I even used an addon category (Shadowmancy) which I really didn't even use but a few times. So essentially I gimped myself by 1 category and 4 class points by investing in it. Counts as a win though, so can't complain.

Race wise I kinda like the Yeek and Ghoul, the often referred "worse" races. Shalore and Skeleton just don't do it for me. It's funny how the "OP" classes are not bothering me but when it comes to races I find them a bit disturbing. Must be something about balancing the challenge.

All in all i gotta say I kinda prefer the melee classes over ranged ones. Also mental over magical.

Some notable achievements I did were both Bikini and Mankini wins, both as Brawlers. Also beat the Master as the first boss making him drop the Rod of recall. That was done with a Corruptor.
Amathon I did on a few chars and Angolwen boss on an Archmage.

Next I think i'll move to NM mode and try to win with each base class type (Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Defiler, etc)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:11 am 
Thalore

I find this very impressive, congrats. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 pm 
Cornac

My first (and so far only) win was with a Necro. Funny how different people find radically different classes effective. Then again so many people look at Necromancer and go "ooh, summoning", which wastes that his best power is having an aura that cripples enemy darkness resist + a ton of darkness spells. Maybe this seems counter-intuitive but it's super powerful once it starts rolling. I'll freely admit it would have been a lot harder if the rune of reflection hadn't dropped early, though.

And when I arrive at my destination, I am gonna kill Bill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:14 pm 
Thalore

That's quite a number of wins and an impressive feat. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 am 
Halfling

Um, congrats? I don't understand how it is possible that every single one of your attempts at this game has resulted in a win...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:16 am 
Uruivellas

rangerjeff wrote:
Um, congrats? I don't understand how it is possible that every single one of your attempts at this game has resulted in a win...

Yeah that's actually ridiculous, I lost a bunch before I won at all. Overall this is very impressive, congrats on being probably the first to accomplish this feat!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:47 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

rangerjeff wrote:

Your confusion is entirely justified, because nobody said the thing that has you all confused.

He played every class and won at least once with each of them.

He did not win every game he started.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 pm 
Halfling

Yeah, I figured out later that you can delete character records...