[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal • View topic - Tryb's wins: New: Odd Dorf Bulwark

ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:01 pm 
Sher'Tul

Ghoul Rogue sounds plenty fun. Let's do it Tryble, i'll join the run after my current.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:32 pm 
Thalore

Sounds rough, but why not?

It's shameful, but I'll going to go Normal/Adventure mode for this one...it'd be embarrassing to bite it in the tier 1 dungeons somewhere. I don't know if item vaulting is considered shameful or not, but it probably is?
To redeem myself, I'll gonna show off my glorious rotting ghoul body in a mankini. Or...not, I guess, since I'll be stealthed. /shrug

No infusions, no antimagic, and a 20% global speed penalty. Dang...
I can already see why there's so few ghoul rogues. It's gonna be an uphill battle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:14 pm 
Sher'Tul

If you're calling Mankini then ill do the Bikini round (or Mankini in case my current Mankini donning Brawler fails) and if we're going to go half naked I guess anything goes in terms of equipment failsafe; I know I have a cloak I want to try on a Rogue at least.
As for the difficulty I'm going to go normal as well. Nothing shameful about it in my books. After all, it's *normal* as opposed to abnormal. Besides, those who might look down on you for doing anything less than insane don't have real wins themselves, only some lucky insane with broken Adventurer build and bunch of life easing addons.
There is a real reason why they lack the Ghoul Rogue win on Normal difficulty, and courage to even try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:00 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Ghoul Rogue is pretty painless in the early game on normal -- ghoul in general usually doesn't have much in the way of problems for the early game, regardless of class. About the only bump you might encounter is needing to just skip the undead dungeon boss, unless you luck into some nice weapons on the way up -- several undead combos have trouble managing to win the damage race with that thing, rogue among them. Once you pick up some passive regen or means of healing, hit-and-run for stuff you can't just blow up becomes a lot more viable, y'just don't usually have the tools for it that early. Can't speak for nightmare, though.

And beyond the early game, ghoul compliments rogue pretty well, actually. Natural beefiness helps offset rogue fragility a bit, rogue offense helps offset ghoul's speed issues, the built in racial heal and vaguely hilarious short ranged teleport helps keep a rogue alive or moving very nicely, the stealth helps keep the speed penalty from getting you overwhelmed... the list just kind of goes on. It's a pretty decent combo.

Honestly, I've personally found ghouls to catch a lot more flak than they really deserve. Barring gnaw, their racials are amazing and their base stats are solid, barring the global penalty. Which hurts much less than you'd think, in practice, in my experience. No infusions is less of an issue than it used to be, to boot. Antimagic (or, more accurately, fungal) is nice, but not exactly a deal-breaker, since it locks you out of a lot of nice stuff in and of itself. Plus both the undead share that lovely trick of being able to farm absolutely every adventurer party in the west, including the friendly patrols :3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:24 am 
Thalore

Attachments:
File comment: This is why having a teleport on standby at all times is a good idea.
delicious teleporter.jpg
delicious teleporter.jpg [ 82.47 KiB | Viewed 6958 times ]
File comment: Room of death opened at Lv36. Probably a bad idea.
room o death.jpg
room o death.jpg [ 74.1 KiB | Viewed 6958 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:13 am 
Uruivellas

Congrats on the win. I've never attempted such a feat, but I imagine it takes some effort to pull off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:53 am 
Thalore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:34 am 
Thalore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:24 pm 
Thalore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:25 pm 
Archmage

Congratulations on winning insane! Ogre sun paladins are amazing. I think I will have my first stab on insane with one of these, as well. Staff is an interesting build choice. My favourite weapon of choice for an ogre sun paladin is Legacy of the Naloren, I wonder how it compares.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 pm 
Cornac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:18 pm 
Thalore

Last edited by Tryble on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 pm 
Spiderkin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:57 pm 
Thalore

Hell, you're right. As far as I can tell, I should be in the neighborhood of 140~150 armor, instead of the reported 250ish.
I knew SW was jacked up (I saw the free crystal summon bug probably three or four dozen times), but I had no idea how much.

I wonder how crazy a character could get if we knew how to reproduce whatever weird free-stat thing is going on here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:57 pm 
Thalore