ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:36 pm 
Thalore

Normal/Adventure. It took me 6 deaths so it might be a "tainted" win but I'll take it.

http://te4.org/characters/25356/tome/38 ... d6fb866a4f

It was a pretty standard Doomed setup, but I decided against Shadows because I find them annoying to deal with. Darkness is probably not the optimal choice but I really enjoy using it; you get LOS control, damage boost, small but consistent damage (effectively a DOT) on anything caught inside, and ridiculous speed. The speed is critical for Doomed because of the nature of Deflection. When your Deflection shield does down you better have a way to get out of town FAST. I decided early on to go with Cursed Aura as well as AM/Fungus, and that would limit my generic points. Cornac was my first choice as a result but I decided for Halfling because their abilities are really nice one-pointers, and extra crit capability is always welcome.

Force of Will are all great abilities. The fact that Unseen Will doesn't work for the first 3 levels is annoying, especially because Doomed, like their Cursed cousins, have a tough early game. They're short range without the survival abilities to not die there. Creating mental tornadoes would help. It's still worth putting in the 4 points it takes to actually activate. I suspect that bug will get worked out soon. Willful Strike got me through the early levels, and was mainly useful after that as knockback. I don't have to tell anyone how good Blast is, or how much fun.

The extra Halfling Cunning helped me with the Punishments line. Reproach was my early room clearer, and helped dish out Madness later. Agony is the boss-breaker. Many people have spoken of the Madness/Mental Tyranny combination, and it's LOVELY. Very often I would have an enemy run up, smack me, and find himself stunned before I even acted.

I went with Fears on this run and really enjoyed using it. The downside is that the effects are unpredictable. Despair is typically the best option (significant -resistance to all). Haunted and Torment throw out more Mind damage, which leads to more Madness. Arguably the best part about Fears is that it's a nice fire-and-forget talent set. Activate Instill Fear, disrupt a bunch of opponents, and go on with your life.

I put Drain Life on auto-cast, and basically considered it an extra regeneration. And, of course, more opportunities for Madness.

Usually with my Doomeds I grab Gestures, but decided to avoid melee this time, which was probably much safer. I generally didn't care much about Cursed Aura except for building up my Shrouds.

My deaths: 1 in Dreadfell when I went down a set of stairs to find myself in a 6X6 room with 35 enemies. Every single square was filled, and there were 4 Master Skeleton Archers. My son distracted me so instead of going straight down stairs I clicked the mouse once and was simply liquified. The other deaths were all in the final fight, which I had never experienced before. I got to the final fight at level 45 and I'm ashamed to say I went on tilt after the first death and started playing stupid. That was a real problem especially given the need to let Deflection build back up. With one life left I got smart and walked away. Came back two days later and easily won the fight, using my mobility to finally isolate one of the Big Bads.

Doomed is probably my favorite class in the game (certainly in the top 3 with Cursed and DoxMage). There's a wonderful feeling of being a spiteful bully; using Willful Strike to smash one opponent into another, or into a wall, is great fun. Similarly, dishing out crippling fear and insanity to all who challenge you is greatly appealing. They really play differently than any other class, a "magic" class with short range. You're not a rifle, you're a shotgun. You do terrible, terrible things to people at short and medium range.

You're a boogey-man, a serial killer. You're Bloody Mary. You're Pinhead.

Next up: the Doomed's more visceral partner, the Cursed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:53 am 
Uruivellas

Good on you! Doomed need more love, I think. Or the Afflicted in general...

That being said, hugging them is a bad idea. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm 
Spiderkin

Congrats! I'm probably gonna try this one next.

Cursed are awesome after you get rampage and stop sucking. Monsters that aren't impressed with the gloom aura are trouble though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 pm 
Thalore

Mankeli wrote:
Congrats! I'm probably gonna try this one next.

Cursed are awesome after you get rampage and stop sucking. Monsters that aren't impressed with the gloom aura are trouble though.

I've played a ton of Cursed, and typically go the Cornac route to get early Rampage. But sweet Azathoth on a pogo stick the early game is frustrating. It feels like a 50/50 shot just fighting a single troll, and a rare snake can mess up your whole day. They have so many wonderful tricks (so I get to teleport through a wall, instantly attack an enemy, and get a Defense bonus in the process?) if you get that far.

I'm tempted go forgo early Rampage in favor of early defense with a Dwarf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm 
Spiderkin

My most succesfull (and still alive) character is a roguelike/normal cursed dwarf hanging out in the Prides.

If you go the dwarf route, don't go to deep bellow after the first quest -leave it for later. My characters died horribly in there because they couldn't handle a single freaking brecklorn.

The early game is really horrible, yeah, and your aura sucks balls too before you really get it going.

But a bit later, with dwarf cursed you have three early -early mid game bonus dungeons (meadow, deep bellow, reknor) so they probably arent't far (at all?) behind cornac in levels when you are clearing the second-tier dungeons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 am 
Thalore

Every time I've played a Dwarf, I put off dealing with the Mouth until after all the Tier 1 dungeons, sometimes even later than that, just because I find it annoying. The Deep Bellow dungeon just isn't worth the hassle for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am 
Spiderkin

The nicest thing about Deep Bellow is that it gets a backup boss after you return from the East (which I'm sure you already know but anyways).