ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 am 
Uruivellas

Kor Pul is supposedly the domain of a former Necromancer (one of the Necro lores says as much) as well as some suggestions about the town of Dearth but nothing is ever made of it. As such, I suggest a side-quest akin to the Cursed quest. I like that addition quite a bit and wish more classes had something like that.

In this case, seeing as how it's Necro-related, I suggested a side quest for the the undead races and Necromancer. My proposal is that it include a mini-dungeon and optional boss that shows up 25% if you're undead and 100% chance if you're a Necromancer.

As a reward, you gain an elixir that would grant Undead races a new set of bonuses akin to the elixir of life (or whatever its called) BUT the Necromancer would gain a new generic IF it's started the Lichform quest. If it's already a Lich or is one of the other undead races then it would gain the bonuses listed below.

What would the bonuses be?

1. Negative life conversion. 20% of all life gained at level up (not from constitution or equipment) is permanent negative life instead of positive life.

2. 25% bonus to heal mod.

3. 5% chance to shrug off critical hits.

What would the Lichform Generic be?

1. A passive that increases stat cap by 5 per skill level.

At level 5, your lowest stat would gain bonus stats equal to 1/3 of your magic stat and your magic stat would gain 2/3 of the pre-bonus lowest skill. This would only apply to "natural" stats and would not include bonuses from gear.

2. A passive akin to "technique/conditioning" such that whenever you drop below 50% life, you gain a temporarily increase to resist all, all individual resistances, and all resistance caps by up to 25% when maxed. This would also include all status effects. This would also be a magical effect so it can be canceled. See note...

3. An active ability such for 5 turns, any spell you land on an enemy has an up to 25% chance of eliminating a positive effect or shutting down a sustain.

4. A sustain that prevents mana-based sustains from collapsing by storing mana and instantly recovering it when mana would hit zero. This skill shouldn't cost mana the way a normal sustain does but instead cost mana like an active, i.e., you can recover it, but also cost souls like a sustain. I think 5 souls should do it.

NOTE: #2 has incredible synergy with the Necromancer's Dark Empathy and Lichform skills as it'd allow you to temporarily have a higher resistance cap so if you summoned minions during that period, they'd have the potential to have really high resistances.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:47 am 
Perspiring Physicist

I'm more interested in what the quest would be, than what the rewards would be.

However, I currently have no suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am 
Uruivellas

HousePet wrote:
I'm more interested in what the quest would be, than what the rewards would be.

As it turns out, I have some suggestions for that!

1. A sub-zone filled with a single enemy that you have to kill. The enemy is a Necromancer's spirit in phase between life and death and if you're undead, it tries to take over your body. Every turn you must make a magic save or suffer some negative effect that's cumulative.

Non-undead (Necromancers only of course) don't have to make the save but each turn the enemy grows stronger.

This shouldn't be that difficult a boss but as you either grow weaker or it grows stronger, speed is a factor.

2. A simple door or switch or path puzzle or similar... Scatter three pieces of lore that indicate the solution to the problem but one is missing, i.e., 3/4, so you'd still have to guess. Each failed option means more enemies but healing is disabled.

3. Another option was a very, very, very large room with the one enemy nearby. Each turn, weaker undead enter the room (two levels below yours?!?) from a goodly distance. If you don't kill the boss and exit reasonably quickly, you risk being overwhelmed.

I'll see if I can think of others... I just like the idea of an early boss fight that presents credible risk, akin to Urkis (spelling).