[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal • View topic - Afflicted Overhaul v0.5

ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Afflicted Overhaul v0.5
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:01 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Obtainable here:

Have started coding an Afflicted class overhaul, starting with Cursed.
I've attached an addon with the code in it.
Around 4 categories still need writing but you should get the general idea from it.
This addon is very bad, so disable all other addons when using it.

Coded so far:
Cursed two hander category (Slaughter).
Cursed dual weapon category (Endless Hunt).
Cursed shield category (Strife).
Three supporting categories (Gloom, Fears and Anger).
Four advanced categories for Cursed.
A replacement talent for Unnatural Body (Broken Body).
Reaching 100 Hate will trigger a Rampage effect.
Reaching 0 Hate will trigger a reversed Rampage effect.
The first two choices, with their talents and categories.
Doomed version of Broken Body (Broken Mind).
Dark Sustenance changed to class and reworked.
New base class category for Doomed/Gifted (Fury).
Three new advanced class categoris for Doomed/Gifted (Madness, Destruction and Malign Manifestation).
New generic category: Cursed Arms.

Hate mechanics have been changed.
You no longer have innate hate gain on kills.
Hate no longer decays to 50% of the value it was when you last killed something.
Hate now relaxes towards 50.

In future:
An entirely new Afflicted assassin class.

Unnatural Body will be a dynamic category, with its 4 talents changing depend on class and choices.
This first talent is a direct expression of how the curse affects your character, and is characterised by a tension between effects that scale with how high and how low your Hate is. (For Cursed, low Hate impairs healing but improves stamina regeneration.)
The next three talents will be the same for each class. As you progress through the game you will be asked three questions about how you are dealing with the curse. Each answer unlocks a talent.
The first choice also unlocks a class category based around enhancing either Rampage or the reversed Rampage effect.
The final choice may grant a Redemption category/quest.

Last edited by HousePet on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Afflicted Overhaul
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:57 pm 
Thalore

Sounds great!

I've always liked the idea of the afflicted classes, and I'm happy to see that they are getting some love! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:39 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Updated:
Implemented the effects for exceeding/emptying your Hate pool.
Implemented the first choice, Rage or Despair, with its two talents and granted categories.

There is now enough coded to do a proper assessment of whether the adjusted Hate mechanic is any good or not.
Cursed is ready for testing and balancing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:53 pm 
Uruivellas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:57 pm 
Spiderkin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:19 am 
Uruivellas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:07 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Thanks for the awesome testing! :mrgreen:
Sorry about the bugs. I forgot to ensure that I kept the talents in case enemies used them. :oops:
Will sort out those minor issues tonight.

Will need to sort out starting talents/equipment for Cursed. What do people suggest?

The numbers on the debuff bonus capstones will definitely need adjusting, please give suggestions.

I thought the Fall talents were a bit weak, thanks for confirming.
I intend on making them alter where you Hate bar resets to as well, so its easier to trigger you Rampage/Misery from Hate changes.
Burning Rage is bothering me, but I'm not keen on adding more speed when you already get a 20% global boost.
The cap stones seem wrong because these categories are for all Afflicted classes, and Cursed doesn't have much non physical damage yet. I'm intending on tweaking the damages of a few talents so it isn't as pointless for them. But the other effects of those capstones are supposed to be more important.

The old Hate regain from specific events was retained deliberately. Messages for +0 Hate gain were not deliberate.

If you chose to go with Rampage, you get a talent that increases you hate when you take damage.

I have no idea if the dialog works in Embers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:44 am 
Uruivellas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:02 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Updated with bug fixes and minor tweaks.
Cursed now start with 2 points in Armour Mastery and have lost a point from Weapon Mastery.
They also start with a Waraxe, Dagger and Shield.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:31 am 
Perspiring Physicist

And found a couple of bugs, so reuploaded.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:55 pm 
Uruivellas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Phooey. (though not surprising, that fear code was turning into spaghetti)

Well I think I made Instil Fear not require a creature target.

I didn't pay much attention to the talent requirements except to give them the right number. (Yes Rampage and Despair talents have deliberately higher talent/stat requirements.)
Slaughter, Endless Hunt and Strife should require strength, while Anger, Fears, Gloom, Rampage and Despair should require willpower.
I'm not sure whether to use strength, willpower or both for the advanced categories, so they currently are using non advanced category requirements.

I ran a Higher Cursed using Slaughter, Anger and Rampage up to level 15 last night.
Was pretty easy, but maybe I'm just way to used to normal difficulty...
I seemed to be just bumping a lot, and Rampage took a while before it started happening. This may be unavoidable level 1-5 stuff though.
I also had way more stamina than I could use and I'm wondering if Broken Body is too strong. I basically pulled the regen values from the Combat Veteran category. :lol:
Pondering adding stamina costs to all the Hate melee talents. But I don't want to add any to the Chaos category as it is also intended for the Depraved class, which won't use stamina. So either don't add stamina costs to Chaos talents or maybe remove Chaos from Cursed? They aren't exactly short on options at the moment.
Also pondering a visual flash when Rampage/Misery trigger as I didn't notice a few times when it triggered. It looked like I got an effective free move when it triggered because of the speed increase, which is good if it is real. Could add a damage burst to the visual flash?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Posted an update that should fix Master of Fear.

I was using the wrong callback...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:50 am 
Perspiring Physicist

So is no news good news?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:23 am 
Wyrmic

I can't even get this addon to load right.
just put the init and the four folders in a renamed zip file run it as the only addon and it just hangs at 100%.