ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Your experience with the Void?
Been there, died there. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Haven't killed Morgoth yet. 66%  66%  [ 33 ]
I beat Melkor at least once. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I am Lord Dimwit. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 50
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:33 pm 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:25 am
Posts: 757
Location: in The Void, alone
Despite my loudmouthed jabbering on the forum and elsewhere, I really don't have much interest in being nominated The Best ToME Player, because I feel that that title's pretty subjective. Unlike other games where you just try to score a lot of points or kill a lot of enemies, there are so many things in ToME to take into account when considering whether one player is "better" than another.

For example, does finishing with a Yeek Warrior and earning only 1 million XP make you a better player than finishing with a Thunderlord Sorcerer with 9 million XP? Does playing a character who fights only with axes make you a better player than someone who plays a race that has only 6 hit die? Should you be awarded the Ultimate Player mantle if you kill Melkor using only a Catapult Trap Set?

It's really not possible to adequately answer these questions, and thus not really possible to select one ToME player who's definitely the best. For these reasons, I would rather be remembered as A Good ToME Player than The Best ToME Player. And yes, my time of remembrance is not too far off, I believe; I don't play ToME very much at all any more, and it won't be long before I just leave the whole deal behind.

All that said, it might be interesting to try a Yeek Hermit Bard... :wink:

_________________
Frobozz Node #9432


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:35 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:22 am
Posts: 28
I find it funny that three people are Lord Dimwit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:55 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:50 pm
Posts: 3427
Location: Virginia, USA
Lord Dimwit wrote:
All that said, it might be interesting to try a Yeek Hermit Bard... :wink:


G'wan, I dare ya! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: actually....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:31 am 
Actually....I think it is a point of law that anyone who can beat melkor using only a catapult trap set *IS* the best ToME player... hey, at the very least, I'd buy them a beer.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:42 am 
Lord Dimwit wrote:
there are so many things in ToME to take into account when considering whether one player is "better" than another.

For example, does finishing with a Yeek Warrior and earning only 1 million XP make you a better player than finishing with a Thunderlord Sorcerer with 9 million XP? Does playing a character who fights only with axes make you a better player than someone who plays a race that has only 6 hit die? Should you be awarded the Ultimate Player mantle if you kill Melkor using only a Catapult Trap Set?

It's really not possible to adequately answer these questions, and thus not really possible to select one ToME player who's definitely the best.


Unless, of course, there is a player who has done all of those things and then some...


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Void
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:40 pm
Posts: 20
Quote:
I find it funny that three people are Lord Dimwit


Now there's four. Someone must be fighting him with the Long Sword of the Dawn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Void
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:01 pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Finland
vanfanel wrote:
Quote:
I find it funny that three people are Lord Dimwit


Now there's four. Someone must be fighting him with the Long Sword of the Dawn.


Good thing the forum still has some activity but the post you just replied is only 6 years old. :D

_________________
Stronk is a potent combatant with a terrifying appearance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group