Naloren Pack

A place to post your add ons and ideas for them

Moderator: Moderator

nsrr
Sher'Tul

Naloren Pack

#1 Post by nsrr »

Spoiler warning might be unnecessary in the add on forum, but some lore that is hidden in the game is going to be discussed. So, fair warning.

This add on adds Naloren as a playable Elf subrace.

Get it here or on the Steam Workshop.

Adds Nalore as a playable Elf subrace, along with a new town zone and starting dungeon, complete with quest, new bosses, and artifacts.
The town is accessible to non-Naloren via a new NPC appearing on the world map and contains a shop which sells tridents and whips (and the Last Hope randart merchant will also offer exotic weapons). Anyone who completes the starting quest (granted to non-Naloren via the same NPC) will gain several new options at the exotic weapon shop (each with a fee):
Reveal Exotic Weapons Mastery (if you know Combat Trainig).
Gain the ability to invest in Heavy Armour Training and equip mail(heavy) armor by meeting the requirement with the highest of Constitution and Dexterity (or Strength, as usual).
Gain bonus attack and movement speeds and a chance to evade incoming damage while wearing mail(heavy) armor. These values scale with Dex and Con, respectively.

The Naloren have an affinity for water and are adept with mail armor, whips and tridents. They are also known for their great spirit and flexibility.

Racial Talents:

Spirit of the Tides:
Gain X charges of Surging Spirit for 5 turns. Charges will be consumed as you activate talents to reduce their cooldown by one turn per charge.

Spirited Combat:
Gain X% armor hardiness in all types of armor and a Y% Constitution damage modifier for all weapons.

Cleansing Water:
When you are afflicted with a detrimental effect you have a X% chance to create a 1-tile pool of Cleansing Water within 2 tiles of yourself. Moving into Cleansing Water will consume it to cleanse the detrimental effect with the highest duration currently afflicting you. This has a cooldown (3).

Whitewater:
Call on the surging tides to aid you, creating radius X pool of rushing water lasting for 6 turns. Moving within Whitewater is instant for you. Foes will have a 50% chance with each movement within Whitewater to flounder, draining 50% of a turn and leaving them Dazed for 1 turn.

Naloren start with +4 Con, +4 Dex, -1 Cun, -1 Str, -1 Mag and a life rating of 10. They have a global speed bonus of 10% and a 15% xp penalty.

Naloren belong to the Nalore faction and will start in New Shellsea, an under-water city. There is a new dungeon where Naloren will be sent to complete there starting quest; the entrance is within New Shellsea. There is a shop in New Shellsea which will sell Exotic Weapons and offer to reveal Exotic Weapons Mastery if you complete the Naloren starting quest. Other factions can also visit New Shellsea, after a bit of a chat with a new NPC found on the world map east of Last Hope, and can also enter the dungeon and complete the quest to unlock Exotic Weapons Mastery training. Also features a couple of new bosses, a few new enemies, and a pair of new artifacts, all associated with the new starter dungeon.

Thanks to rexocorum for the artwrok on the new artifact necklace and all of the new enemies!

Enjoy!
Last edited by nsrr on Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:50 pm, edited 21 times in total.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Naloren 0.0.2

#2 Post by nsrr »

I tested everything will all of the add ons that I normally run and had no compatibility issues. This add on Superloads portions of Actor.lua and Object.lua, and could potentially conflict with other add ons that do as well. The portions being over-written concern that stat requirement change on Heavy armor for the fifth point in Naloren Guard Training and the associated item description change.

To the best of my knowledge everything is working, but I only have so much time for testing. If you find any bugs, please let me know and I will do my best to address it quickly.

As always, I am open to thoughts and suggestions for potential changes.

HousePet
Perspiring Physicist

#3 Post by HousePet »

You should be able to do the changes to actor and object without any risk of conflict with other addons, if done right.
My feedback meter decays into coding. Give me feedback and I make mods.

astralInferno
Uruivellas

#4 Post by astralInferno »

Looking at the OP, the racial description says they have Spirit of the Eternals, while the actual talent is Spirit of the Tides.

You may also want to put a link to the addon in the OP in case anyone's too lazy to go to te4.org themselves.

I'd been planning to do playable naga for a while. This is a novel alternative, I'll def try it next time I feel like playing. :)

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#5 Post by nsrr »

The description is like that so it matches the other elven races. Thalore says they get Wrath of the Eternals but the talent is actually called Wrath of the Woods. I wasn't quite sure which way to go with it.

Glad you like the look of it astralinferno. When I first started making it, before I decided I I wanted to do something else first to learn more what I was doing, I based it off of your Rhaloren add on. You'll notice the file structures is still exactly the same if you extract it. 8)

HousePet
Perspiring Physicist

#6 Post by HousePet »

Looks like the description is being updated to Wrath of the Woods in 1.4, so you'd better change yours!
My feedback meter decays into coding. Give me feedback and I make mods.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#7 Post by nsrr »

HousePet wrote:Looks like the description is being updated to Wrath of the Woods in 1.4, so you'd better change yours!
Fair enough, I guess that settles it. I understood why the Shalore had Grace of the Eternals, as they are the actual 'immortal' elven race. But with the Thalore I just wasn't sure if it was a mistake or if 'Eternal' was meant to reference Elven races in general.

Noted for change with the first update.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#8 Post by nsrr »

Changed the description in the subrace selection to read "Spirit of the Tides" instead of "Spirit of the Eternals".

Fixed the description for the power granted by Spirit of the Tides.

Updated the superloads. Turns out I had committed a "no-no" and done some sloppy overwriting. Thanks to StarKeep for helping me clean it up.

mwuaha

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Naloren 0.1.1

#9 Post by mwuaha »

I have a bug to report. I dont get the movement speed bonus from Naloren guard training, only the attack speed.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#10 Post by nsrr »

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look into it tonight after work.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#11 Post by nsrr »

mwuaha wrote:I have a bug to report. I dont get the movement speed bonus from Naloren guard training, only the attack speed.
So, I'm not sure why you would not have been receiving both speed bonuses. I tested it when I got home and was properly granted both speed bonuses and defense bonuses.
I did notice, however, that all of the bonuses were being applied regardless of wether or not Heavy armor was actually equipped. Which is not what I intended.
The only situation I can think of is that you may have had a piece of armor that granted attack speed itself, so when you put it on or took it off you would see the change in attack speed and no change in move speed.
I had to rework the talent so the effects would only apply when wearing Heavy armor. It now functions as a sustain which grants the bonuses when activated. It is instant cast and has no cost. It can only be activated while wearing Heavy armor. If you take off your armor while the talent is active it will automatically deactivate.
If you encounter any more problems or this has not resolved the issue, please let me know, and thanks once more for the report.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#12 Post by nsrr »

Updated Naloren Guard Training.
Speed and defense bonuses were being granted regardless of equipped armor type. This portion of the talent now functions as a sustain which can only be activated while wearing Heavy armor. The bonuses granted and the other aspects of the talent are unchanged.

nsrr
Sher'Tul

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Naloren 0.2.0

#13 Post by nsrr »

Talents:
Spirit of the Tides:
Will now properly grant Physical power as well as Mind and Spell power. Power now scales from ~20 to ~60 and will scale based on your highest stat rather than Willpower.

Naloren Guard Training:
Acts as a passive once again, this time properly.
The max encumbrance increase per talent level has been reduced from 50 to 20.

Whitewater:
You can now target the effect within a range equal to the radius. This will give a little more flexibility with regards to utility, making this an ability that can be used to approach or flee as well as re-maneuver, not to mention the nice debuff.

Items:
To get the most out of Naloren access to Exotic Weapons Mastery, this addon will add Whips and Tridents.
Whips and Tridents will drop like any other weapons and be available in stores. Whips can be purchased from Knife/Dagger stores and Tridents can be purchased from Mace/Greatmaul stores. The inventory size of affected stores is increased to help offset the added variety.

Tridents have retained all vanilla properties aside from rarity.

Whips are mostly new, since there are only fixedart whips in vanilla.
Whips most notable feature is the accompanying new talent, Lash, which will be granted when a player equips a Whip.
Lash:
Lash out with your whip(s), striking an enemy up to 4 tiles away.
[No cost, weapon speed, 5 turn cool down]
Lash can be used with a Whip in either the mainhand or offhand and will attack with the respective hand if only one Whip is equipped. If you have a whip equipped in each hand you will attack with both. This is a melee attack for all intents and purposes beyond range (think Wave of Power, except without the damage increase or chance of a second attack).

Much of the rest of this I expect to get some disagreement on, since I did not following directly in the steps of others who have added more whips to the game. Of course I am always open to feedback, but I have done my best to make whips a novel weapon choice and hope my decisions will not be dismissed outright just because my whips are a little different.
Whips have retained their Dex requirment and base attack speed of 0.8 (or 80% of a turn. Attack Speed on the character sheet will read 120%, because it's inconsistent like that. Take it however you like it, just understand that they are faster.) since that was about the only thing pre-defined about them. Personally I would think attacking with a whip would be much slower than most weapons, and I was tempted to reduce it. But, in ToME a greatmaul is just as fast as a dagger, so who knows?
Whips do not, however, count as 'metallic' any longer, because that makes no sense ( except for a couple of the artifact whips).
I have given them a "staff" accuracy bonus: increased procs damage. Since they are one-handed and fast they seem ideal for on-hit builds anyway, stacking up the procs damage fits with that.
I believe most artifact whips have a 100% Dex damage modifier. Since artifacts usually have higher dam mods than standard weapons, I have given standard whips an 80% Dex dam mod. This gives them a lower over all dam mod than daggers, but almost twice the Dex contribution.
They have lower APR than daggers, a higher crit chance and slightly higher damage. This should make it so daggers do more effective damage to heavily armored enemies while whips have higher base damage and increased procs damage. Hopefully this, along with Lash, will make them an interesting option in any case where one might use a dagger.
[Also, I replaced "hardened" and "reinforced" with "supple" and "trollhide" for the leather material description at the respective levels. This is purely a cosmetic choice. Personally I find the leather material types a little bland for a fantasy game, and "hardened", while good for armor, just does not seem like a good quality for a whip.]

astralInferno
Uruivellas

#14 Post by astralInferno »

Ooooh.
So, what will happen if you have more than one addon that provides whips/tridents?

nsrr
Sher'Tul

#15 Post by nsrr »

astralInferno wrote:Ooooh.
So, what will happen if you have more than one addon that provides whips/tridents?
Great question. I believe whichever addon is loaded last will overwrite the relevant files. My addons have an arbitrary weight of 2000, if you want them to load before or after another addon you can go into the init file and change the weight. Depending on how the other addon loads the weapons it may or may not cause an error if one overwrites the other, I can't really say for certain.

Typically I would suggest turning off any addon which adds more item types to the game, unless you are specifically building a character to use them, because they dilute the loot pool. I tried out grayswandir's weapon pack quite a while back and quickly disabled it because I was getting way too many useless drops. It's iffy with melee because some of the weapons work with talents and others do not. It's awful if you're playing ranged or caster because it's hard enough getting good staff and bow/sling/ammo drops. So the easiest and probably best solution would be to disable other addons that add whips or tridents while playing with this addon.

That being said, if you know of an addon which adds tridents or whips that you think are better/preferable to what I have added, let me know and I will look into it. I am certainly not above "borrowing" good code.( Like HousePet's code for adding items to shops :wink: )