ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm 
Higher

You can try the following idea if you want. Maybe it'll help to get more information about your issue.
I suggest to not log in during the test.

1. Make a backup of T-Engine folder from C:/Users/Username/.

2. Start t-engine.exe normally. Change something in options and start a new game. Save the game and quit to desktop.

3. Start t-engine.exe normally. Do changes in options remain? Does Load Game menu contain a test character? Can you load that character? Quit to desktop.

4. In explorer open C:/Games/t-engine4/. Is there T-Engine folder? Is it empty?

a. If there is T-Engine folder. Rename it to T-Engine_old and repeat step 2. Does the game create T-Engine in C:/Games/t-engine4/?

a. If the game creates T-Engine folder in C:\Games\t-engine4\. Delete T-Engine folder in C:/Games/t-engine4/. Copy T-Engine from C:/Users/Username/ to C:/Games/t-engine4/. Start t-engine.exe normally. Select Load Game and try to load a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30 pm 
Wayist

1. Made backup.
2. Started t-engine.exe directly. Logged out. Changed a setting. Exited program.
3. Started t-engine.exe directly. Setting change remained. Load Game is blank. Exited program.
4. T-Engine exists, is not empty. Replaced new T-Engine folder with one from Users. Expected settings and character list now exist. I successfully loaded a game; changes to the game file are now done in Games\t-engine4\T-Engine instead of Users\Username\T-Engine.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:00 pm 
Higher

Thanks for testing. I presume that unanswered questions were skipped.

Let's quickly summarize information gathered about your issue.

The game uses T-Engine folder (located inside the same folder as the game executable file) for user game data by default. User game data folder creation - not tested. At least some functionality is retained: options save, character load; character save(?) - not tested. Using --home C:/Users/Username/ works partially (can't load existing characters or start new ones).

I don't know what to do here, to be honest. Not very likely, but can it be something with antivirus?

Off-topic.
Quote:
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:29 pm 
Wayist

For background I've been storing data in C:/Users/Username for as long as I can remember- the earliest save file is from 2012. I didn't think about it shifting to the local folder. The game probably would have run fine with the local folder, just with the default settings and blank save folder.

I focused on the update being the issue as the chain of events was:
Play game normally
Exit game
Download Windows October Update and Install
Reboot
Download Windows October Update Part 2 and Install
Reboot
Launch game
Issues occur

The Windows "October" Update was first released in October to a non-global set of computers. It got a delayed wide release as the initial version *deleted* files from /Users and they had to take it out of auto-update until they got that fixed; that's why my computer waited until now for the install. Given the update's initial negative interaction with /Users my guess is it still did something to /Users that TOME doesn't like (the FORBIDDEN READ PATH error) and thus the forced switch to default location. Hard to diagnose without at least a second instance of the problem; unless it impacts other players I'll write it off as local machine wackiness and move on.