ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [v.3.0+] Cloak Reminder
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

In one of my recent addon test runs, my Ghoul character forgot to put on his Cloak of Deception before returning to the world map, and thus got clobbered by an Alliance patrol. :cry: In the interest of not making that mistake again, I dug up the old Cloak Reminder addon I was fiddling with way back in the 1.0.3 days and knocked it into fighting trim for release. This addon will give you a warning if you try to change zones or use the Rod of Recall while not wearing your Cloak of Deception.

[And yes, I know what you're about to ask; I'm covering that in a separate comment below, so that I can link to it as an FAQ from the Steam page.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

But what about that thing that makes the Cloak of Deception unnecessary?

The important thing about the Cloak of Deception is the Cloak of Deception effect that the Cloak confers while it is worn (hence the name). The condition that this addon checks for and warns about when you change zones or use the Rod of Recall is that you are undead, are carrying the Cloak of Deception, and do not have the Cloak of Deception effect.

Now, not to be too spoily, there is an event in the game that will make it possible for you to have the Cloak of Deception effect while not wearing the Cloak. While this effect is... well, in effect, the addon will not give any warnings, as detailed above. The Cloak of Deception effect can be removed, however, by certain opponents with effect-canceling attacks (which is why the event advises you to keep carrying the Cloak just in case). Should this happen, the addon will resume giving warnings, which can serve as a useful notification if you hadn't noticed the loss of the effect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 am 

I've had that problem as well, so I installed your add-on tonight, but I ran into an odd problem - with the Cloak on, I entered New Hope, went to talk to one of the merchants, and the screen started flashing repeatedly - no text or dialogs or anything. I tried a couple of times, same result; tried to exit New Hope without talking to anyone, same result. Even if I disable the add-on, I get the same problem. (Note: this happens when a store tries to display inventory. If I talk to a merchant who has dialog first, the dialog shows, then the screen flashes after I choose a dialog option.)

I'm playing 1.4.2 and I have the following add-ons installed: store_wishlist, ashes-urhrok, wield_replace, compare (along with items-vault and stone-wardens), and I'm playing through Steam. The debug log shows this error:

Code:
[1004/203418:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] --c2 init--", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203418:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] random: true (boolean)", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203418:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] timeout: 4000 (number)", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203418:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] fx: scrollHorz (string)", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203418:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] slides: > div (string)", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203430:INFO:CONSOLE(7)] "Uncaught RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (7)
[1004/203430:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] cycle-paused", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)
[1004/203432:INFO:CONSOLE(7)] "Uncaught RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (7)
[1004/203432:INFO:CONSOLE(17)] "[cycle2] cycle-resumed", source: http://te4.org/tooltip-ingame?steam=1&vM=1&vm=2&vp=3&_te4 (17)

After disabling the add-on, I don't get this error with living or undead characters, and I do get it with the one character I'd tried it on. Any ideas? I can provide more data from the debug log if it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:13 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

zlionsfan wrote:
Any ideas? I can provide more data from the debug log if it helps.

Yes, the full log would definitely help (if you still have the file, you can attach it to a comment). "Maximum call stack size exceeded" means we've got two functions tripping over each other and calling each other recursively in an infinite regress, and I'd need to see which ones they are. What confuses me, though, is that if it's happening when you go to a store, it must be something somewhere in ShowStore, and this addon doesn't touch anything in that area. Does this happen in any other town? Leaving Last Hope I could almost see; Cloak Reminder and Store Wish List both superload Game:changeLevel(), so they could conceivably be crossing each other. Was this an Ashes-specific character? (For that matter, was it an undead character? and if so, were you wearing the Cloak?)

[Hmm, actually, looking at that log snippet again, I think it might be a Steam-level log file, which wouldn't have the information I need. For Steam on Windows, the game-level log file I'd need is called te4_log.txt, I think, and would be somewhere in your Steam directory; perhaps other commenters could give us more preicise information?]

zlionsfan wrote:
Even if I disable the add-on, I get the same problem. [...] After disabling the add-on, I don't get this error with living or undead characters, and I do get it with the one character I'd tried it on.

By "disabling the addon" you mean from the Addons dialog on the main screen? That won't affect characters that already started with the addon active. But you say you started new characters with all the same addons except this one and didn't get this problem? That pretty much narrows it down to this one, then... :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:00 am 

Zizzo wrote:
Yes, the full log would definitely help (if you still have the file, you can attach it to a comment). "Maximum call stack size exceeded" means we've got two functions tripping over each other and calling each other recursively in an infinite regress, and I'd need to see which ones they are. What confuses me, though, is that if it's happening when you go to a store, it must be something somewhere in ShowStore, and this addon doesn't touch anything in that area. Does this happen in any other town? Leaving Last Hope I could almost see; Cloak Reminder and Store Wish List both superload Game:changeLevel(), so they could conceivably be crossing each other. Was this an Ashes-specific character? (For that matter, was it an undead character? and if so, were you wearing the Cloak?)

[Hmm, actually, looking at that log snippet again, I think it might be a Steam-level log file, which wouldn't have the information I need. For Steam on Windows, the game-level log file I'd need is called te4_log.txt, I think, and would be somewhere in your Steam directory; perhaps other commenters could give us more preicise information?]

Answers not in any specific order, but the context should be better this way: this is with a Ghoul, so not Ashes-specific, but undead and wearing the Cloak ... and actually in the dungeon prior to this sequence, I'd been wearing a different cloak (and hadn't done you-know-what yet) so I waited to put the Cloak back on until I was on the surface, hoping to trigger the warning, and I didn't get a warning as I left the dungeon. I am wearing it while this is happening.

I moved the Ghoul to Derth and tried there, and got the same error trying to load a different shop's list.

te4_log.txt is attached - it was in the TalesMajEyal folder in my Steam library. As you suspected, it's an error in ShowStore ... but it's actually Store Wish List throwing the error.
Code:
Lua Error: ...ddons/store_wishlist/superload/mod/dialogs/ShowStore.lua:59: attempt to index global 'list_by' (a nil value)
   At [C]:-1 __index
   At ...ddons/store_wishlist/superload/mod/dialogs/ShowStore.lua:59 c
   At /engine/ui/ListColumns.lua:270 drawRow
   At /engine/ui/ListColumns.lua:609 display
   At /engine/ui/Inventory.lua:291 display
   At /engine/ui/Dialog.lua:824 toScreen
   At /engine/Game.lua:179 display

So it's not necessarily your add-on by itself; it seems to be the combination of the two? (I can try a character with Cloak Reminder enabled and Store Wish List disabled, but I suspect that's going to work just fine!)

I'm obviously new to this board, so I'm not sure how add-on conflicts get resolved. Should I post in the Store Wish List thread, or is this something you want to look into first?

Attachments:
te4_log.txt [197.89 KiB]
Downloaded 66 times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 am 
Perspiring Physicist

zlionsfan wrote:
I'm obviously new to this board, so I'm not sure how add-on conflicts get resolved.

Cage match jelly wrestling. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm 

HousePet wrote:
Cage match jelly wrestling. :mrgreen:

lol! As long as they aren't red jellies. I don't like those.

Zizzo, I got the same error today with a living character and Cloak Reminder not loaded, so that makes me think the timing was a coincidence, and that it may be an issue only with the other add-on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

zlionsfan wrote:
Code:
Lua Error: ...ddons/store_wishlist/superload/mod/dialogs/ShowStore.lua:59: attempt to index global 'list_by' (a nil value)
   At [C]:-1 __index
   At ...ddons/store_wishlist/superload/mod/dialogs/ShowStore.lua:59 c
   At /engine/ui/ListColumns.lua:270 drawRow
   At /engine/ui/ListColumns.lua:609 display
   At /engine/ui/Inventory.lua:291 display
   At /engine/ui/Dialog.lua:824 toScreen
   At /engine/Game.lua:179 display

[sound F/X: source diving] :shock: :? *blink...* :oops: :| [sound F/X: commits ritual seppuku] Well, thanks for catching a spectacularly idiotic typo in the recent release of Store Wish List a couple days ago. I had missed it in testing because mod.dialogs.ShowStore is one of the files for which I have to manually copy changes over to ZOmnibus, and I got it right in the ZOmnibus copy. :roll: I've pushed out a new release of Store Wish List to fix the problem. We Apologize for the Error.™ :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:32 am 

No worries! Glad it was easy to fix. I'm a web dev, so all too familiar with that type of problem myself.

Now ... back to using both add-ons! :D