ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:28 am 
Cornac

Will you release a version for 1.0.1? :D

And I noticed some of the monsters don't have custom tiles yet (example: Dreaming Horror) and some tiles are a bit more 'blocky' than the other nicely done textures (example: some of the townsfolk)

P.S. I have been noticing the custom tile of Urkis for some time now, well played. Genius. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am 

I second that notion. A version for 1.0.1 and mroe work to fix the missing tiles would be cool :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 am 
Archmage

hey guys, sorry about the hold up oldrpg for 1.01. i've actually done alot of work on it since 1.0, and i mean alot. I would say 40% of the pack has been reworked in one way or another, all for the better. You can see some of the previews on the previous pages to see where the pack is heading, and I feel that it could be professional quality at some point in the near future!

But, unfortunately, I feel that I've hit a roadblock in development of Old RPG. I'm kind of burnt out at this point, and I honestly don't think I've even logged a new player since 1.0.1 came out. I haven't had the desire to update the addon like before, I don't play for hours like I used to, not feeling the urge to update new sprites that come out, can't bring myself to squash two bugs on the barbarian addon I spent a couple weeks working on, and just in general think that I got too much of a great game and kind of shelved it for a bit.

I really, really hate this feeling of apathy toward ToME too, mostly because I've put so much time and love into old rpg, and it is so close to being finished that I do not want to waste my energies by leaving it 85% done. That would be the last thing I ever wanted to do with my first entry into the game art world. I guess this is where I ask you guys for honest opinions on what you think I should do here.

To be honest, I am kind of holding onto the next version of with some sort of distorted view that it might hold some monetary value to me. And I am really pondering this option, if it even is an option, since I recently lost my job. I'm not going to go into that because honestly, who cares, but I really would like to pursue a profession in game design at some point in my life and why not now? I think that with this project I've shown myself and many others (2,400 downloads!) that I am capable of creating, at least visually, a somewhat cohesive and I dare say, pretty good looking video game world!

Now, I'm not going to be unrealistic here. I realize that the monsters, and many other things in this pack are not my work. I may have touched them up, but I did not design those wonderful sprites that give this pack so much life an give so many old rpg users that feeling of nostalgia while they play darkgod's amazing creation. ToME has enjoyed success from many different parts of the world, and I know this because I used the internet to look it up one night. I found that from Japan and China, to Russia, to the UK and the rest of europe and the US, South America, Korea, Indonesia. Lots of people have downloaded old RPG and even talked about it or recommended it to others. It was mentioned on Rock, Paper, Scissors as highly recommended in the ToME write up (which was the best feeling in the world!). People on Something Awful and Reddit have talked about Old RPG, often. It was mentioned on wikipedia!! These facts have convinced me deep inside that I should at least look into getting paid to do this type of work.

I was thinking about stripping it of all content that was ever used in a commercial game from OldRPG. This would mean 90% of the NPC tiles, and roughly 75% of the object tiles, along with some scattered other things. There would be about 400 or so tiles that would need to be replaced with my own work if I would even dream of charging someone for this. This would take a considerable amount of time and effort for me to accomplish, but if things went okay I would even heavily consider upgrading the 16x16 terrain to 32x32. As a matter of fact, I should probably go to 32x32 for everything while I'm at it. Terrain, monsters, players, all 32x32, but with lower resolutions kept in mind to keep compatibility good. Eh, I'm getting ahead of myself. We are talking about an addon for ToME here. That I want to charge money for.

Can someone talk some sense into me please?

Also, I've started working on another project for another well known roguelike, Cataclysm if anyone's interested! I've only been going at it a week or so, but I just put up the first alpha a few hours ago. This one is all original work by me, from the ground up but since it is unfinished it still has some place holder tiles from Deon's cataclysm tileset. I feel like it will be a good portfolio piece when it's finished, which should be about another week or so. The pack already has modable player tiles, which I hope DG likes, and also features cartoonish graphics inspired by the 16bit era rpgs, yet in a modern real world zombie holocaust setting. Blood, acid, and bile splatters are in, as are breakable windows and doors, explosions, zombies based on cornacs and highers from oldrpg, and much more! Please check it out!

Here's a screenshot and thelink to the forum thread on the Cataclysm DDA forums if you want to take a peek.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
Archmage

If you reworked the stuff that was from other games, I'd be happy to pay you for OldRPG, as long as I didn't have to keep buying it over and over again everytime a new release came out. If ToME ever hits Steam, maybe you could sell OldRPG as DLC for it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 pm 
Higher

To be honest, I don't actually think it' be a bad idea so long as it is not too onerously priced/requiring repayment with every patch. Requiring something with a formal expansion (See: orc campaign or naga campaign) might be acceptable depending on how much "new" content there is. I also second the suggestion of making it paid DLC. So long as DarkGod is ok with it, I don't really see any reason not to.

We're doing an awful job of talking you out of it, aren't we?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm 
Sher'Tul

Im all about freedom of information, and freedom of content, freedom of software, open source, blah blah blah which is why I love Linux so much.

However, I also understand a dudes gotta eat :) you arent some big corporation that I would be sticking it to like using Linux over Windo....er I mean, A free piece of software over a paid-for one.

I donated for ToME because I honestly felt it was worth it. And I would glady toss a couple bucks / Euros your way to access your content as long as its not priced to be a silly amount just to make my game look a little different.

I should also mention that while I would glady pay to access your content, I wont be. I never could get into the OldRPG tileset just isnt my thing. No offense I know you put a lot of work into it and I know plenty of people love it, just isnt for me. That should make you glad to know you have the support of someone who wont even be using your content!

Also to play devils advocate I should probably mention, I dont think Shockbolt is compensated in any way for his art is he?? Just saying :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm 
Sher'Tul

Sradac wrote:
Also to play devils advocate I should probably mention, I dont think Shockbolt is compensated in any way for his art is he?? Just saying :lol:

I believe he has received something. Similarly the music guys I believe has also received donations from our donations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

But I thought these were just one time payments, in the case of the music guys anyway, because darkgod WANTED to support them, rather then them receiveing a continuous stream of money for there music in tome? But I'm not on the inside of these events, so maybe others know otherwise?

As for OldRPG.... No offense, but I wouldn't pay for it. I love your add-on, but I'm a cheap bastard. I donated to tome, after getting much mileage out of everything from classic tome2, way back when, up to now, over 10 years... and that's a hell of a lot more content then just some graphics. Even he only got one donation, though I might donate ONCE more if he does something really significant, but just paying for some graphics is too much like those Freemium games that want to sell you bonuses.

Now, that said, I wouldn't object to you trying to sell your tiles, or at least offering free (like tome) and asking for donations. While I don't think selling them just for a different set of graphics is gonna work, all those freemium games seem to support themselves somehow... Beyond that, I wholly encourage you to try and push your work to other game designers, your original work has certainly been very reminiscent of my early rpg games, and it's an art style that speaks to some. Basing a whole game around your tiles sounds like a good future for you. By all means, continue to pursue the possibility of interesting others in your tiles... But if oldrpg goes pay-to-use, I doubt I'd want it. Doubly so if I had to go through Steam for it.

(TL;DR... I won't pay for oldrpg, but you have enough talent to sell your tiles to other game developers, and you should certainly try to do so.)

DarkGod has two arms, one with an opened hand, one with a closed fist. You got the fist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 pm 
Low Yeek

I agree with Crim, with the thing that I'm also a cheap bastard and I don't think I will pay for a "DLC" of a free game. But at the very least you could put a donation button in the post.

BTW: It is awsome that you made a tileset for Cataclysm DDA. I just saw the game on jefmajors YouTube and tried it myself. After that I looked in their Forum for tilesets and saw a good tileset from exacly the guy who made the best tileset for TOME which I was using the whole time. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm 
Sher'Tul

i dont currently use your tileset. But unlike these guys I'm done being a cheap bastard. I'll donate if you setup a paypal. Getting from 85% to 100% is going to be as much work as getting to 85% was. But I would not like to see you lost to the community as I think youve done an awesome job!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm 
Archmage

Wow, thanks for the total honesty guys. I appreciate you taking the time to explain what you really think, and am not disappointed by what I've read at all. I will take your comments into consideration as I move down this road!

I've pretty much decided to open a donation page in the very near future since rent is due very soon. I could really use some extra funds at this time, as my next job won't be starting for a few weeks. I just really hate to do this though as it's been traditionally very hard for me to accept hand outs, for lack of a better term. Between this and cataclysm, I think that I realistically could do this at a professional level very soon. I would also feel compelled to reward any donators in one way or another, whether it be getting their own npc sprite or something on a larger sclale. Not sure on that yet, but I would really enjoy doing something like that.

Anyways, on to the good news, OldRPG for 1.0.1, now available from te4.org !

http://te4.org/sites/default/files/game ... rpg_0.teaa

Have fun! (Thanks Rex, your work is in here)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 am 
Wyrmic

daftigod wrote:
Thanks Rex, your work is in here

Hey, no problem - it was fun. You can think of it as my small contribution. :wink:

btw, have you done something on your lovely status effects overlays - I believe they can be linked quite easily with nate's fx4fx addon.

Cheers and good luck down the road

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 am 
Archmage

hey guys, I reworked some of the terrain to 32x32 to see what it would look like. what do you think? :)

Attachments:
new-terrain-2.png
new-terrain-2.png [ 205.75 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
new-terrain-1.png
new-terrain-1.png [ 119.46 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 am 
Wyrmic

I would say definitely better, but you know my preferences :) Still, I think this way you've made a good contrast between the floors and walls/trees/etc. and also the characters stand out.
Sum: great work!

BTW, have you ever stumbled upon http://opengameart.org/? There are some nice graphics that can be used with OldRPG (I think) and everything is open source/free

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

......Annnnnnnnddd Tome just made the leap from NES to SNES. HOORAY!!!!

:wink:

Release :) Let's get this rolling ASAP!

DarkGod has two arms, one with an opened hand, one with a closed fist. You got the fist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next