ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 pm 
Offline
Low Yeek

Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm
Posts: 8
I don't know if that guide is good or bad, what I *do* know for sure, that even a terrible guide is way better than no guide at all. Maybe the pro's underestimate how much the lack of up-to-date guides hurts the game, I gifted/recommended tome to some friends: not everyone has the time and/or patience to run the same class over and over again, till they find a working skill set. The fact that a) it's easy to spec a char in a way that makes even normal a brickwall and b) respeccing isn't easy, doesn't make it better.

Just saying...Zarah,the noob, out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 10:28 pm
Posts: 169
I'll make a mindslayer guide eventually once I finally get a win, i've been theorycrafting some insane shit this last week, and also found a bit of an abusable mechanic with augmentation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:51 pm 
Offline
Wyrmic

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:56 pm
Posts: 204
dadito wrote:
I'll make a mindslayer guide eventually once I finally get a win, i've been theorycrafting some insane shit this last week, and also found a bit of an abusable mechanic with augmentation

That's what this guide is :) I'm assuming you're talking about augmentation + PES

_________________
Spamming Windtouched Speed since 1.5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
i don't know how you managed to literally manage to fail to invest properly in anything on this class and still try and pass this off as a good build, but congratulations anyway???

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
ZarahNeander wrote:
I don't know if that guide is good or bad, what I *do* know for sure, that even a terrible guide is way better than no guide at all. Maybe the pro's underestimate how much the lack of up-to-date guides hurts the game, I gifted/recommended tome to some friends: not everyone has the time and/or patience to run the same class over and over again, till they find a working skill set. The fact that a) it's easy to spec a char in a way that makes even normal a brickwall and b) respeccing isn't easy, doesn't make it better.

Just saying...Zarah,the noob, out


any guide that suggests to go antimagic on classes that aren't oozemancer are automatically worse than no guide, the fact that he's screwed up the skill investment on this beyond repair after that is even worse

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:06 am 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
it's offensive that you would think antimagic is the optimal choice for any class at all, and the fact you somehow missed out on investing in MS' best abilities is even worse

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:16 am 
Offline
Wyrmic

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:56 pm
Posts: 204
ster wrote:
it's offensive that you would think antimagic is the optimal choice for any class at all, and the fact you somehow missed out on investing in MS' best abilities is even worse

I think it's more offensive to be that single-minded, but all right.

_________________
Spamming Windtouched Speed since 1.5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:00 pm 
Offline
Wyrmic

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:55 pm
Posts: 241
ster wrote:
any guide that suggests to go antimagic on classes that aren't oozemancer are automatically worse than no guide, the fact that he's screwed up the skill investment on this beyond repair after that is even worse


One could say the same about guides that rely entirely on bug exploitation. At least San0ix's guide is legitimate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:33 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
tabs wrote:
ster wrote:
any guide that suggests to go antimagic on classes that aren't oozemancer are automatically worse than no guide, the fact that he's screwed up the skill investment on this beyond repair after that is even worse


One could say the same about guides that rely entirely on bug exploitation. At least San0ix's guide is legitimate.

i'm not dado's alt funnily enough, if he wants to abuse the bug let him (i won insaneRL with a first draft of the build with no snapshotting, and got the "optimal" mindstar build to level 42 then got screwed out of naloren)

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:56 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 10:28 pm
Posts: 169
I'm pretty sure sanoix knew about the snapshotting mechanic seeing the comment he made in response to mine, he just didn't post the method on the guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:45 pm
Posts: 20
Cheers for the guide, much appreciated. Just a normal roguelike player here but for some reason I find Mindslayer the most intimidating to wrap my head around (most likely due to the wall of text on each ability). Very nice to have an image to work off at a glance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 492
dadito wrote:
I'm pretty sure sanoix knew about the snapshotting mechanic seeing the comment he made in response to mine, he just didn't post the method on the guide

spoiler, he did abuse snapshot but wasn't blatant about it (and the win has a completely different and even worse-looking build to the one here lol)

_________________
<Shibari> You're full of shit
<darkgod #tome> ster is a troll
<Sheila> and ster, i do agree with you on most things game-related, but do try to not be such an ass!
<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
Cornac

Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 39
Hello community,

So I am a relative beginner (only like 50h in the game, no wins yet brought a Bulwark to the East and messed around with some other classes like Sun Paladii). Yet, the mindslayer is a really attractive class from a thematic standpoint, as well as a gameplay standpoint for me. However, it''s seems there are many ways to screw up your build, since this topic teaches me that something can de worse than nothing. So, what is a beginner to do? The other guide requires ogre''s and some weird mechanics I can't make sense of.

If you were to give a handful of tips to a beginner about player a minds layer, what would you say?

Also, although many guides on many classes tell you how many points to invest in what, it is often left implicit when points should be put into something. However, for me it is far from clear what at any level is the wisest investment.

Spreeuw


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 138
Honestly, Mindslayers are good enough that its hard to screw yourself over on Normal. My first win ever was with a casteresque Antimagic Mindslayer that used gems in the TK slot and whose primary weapons were aura spiking and the Focus category. Most of the above are bad ideas on high difficulties, and yet I still won.

That said, best practices for Mindslayers seem to boil down to the following:
-TK wield as big a weapon as you can. Use mindstars in your real hands once you can get good ones.
-Prioritize talents that give you survivability above all else. Wielding a free weapon already gives you absurd damage, so make sure you survive long enough to actually use it.
-For actual damage, get 3/5 Telekinetic Smash, one point in all of the "Strike" talents and max Frenzied Focus as soon as you can. Weapon mastery talents also help quite a bit since they give you %damage increases and a sizable physpower boost.

The "weird mechanics" basically boil down to this:

-There's a DLC, Embers of Rage, that gives you a prodigy called Pain Enhancement System.
-Said prodigy increases all your other stats by your strength score for five turns after you score a critical hit
-Mindslayer has a talent called Augmentation, which increases your strength score based on your willpower
-Combining those two means that your strength increases all your stats, and willpower increases your strength. This is pretty silly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 pm 
Offline
Cornac

Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm
Posts: 39
Thank you very much!
What are your thoughts on the Voracity class tree and the Generic Finer Energy Manipulation and Augmented mobility trees?
They seem kind of lackluster to me when you wield mindstars later in the game?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group