ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How much has changed?`
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:38 am 
Offline
Low Yeek

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 am
Posts: 6
I've more-or-less just started playing, and I'm wondering how much has changed for the Solipsist since 2012 or so. So many of the guides and comments are from around that era, and it feels as if things are significantly more difficult than is being suggested.

To use a specific example, I was trying to make a Solipsist w/o much in the way of sleep, and that felt like a significant mistake. There were so few ways to deal with anything The Master summoned that I was overwhelmed almost immediately. Psychoportation helped for the 3 rounds it took for The Master to teleport to follow, and after that it just wasn't working. While I'm sure part of the issue was that The Master was able to see me from the entrance to the floor (or very near to that point- he certainly saw me while I was in that first room), It just didn't feel as if the required tools were there.

Any thoughts on this? Have there been any significant changes since that time? It feels as if you absolutely need to tank a ton of incoming fire after he summons, but with the shield taking 1 turn and you having to have already taken damage, that doesn't seem likely.

Edit: For the record, I was playing Thalore. Has /that/ been nerfed? It felt pretty rough having to do all those sections at lvl 21.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:07 am 
Offline
Spiderkin

Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Posts: 510
Jenx's advice is still solid, worked great for me at least.

Solipsist is an incredible powerhouse if you know what you are doing but they have so many strange skills (solipsism tree for example) that it can take while if you don't read any advice.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38222

_________________
1.4.X Paradox mage guide for high level play


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:38 am 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 am
Posts: 122
I just went east with a no-sleep Yeek Solipsist who is kicking butt, aided by two vault-stashed overpowered mindstars. I'm using Solipsism and Feedback for shields and healing. Disruption tree is great because of the long-range; toss a Maelstrom in at the start of boss fights, then use the rest of the tree to devastate beasties while they are caught in the storm. Good times. Granted, the fast leveling of the Yeek and those mindstars are making this easier than it should be, but I think the same strategy should work for you. I wasted the BOL after dying to... the Blood Master. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. But I still have high hopes for my first Roguelike win.

http://te4.org/characters/7776/tome/78d ... 7c9f7d7b61


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:44 am 
Offline
Higher

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 am
Posts: 58
I skipped sleep and went.... with lots of other stuff, mostly dream smith and distortion.
Take a look:

http://te4.org/characters/31725/tome/53 ... 2602d2e33b

I actually think taking the dream stuff makes the class harder because it's so finicky trying to rely on it instead of solid defensive skills that are more universally helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 pm
Posts: 126
Master shouldnt be a problem at all

* Master doesnt have super high mind res. Abuse inner demons. When you see 1-2 inner demons just step back and watch via track Most of the time inner deamons starts to summon their own minions and things escalate quickly :)
* Silence from antimagic tree. It will shut him down for a few turns on normal / nightmare. While silenced he can either move or summon minions or use basic attack. His range damage goes to zero.
* When he summon minions use maelstorm and depending on you position go melee 1on1 master or teleport when there is high chance of getting hit by minions
* distortion debuff + dream hammer + mind sear combination is surprisingly effective vs silenced master. You need 2-3 turns for each kill.

You might want to check my latest Solipsist http://te4.org/characters/104175/tome/5 ... 81e549d87c . Im quite sure i got my class talents right. Sadly i cant say the same about generic talents :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 pm 
Offline
Low Yeek

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 am
Posts: 6
How do you tank things before your feedback shield is up? The combination of a couple skeleton mages and The Master was significantly more than I could deal with. That also assumes that the shield has enough uptime to be valuable, and in the end it's a one-turn-cost 200ish point heal, which still doesn't seem like enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 pm 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 pm
Posts: 126
BoardroomHero wrote:
How do you tank things before your feedback shield is up? The combination of a couple skeleton mages and The Master was significantly more than I could deal with. That also assumes that the shield has enough uptime to be valuable, and in the end it's a one-turn-cost 200ish point heal, which still doesn't seem like enough.


As solipsist i completely ignore hp (and i use hp gear till i find/buy heroism). My nightmare winner http://te4.org/characters/104175/tome/2 ... 11e8b914e3 had less than 300hp and poor resistances but i had heroic infusion up most of the time. Additional 1000 hp effectively triples my hp and makes me super tanky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 pm 
Offline
Higher

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 am
Posts: 58
Yeah +raw HP gear doesn't care about your hp per con penalty. High levels of raw hitpoints give you a huge bonus on solipsists (from dismiss and the +psi per healing boost. Keep those regen infusions up!) and mindslayers (from shields).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:56 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 2263
Mankeli wrote:
Jenx's advice is still solid, worked great for me at least.

Solipsist is an incredible powerhouse if you know what you are doing but they have so many strange skills (solipsism tree for example) that it can take while if you don't read any advice.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38222


Yes, my guide works just fine for 1.1.5. In fact, Solipsists are stronger now with some tweaks to talents in Feedback and Solipsism trees.

My advice: go 2/0/0/0 or 3/0/0/0 in solipsism tree and avoid dreamforge generic tree. and max nightmare tree. the rest you can build in various ways. I always go sleep heavy, but I've also played distortion, dream smith, etc.

_________________
MADNESS rocks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 am 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 am
Posts: 123
jenx wrote:
Mankeli wrote:
Jenx's advice is still solid, worked great for me at least.

Solipsist is an incredible powerhouse if you know what you are doing but they have so many strange skills (solipsism tree for example) that it can take while if you don't read any advice.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38222


Yes, my guide works just fine for 1.1.5. In fact, Solipsists are stronger now with some tweaks to talents in Feedback and Solipsism trees.

My advice: go 2/0/0/0 or 3/0/0/0 in solipsism tree and avoid dreamforge generic tree. and max nightmare tree. the rest you can build in various ways. I always go sleep heavy, but I've also played distortion, dream smith, etc.


In solipsism i usually do 2/5/5/5 not worth it? Global speed? Using mental saveS? Dismissal?

I noticed sleeping targets do get save vs inner demons where as before they didnt.

Anybody succesfully used projection / mind link?

If you are playing sleep heavy, how do you deal with inmune to sleep targets?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:53 pm 
Offline
Uruivellas

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 am
Posts: 786
sofocles wrote:
jenx wrote:
Mankeli wrote:
Jenx's advice is still solid, worked great for me at least.

Solipsist is an incredible powerhouse if you know what you are doing but they have so many strange skills (solipsism tree for example) that it can take while if you don't read any advice.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38222


Yes, my guide works just fine for 1.1.5. In fact, Solipsists are stronger now with some tweaks to talents in Feedback and Solipsism trees.

My advice: go 2/0/0/0 or 3/0/0/0 in solipsism tree and avoid dreamforge generic tree. and max nightmare tree. the rest you can build in various ways. I always go sleep heavy, but I've also played distortion, dream smith, etc.


In solipsism i usually do 2/5/5/5 not worth it? Global speed? Using mental saveS? Dismissal?

I noticed sleeping targets do get save vs inner demons where as before they didnt.

Anybody succesfully used projection / mind link?

If you are playing sleep heavy, how do you deal with inmune to sleep targets?


Dismissal and Balance are pretty bad, I only take 1 point in each. Also you should put no less than 3/5 in Solipsism since you should definitely have the psi to not get doubleturned easily. Projection/Mind Link is tedious and I don't recommend it, especially since the massive Mental Tyranny nerf. Don't ever go full sleep because you cannot deal with sleep immune enemies at all. 5/5/1/5 in Distortion and 5/5 Mind Sear is good enough for clearing those enemies, so you should be okay with just spending 21 points on standard offense trees and the rest on sleep or whatever.

_________________
My wiki page, which contains a guide and resource compilation and class tier list.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group