ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:09 am 
Spiderkin

I finally have a very succesful melee dwarf mindslayer character going, yay! No deaths, just cleared the last of the backup guardians. Scorpion king gauntlets + the regular mind hook make this guy actually kind of "mobile" and TK weapon hits every time you pull a monster towards you.

My build: Currently wielding two two-handed weapons but I'm gonna switch to mindstars/TK two-hander very soon as I've understood that is the ultimate source of melee damage. I've pumped wil, con and cun in that order. Also gonna unlock finer energy manipulations to improve weapons for ultimate melee bump damage.

This feels like a very powerful build but I have no idea what prodigies to get! Mental tyranny would be obvious if I prefered mind based attacks but I'm not and haven't stacked any mind damage.

Would flexible combat be good? Is the attack ego on the scorpion gauntlets good (because they are probably my endgame handwear). Does it trigger for the TK-weapon as well?

What about windblade? Dual wielding mindstars does count, right?

I have acces to irresistible sun (because of the golden three-edged sword) but the damage seems bad for this character.

Draconic body is probably not that great because I can't tank with HP (-4 class aptitude) anyways?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 pm 
Higher

Psiblades on lots of mindstars do mind damage, so mental tyranny is a very strong choice. And yes, dual-wielding them counts for windblade. Those are the two I chose and it worked very well for me.

Irresistable sun scales off strength, which you probably won't be stacking as much as will. Flexible combat might be okay but I don't know if it procs from mind-wielded items, and you'll get more benefit from it by dual-wielding.

Definitely go for the weapon/armor manipulating abilities, they really, really help you. In fact, I would recommend getting that at level 10 for the mindstar damage boost (at tier 1, it more than doubles their damage with a single point).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Uruivellas

Mankeli wrote:
Would flexible combat be good? Is the attack ego on the scorpion gauntlets good (because they are probably my endgame handwear). Does it trigger for the TK-weapon as well?

Let's see...

Code:
dam = 24,
apr = 10,
physcrit = 10,
physspeed = 0.15,
dammod = {dex=0.4, str=-0.6, cun=0.4,},
damrange = 0.3,
talent_on_hit = { T_BITE_POISON = {level=3, chance=20}, T_PERFECT_CONTROL = {level=1, chance=5}, T_QUICK_AS_THOUGHT = {level=3, chance=5}, T_IMPLODE = {level=1, chance=5} },

The base damage and crit chance fall nicely between stralite and voratun, the combat speed is slightly faster than regular gauntlets, and the stat mods and damage range are standard gauntlet stats.

Which leaves us with the talents. TL3 Poisonous Bite does an extra attack for... it looks like about 500% weapon damage; the ensuing poison (which is always applied unless the target shrugs it off) does 1/6 of that damage per turn for 5 turns.

The other three talents are Mindslayer talents from Finer Energy Manipulation, Augmented Mobility, and Grip, respectively.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:20 pm 
Sher'Tul

For me the obvious choice would be Superpower.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 am 
Spiderkin

Thanks a lot everyone!

No action has yet been made, haven't continued with the character yet.

@Darkmere: I can switch to mindstars right now If I so choose and improve psiblades to 5/5. So that would make FC more viable, I guess. I have to check out the damage type of my best inventory mindstars for the possibilty of Mental Tyranny. Or I an skip MT for now and possibly go for it at level 42 when I have cleared more places and have end-gamish gear.

@Mewtarthio: Ok, so the damage procs on gauntlets seem ok although the special effect isn't that great I guess (compared to dispersion or sand or whatever).

@Faeryan: + 30% willpower mod would be nice for bumbing things but I haven't pumped St and only have about 50 of it via augmentation. So flexible combat with dual-mindstars might be better, maybe(?).

Augmentation really gives one room the choose the prodigies from. My character can -or is in the verge of being able to- pick a prodigy from St, Dex, Wil, Con and Cun. If I choose to pick only one straight up MOAR melee bump damage prodigy instead of 2, I could also pick Giant Leap.

Decisions, decisions :lol:. Hopefully I have the time to play more very soon.