ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:11 am 
Halfling

http://te4.org/characters/105910/tome/d ... 511ecebc83

Here is the character! This is the 2 highest lv a ghoul solipsist has got in this game! I was hoping to make him the first winner but got to try again and hope the merchant doesnt rail me again and give me gear that would be good for a melee person! I didnt have luck with gear and made a few mistakes! So next try will be a bit better I hope! Any suggestions on how to make this better would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 am 
Sher'Tul

I don't really have much experience on Solipsists so I wouldn't know what to fix but took a look at your char cause I was curious.

You said Urthol screwed you over, I say you Urthol'd him good. That mindstar you had there named 'What is this' is just plain insane with its damage bonuses. That's 99 added damage on the mindstar on top of what it does and 47 added global damage whenever you hit with any weapon. Add in a telekinetically wielded staff or two.. actually don't add, that thing hits like a truck even without the added proc damage bonus.

I guess it's too late to say but vault the babies!!!

Ohhh, not sure if it was some bug or something, but you have two of those same mindstars in your inventory. Not like one wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am 
Halfling

Because it had the ability to split! I know they had great damage but I am solipsist! I need mindpower and mind crit not melee damage! The goal of a solipsist is to not get hit but can tank if they do! The items I got were good item just not for what I was trying to do! The mind power of both of those awesome mindstars were not even the mind power of a single mindstar I had! That is the problem I had! I could have been a melee monster but that isnt my goal! For a mindslayer or oozemancer those are cream in your pants, change pants and cream in those good! The other item he screwed me on was my amulet! Like i said before great item just not what I was needed! I am needing mind damage, mind power, and things of that type!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 pm 
Sher'Tul

Well, there's your window of improvement. When you come across something new and powerful you need to weigh it over whether you're better off on your set path or if there's a reason to adapt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 pm 
Halfling

I know! I did weight it! Just I lost too much damage in my mind sear to gain melee damage!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:45 pm 
Sher'Tul

Dude. I love the enthusiasm, but you might want to dial back a bit on those exclamation points.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm 
Halfling

It is just how I type! If you knew me it fits!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 am 
Archmage

Mayfair wrote:
I don't really have much experience on Solipsists so I wouldn't know what to fix but took a look at your char cause I was curious.

You said Urthol screwed you over, I say you Urthol'd him good. That mindstar you had there named 'What is this' is just plain insane with its damage bonuses. That's 99 added damage on the mindstar on top of what it does and 47 added global damage whenever you hit with any weapon. Add in a telekinetically wielded staff or two.. actually don't add, that thing hits like a truck even without the added proc damage bonus.

I guess it's too late to say but vault the babies!!!

Ohhh, not sure if it was some bug or something, but you have two of those same mindstars in your inventory. Not like one wasn't enough.

Those orange mindstars in the inventory had damage when the char gets hit, not when the char hits in melee. They were still very good.

Ever wonder why Tarelion sends you into the Abashed Expanse instead of a team of archmages lead by himself? They all figured "Eh, might as well toss that violent oaf up in there and see if he manages to kick things back into place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:09 am 
Sher'Tul

Indeed, but let's split the fight. The 47 damage was when hit but the 99 one was when that weapon hits. :p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:21 am 
Cornac

Congratulations on getting this far at least :)

If I may suggest a different build:

-put at least 1/1/1/1 in Slumber by level 24, so in dire situations you can relocate 4 points into Dreamscape, which is an absolutely wonderful escape mechanism and a really cool ability in general.
-put 5/5/1/5 into Distortion early, because Distortion is one of the strongest trees in game. You really shouldn't have ignored it! Not only does it add huge amounts of crowd control via distortion wave and Maelstrom, but it also does good damage AND has good synergy with Dream Smith
-put 5/5/5/0 into Dream Smith, because you won't need forge echoes if you have Distortion. Did I mention that Distortion reduces the physical resistances of enemies by 25%? Nice bonus for your dream hammer strikes!
-I can't believe you've ignored the Psionic/Dreaming tree! I would put 3/1/1 there at least! Lucid dreamer is a bargain because a single point gives you bonus damage and mental saves. Dreamwalk is a essentially a controlled phase door rune. With only a 3 point investment Sleep becomes a strong AoE disable that can buy you time. 2 more points will make it contagious.
-Mental Shielding - 2 points instead of 1 is better here. Most of the time when you get mental effect you also get brainlocked, which can be annoying.
-get Nightmare tree at level 20! Inner demons is one of the strongest, most devious abilities in game. Nightmare is another decent crowd control ability, although you can leave it at 1 and put points in it when needed (really helpful in pride entrances or the Ambush). Night Terror is a potent sustain.

If you want to save points, I would recommend:
-ditching Dismissal from Solipsism tree. It helps lower the damage you take, but won't help you much against tougher enemies who can hit you for hundreds of damage.
-same applies to the Dream Forge tree. It's alright, but the damage reduction isn't that noticeable. Get it if you have extra points and only for the Dreamforge talent. Forge Bellows can buy you some precious turns by breaking line of sight, but it's too situational to warrant permanent point investment.
-ditching Sunder Mind. It can actually be a decent skill to help with landing Inner Demons (lowered mental saves and all), but there are better talents to spend points on.

My skeleton solipsist winner! He ignored thoughtforms entirely, because on Nightmare thoughtforms have an annoying habit of alerting dangerous enemies, getting in the way of distortion bolts and not accomplishing very much at all. I didn't get a lot of mileage out of Hexes, because Restless Night breaks dazes and dominations (wish it was a sustain, not a passive!). Still, Domination Hex can be very fun with enough spell power and I used emphatic and burning hexes on tough enemies every now and then.

http://te4.org/characters/28466/tome/1c ... 7ce29eb31d

Best of luck, fellow undead bro.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:50 pm 
Halfling

Well I have looked at a lot of build and saw everyone using the dream stuff! I wanted to try without the dream! The problem with Distortion was I used it on another ghoul solipsist was it cost so much and I would drop myself every fight before the threshold and have major issues! So I ditched it for the thought form and started doing better! My next ghoul is going to run nightmare and mind sear! I still want the dream forge stuff! I not going to invest heavy in any of them but the final one! I enjoy that ability since as a ghoul in fights in sitting still a lot! But might not need it with the dream stuff so I might ditch it and just grab the armor or the first ability! But I like that tree! I only need 4 slot! Still trying to figure it out but got things I needed much earlier on my new one so doing a bit better so far! Just no stun res gear like my last one! The game loved giving him that and I loved it! The only death so far with the new one was burst damage and a stun so I had no options and got dead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 pm 
Cornac

Distortion isn't very expensive though, only Maelstrom costs a lot. But it has a very long cooldown, so it works out in the end.

Why would you not want Distortion? It's your only source of AoE stun, knockback and pseudo-pin (via Maelstrom). Once you'll have 5/5/1/3 in it (by level 15), you'll see just how amazing that tree is. It's a big mistake to ignore it, especially since psi costs will not be an issue by the time you're 20. If you really want to keep your psi-pool full, why not get Blood Caller ring from Ring of Blood before you hit level 23 and go to Dreadfell? It will heal you often enough to make ability psi costs a complete non-issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:32 pm 
Halfling

Well I didnt have issues without using that tree! When I play a non ghoul solipsist I get that tree but it cost so much early that a ghoul solipsist suffers hardcore! I might do what I am doing and try to get it instead of the hammer tree late game! I went that tree with my last one because the cost! I love that tree but the cost of that tree is 5, 10, 20, 30! While mind sear cost 5! I like the aoe and control of that tree but early game it sucks! It cost too much! I might try to get that last game and maybe some sleep stuff! I just have to remember that solipsist have a heal! A few of my death were because I would shield for 400+ thinking I was safe! Attack and then die! Forgetting the heal in general! But on the new one if I should remember that I think this do better even if I used the same build! Not sure if I am going nightmare or distortion but I should do better this one unless the game hoses me on gear again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

blargplean wrote:
http://te4.org/characters/105910/tome/d9d2ea06-4def-4f29-9ace-5b511ecebc83

Here is the character! This is the 2 highest lv a ghoul solipsist has got in this game! I was hoping to make him the first winner but got to try again and hope the merchant doesnt rail me again and give me gear that would be good for a melee person! I didnt have luck with gear and made a few mistakes! So next try will be a bit better I hope! Any suggestions on how to make this better would be great!

Read my guide for (Dwarven) Solipsists on the wiki. There is a lot information in there, often as notes to particular levels.

There are lots of things you can improve on, such as not using Dream Forge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 am 
Spiderkin

Jenx's guide is very good for a noob dwarf solipsist on normal roguelike/adventure. I've been using it and on my newest game and have cleared everything without deaths except Spellblaze in the West and now heading East. Thans jenx!

Now all I need is a Doomed Halfling guide :D