ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm 
Spiderkin

Is it feasible to go str/wil and use two two-handed weapons instead of going wil/cun and use mindstars on a mindslayer? I want to try a skeleton mindslayer but I heard (on these very forums) that they can't get psi-blades.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm 
Master Artificer

Oh, how this game has changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

If you're going melee, I'd look at triplewielding a Psi-greatsword, longsword, and dagger. That's because the game is balanced around a player having a maximum of 2 weapons at a time, so stats like +crit%, +damage on hit (wielder) and +damage% are 50% stronger for a mindslayer. As for viable, I know that they were very good back in the betas, and I don't think that they have been nerfed (despite Focus taking a good hit).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:13 am 
Spiderkin

Thanks lukep! I'll try that weapon combination as soon as I have the time. If if turns out well, I'll come back to report(/brag) :lol:.

Edit. Stupid noob questions: I can mix axes, swords and mauls freely, right, without penalties? So that I'd have, say, one greatmaul, one long sword and one dagger? I am already aware that no classes other than reavers can wield a non-dagger in their off-hand (excluding mindstars).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Yup. No penalties for mixing up weapon types.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:14 pm 
Master Artificer

Do note that daggers use a separate mastery from the rest of those, so you'll have to keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:10 am 
Spiderkin

Yeah, with a skelly mindslayer you are really tight on generics as is.

I gave this one a go, currently at level 21 normal/roguelike heading for Dreafell or the Caldera (haven't decided yet) wielding three weapons. I'm not sure going str/wil instead of wil/cun is such a smart idea after all and here is why:

1) Your psi-weapon uses wil and cun in place of str and dex (so my str investment is useless for this weapon)

2) Your two locked talent categories use cunning heavily (I'm not sure about finer energy manipulations and don't care because I won't have enough generics to spend there). IIRC even the first level of the last talent in the augmented mobility tree requires 38 cun! I don't have many good places to put my talent points on anymore, maybe I'll unlock the augmented mobility tree and invest in the few level of talents I can. I used the first cat point for a rune slot and if I had a third decent shielding rune, I would maybe invest the second point there.

EDIT. Not to mention all those talents that benefit from psi-mindstar...
EDIT 2. Apparently one can't have any more than 2 runes of the same type.

That being said...my character is still alive and haven't had any near death experiences excluding that completely ridiculous rare forest troll with over 100 point damage darkness ranged attack in Trollmire (that really caught me off-guard and left my character with only 3 HP). Also the damage output feels pretty good and so far I've accomplished what I wanted: A thoroughly shielded character : two shielding runes, two mindslayer shields up at all times, bone armour and absorption for shield recharge if I need to spike up my shields makes this guy pretty hard to damage. In case my shielding runes are not enough for tough mobs, then I can spike my shields, if that's not enough, I can use bone armour. By the time bone armour ends, my shielding runes are already back online and I can use them. When the shielding rune fails my shields cooldowns have probably ended already so I can spike them again. Then, when the spike ends I can use absorption and immediately re-spike. Then I can use the other shielding rune. An by now my bone armour is soon coming out of cooldown so... :lol: Oh yeah, and skeletons have that near full HP (at the moment) skele-heal.

Of course the toughest mobs can punch trough my shielding runes etc. so you can't chain-shield indefinitely but the above is a pretty accurate description what happened against a heavy bone giant which are hard to damage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm 
Spiderkin

BTW since I'm pumping str and wil and mindpower is important for my character, wouldn't "Superpower" prodigy be pretty nifty for this build (assuming my character survives the horros of dreadfell and beyond)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 pm 
Uruivellas

Many prodigies can be useful, and superpower is one of them. Consider also flexible combat. Gloves generally have outstanding effects on hit and the opportunity to apply them 3 times/turn may be appealling. And of course Mental Tyranny and if you go antmagic Spell Feedback and Tricky Defense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm 
Spiderkin

Skeletons don't go antimagic but Mental Tyranny + Superpower sounds fun. Of course, all this is just pointless blabber because I'm most likely getting my character killed to a first Dreadfell rare anyways :lol: It took me while to understand that while the Master may seem like a joke to a very powerful PC, getting killed by a rare just couple of floors before is very possible.