ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm 
Higher

Winner using Temporal Form, 5/5 Providence, and first two Vile Life talents.

Acid Wave is actually really good and procced constantly on Elandar (stunting his damage a LOT for six turns every use), and Temporal Form punched through Argoniel's defenses so I took her out first-- even had time to close three portals without any enemies spawning from them.

However, I missed Healing Nexus on Elemental Harmony. Could have grinded Elandar out but decided to speed up the process by switching to Guardian Totem, which is pretty bad for all my spells, but it made things much less of a hassle. With Healing Nexus I probably wouldn't have needed to make the switch.

Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:43 am 
Higher

Got another winner here, this time relying only on Legacy of the Naloren as a damage prodigy, and then taking Cauterize as the second prodigy. It was actually surprisingly successful; although LotN oingn its own was not do 1000 damage on regular bump attacks like a more traditional ICCTW!+LotN build, it still does around that amount on upgraded Frenzy and Reckless Charge. So I kind of wiped the floor with Elandar, but Argoniel took out Aeryn, forcing me to close the portals.

I had a somewhat mediocre start. Typically I get lucky and get a lot of Strength-scaling infusions in the shops, but this time I wasn't so lucky, and NOTHING had Strength-scaling. However, I was able to nab Obliterator (T3 Artifact Greatmaul) from a Zigur storefront, and ended up having a much easier time after a grueling Alt Maze experience to collect the last bit of gold I needed.

Cauterize never triggered once, but having it on this character proved to be useful peace of mind given that I was already doing great damage, honestly.

Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 pm 
Halfling

What's so good about Rampage, anyway? I find it pretty underwhelming, and I would never recommend unlocking it at level 1 -- Cursed can't afford to sink class points into it before level 10 anyway. On a Cornac cursed, I would definitely prefer to start with a 4th inscription.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:35 pm 
Halfling

OrionJAnderson wrote:
What's so good about Rampage, anyway? I find it pretty underwhelming, and I would never recommend unlocking it at level 1 -- Cursed can't afford to sink class points into it before level 10 anyway. On a Cornac cursed, I would definitely prefer to start with a 4th inscription.

Underwhelming? +140% movespeed right of the bat, with extra attack speed on top of that, and no cancelling from doing something else then moving? This pretty much equals movement infusion, and leaves the inscription slot free. In my humble opinion, not something I would call underwhelming.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:07 am 
Halfling

This does NOT equal movement infusion.
Movement infusion make you immune to stuns and pins for a few turns and that is invaluable.
That said, rampage is still very good because, yeah, movement speed mostly but also attack speed are really nice to have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:04 pm 
Higher

Is it really not a good enough crutch to have at least one point in Rampage, etc. prior to Level 10? On Normal at least, it does great for me. If you're really just using the Cornac cat point for an early extra inscription, which one are you picking?

I could see startscumming for a damage spell inscription like Heat Beam to annihilate annoying early game Rare mobs as being advantageous, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:05 am 
Halfling

What has your experience with mindstar-using Cursed been? I am thinking that mindstars + PES could be a very nice combo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:22 am 
Halfling

LordKarasuman wrote:
I could see startscumming for a damage spell inscription like Heat Beam to annihilate annoying early game Rare mobs as being advantageous, I suppose.

Using a heat beam rune for early offensive power is a pretty bad idea given how weak they are, but you're thinking along the right lines; a mindblast torque from Zigur or Shatur will do the job just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:10 pm 
Halfling

Thanks for this excellent guide! It helped me get this guy to victory on Normal/Adventure. I took LoTN and Superpower as my prodigies, Surge as my sustain, and inscrip/inscrip/predation/fungus as my unlocks.

If I had any feedback for the guide it would be that Superpower should really be hammered-home as the best prodigy for Normal. With its bonus mindpower, almost nothing can save against your Gloom. I was getting gloom procs to stick on the final bosses, for example.