ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm 

I'm having trouble with a Thalore Wyrmic against the Orc Corruptor at the end of the AM quest. This was the character which the corruptor had for lunch last time: http://te4.org/characters/105256/tome/054fb9b9-d7ca-4a0b-862a-dc1f49381031. As I had no blight resistance, and the corruptor is pretty mobile, I failed to get it at a sufficient range, and even when I did, the bastard was really good at healing himself. Any advice for next time? I was thinking of going for Lightning Speed, but I don't know if getting close would be any guarantee of success at this stage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 pm 
Halfling

5/5 bellowing roar will be nice range and long lasting confuse which would help alot.

other than that counter the corruptor's specials - bone shield, diseases, blight dmg

bone shield: gloves of dispersion or first round in the fight should be a damage over time (that 1 acid breath ?) to wear down his bone shield without wasting high damage abilities.
diseases: penitence, staff of arcane supremacy, magical wild infusion
blight res

not sure what u mean by mobility.. maybe he has dark portal but other than that corruptors arent very mobile. be more mobile than him! (movement infusion, rush, lightening speed)
also some of the enemies before are rather weak, so can use the timewith them to position urslelf better before the corruptor spawns. he will spawn in the top right (afaik?), move there and then kill the last enemy before the corruptor. also make sure ur skillbar isnt on cooldown too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:46 am 
Sher'Tul

- For bone shield, the best answer is actually melee. Get yourself a decent movement infusion so that you can close in a single turn (while dodging around any projectiles) and melee attack, while stacking a number of "add 5 fire damage" "add 8 acid damage" gear (or whatever you find). Each of those little damage boosts counds as an individual hit, and thus takes off its own bone bit. Mindstar melee is particularly good at this, as you're swinging twice, and they often come packaged with those. Don't use any of your big hitter attacks until you've managed to clear off the bones.
-- DOTs are the next best thing, but melee is where it's at for wyrmics doing this.
- Put effort into dodging the drain spells. They give him back resources that he needs to hit you with other things, and I don't *think* that his vim is cheated (though I could be wrong).
- pack some magic wilds. Corrupters are big into larding magic debuffs on you, and a magic-capable wild or two can help a lot.
- Wait a few levels. He's pretty high level to start with, but he's effectively static - by the time he starts gaining levels in response to your levels, you should be well done with him. In particular, as a Thalore, taking the time to pick up a few levels of Guardian of the wood helps quite a lot. (not as much as it used to, but quite a bit). The extra blight resist is nice. The disease resist is nicer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:30 am 

I have put 1 point in Lightning Speed this time, this should help. I'm not too hot on spending a slot on a movement infusion, a magical wild infusion sounds more useful. The first thing I usually do with casters is to attempt to stun/confuse them, but of course, with his shield, he will only get the status effect (at best). I'll try and be more careful with my cooldowns this time (apart from the wonderful acid spray, with its low cooldown). Find +damage weapons shouldn't be too hard (as long as they're not Arcane-powered). I didn't know each damage type counted as a distinct hit. Using a damage over time attack on him at the beginning sounds like a good idea too, though I'm not sure if that would affect the bone shield.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:23 pm 
Halfling

dont underestimate movement infusions, its one of the best infusions imo. but u already have lightning speed so wyrmic can go without one i guess.

another thing i 4got is u can buy torques of clear diseases in zigur and thalore town. for like 8 gold. a useful addition to a magical wild infusion.

at this point of the game a magical wild infusion is good anyway, i would keep it at least until after tempest peak since its useful vs urkis too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 pm 
Uruivellas

Out of curiosity, why are you going antimagic? Wyrmics get Fungus for free, and they've got plenty to spend equilibrium on without the Antimagic tree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm 
Cornac

The orc corruptor uses Vim attacks and as there are rocks in the arena, make your way to the two in the north-west and try to dodge his spells because soon he'll run out of it. You want the two rocks so that you can get completely out of sight, while you heal. This is where the fight takes place, you let him see you - he hits you/casts something - you get back out of sight. You can right click / inspect him to check how much Vim he has, when he's too low to use his talents THEN you can chase him down.

Also, after first fighting everyone else you should click on Meditation as soon as the orc corruptor shows up. This will give you a heal bonus, a mental save as well as lowering your equilibrium while you duck and cover behind those rocks. You can actually keep Meditation on while that bone shield is active, seeing as even a 1 damage attack will take it down. He also has a Rune: Shield but it only lasts 4 turns if you can't burn through it.

Oh, and that bone shield starts with 5, generates a new one in 6 turns ( just the one, so left alone it would take 30 turns to get back to 5) but without Vim the corruptor really doesn't have any offense that you can't handle, you just have to wait him out which doesn't take that long. Also in your character file, you had the Rod of Annulment, which puts talents on cool down: this type of fight is prolly where you want to use something like that.

If you have a pretty good regen: infusion, it helps ( that 60 over 5 is blah). If you don't have one, you can always check out Anglowen before you go Anti-Magic as they usually have good ones. ( If you need money, you can always sell whatever Gems you have on you, they are worth quite a bit.) And Nature's Touch may not be a great heal, but it is an instant heal and works well with fungus, soo consider putting at least a point into it as its a life saver.

EDIT:
So wait him out, a real regen infusion, an instant heal and a wild: magical debuff and you should be all set.
http://te4.org/characters/63460/tome/f4 ... 919b04b6cd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 pm 

Thanks! Coincidentally, I have just invested in good regen with my new character, and it makes a world of difference. Combined with Nature's Touch, it makes you feel like a walking tank.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:59 pm 
Sher'Tul

For wyrmics, i strongly encourage both Lightning Speed and a movement infusion, at least as part of the long-term plan. Lightning speed is awesome, but by itself it takes a turn, which can get you killed. Movement infusion doesn't take you as far, but it's instant, which means that it's a great way to escape otherwise inevitable death.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm 
Higher

Go AM, use mana clash. And he is a pile of dead meat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:04 pm 
Sher'Tul

sehnsucht wrote:

Wow! I never thought about that. The orc corruptor they're fighting *IS* the AM quest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm 
Higher

Faeryan wrote:
sehnsucht wrote:

Wow! I never thought about that. The orc corruptor they're fighting *IS* the AM quest.

Sorry, didn't notice that