ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Marauder prodigies?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 pm 
Thalore

Any suggestions about what are the best ones and why?

My current marauder run (lvl35) is going on smoothly the combo is plenty of attacks : total thugery,momentun,blinding speed and adrenaline surge to make it last. My biggest enemy is damage shields of course , ive died a few times instantly just by forgetting to raise shields.
I cant seem to find anything specific to marauder:
- Eye of the tiger has the problem that you dont have that much stamina anyway so only for boses?
- Giant leap? I have 3/5 on step up and probably going to max it
- Bloodspring doesnt look bad but i didnt let melinda die... also im a skeleton so constatly using shields

Post subject: Re: Marauder prodigies?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:51 pm 
Higher

I just got to lvl 42, and I was having a tough time deciding on prodigies as well. I am dual wielding daggers, using adrenaline, total thuggery, and blinding speed (no momentum though).

I died twice in the Vor Armoury (after taking out the boss and getting to lvl 30) because I got sloppy and surrounded by high cryo/pyromancers. I had 100% stun immunity, but I only had rush and a few escapes (Dream Walk, Wanderer's Rest, 1 movement infusion, and the bunny hop). When I rushed a cryomancer only to have 4 more high casters hiding out of sight in the back of the armory, they teleported around, cast infernos, slowed me and disrupted Step Up and the movement infusion, and I had several unlucky teleports. I decided at that point to get Giant Leap for one more close/escape ability. I shouldn't have died if I had been playing more carefully, but if I had chosen Giant Leap before that encounter, I probably would have been able to destroy them. It can be used to instantly close huge distances, often killing instantly, triggering Step Up to let you close to the next target while keeping your movement infusion in reserve.

Now at lvl 42, I had to choose carefully between Windblade and Draconic Body. Given the all-out nature of my offense, I chose Windblade, and it works extremely well, and I made the decision based on the 40 CD of Draconic Body.

Consider that Windblade stacks with Greater Weapon Focus and Total Thuggery. My usual battle mode is to activate Heroism, Greater Weapon Focus, Wrath of the Shaloren, Adrenaline Surge, Blinding Speed, and Total Thuggery, then Giant Leap into the fray. Whirlwind and Windblade make sure that pretty much everything in radius 2 is dead or near dead before the first two rounds are out, and in any event I have a Step Up to close to any remaining targets to unleash the remainder of my arsenal.

For the first stage of the necro and cryo prides, before I had Windblade, the cryomancers were easy... one leap killed three of them, Step Up to the middle guy, Stun/Bleeding Edge left the boss close enough to dead, then movement infusion down to the remaining three and Sweep them to death. The entire combat lasted 5 turns. I had a little trouble with the necromancers due to the Bone Shield on the corruptors and all the meat that got spammed after the first round, but Windblade would have made that much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 am 
Thalore

If you activate windblade next to a mob, do you still get damaged with their shield?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm 
Higher

I don't think Windblade activates things like Icy Armor, but for some reason those never seemed to bother me. My worst issues were with elemental nukes, since my gear didn't provide a lot of resistance.

In retrospect, I would have probably gone with Momentum/True Grit instead of Total Thuggery for most situations, since Total Thuggery is such an absolute stamina suck. With Greater Weapon Focus, one Flurry could eat 100 stamina. Adrenaline kept things going for a while, and I could usually kill everyone in 1-2 techniques, but it left me stupidly vulnerable once adrenaline ran out. That's another reason leap/windblade were useful - they don't require any stamina to activate.

I ended up beating the wizards, but just barely. I died once when my initial flurry failed to kill one of them (I did 11k damage before running out of steam), and then managed to play more tactically to take them down. Maybe a different combination of skills would have kept me going longer.