ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 am 
Thalore

I'm working on the steampowered alchemist now (I'm calling it the steam chemist, or steam 'chemist if you prefer).

Currently their talent trees are like this :
Code:
   ["steamtech/chemistry"]={true, 0.2},
      ["steamtech/physics"]={true, 0.2},
      ["steamtech/battle-machinery"]={true, 0.3},
      ["steamtech/furnace"]={false, 0.3},
      ["steamtech/automation"]={false, 0.3},
      ["steamtech/shrapnel"]={true, 0.3},
      ["spell/explosives"]={true, 0.3},
      ["spell/golemancy"]={true, 0.3},
      ["spell/fire-alchemy"]={true, 0.3},
      ["spell/staff-combat"]={true, 0},
      ["steamtech/engineering"]={true, 0.1},
      ["spell/stone-alchemy"]={true, 0.3},
      ["technique/combat-training"]={true, 0.1},

It's a magic/cunning hybrid. Lose access to the advanced alch trees, acid, and ice alchemy.
Currently Shrapnel is a new talent category, the first talent is a steam version of throw bomb - it scales off of explosion expert (though does not require alchemist protection ever - tbh, I may replace that on normal alchemist with just a talent that only gives the resistance part of the talent and gets rid of the friendly fire component), and the second talent makes bombs deal bleeding damage.

I need two more talents for it and am unsure of what to add. Other things I'm not sure of - whether to keep staff combat (could replace it with some steamgun category?) and the golemancy tree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 am 
Cornac

I really am enjoying the class, alchemists was always my favorite class and I am glad to see it get some love. I love the new style trees of alchemy and how they work off other magic styles, It would be cool if you made a necromancy style tree as well.
I would love to see a martial focused alchemists that fights alongside the golem. Using infusions and gems in martial style attacks as well as "team up" attacks that are stronger if the golem uses a move before or after.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:19 am 
Thalore

For the third talent of steam chemist, maybe a conal "shrapnel blast" ability?
And for the fourth one, if you're thinking about doing steamgun stuff, maybe create a bomb that fires your ammo at every enemy in the explosion radius?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:22 am 
Thalore

New update, though it's EoR-only at the moment. Not sure how to handle that with steam workshop - should I make a separate non-EoR addon to push out there? It'll have to be tomorrow though, I'm exhausted.

New class :
Steamchemists
Code:
They're tinkers who have started dabbling in alchemy - but their dual focus has resulted in lesser skill. Less skillfully assembled machinery can sometimes be even more dangerous, though.
They have a golem, but no advanced golemancy, access to staff training, but no access to channel staff and no natural mana regen. What they have is lots, and lots of explosions.
One new talent tree : Shrapnel
Steampowered Bombardment : version of throw bomb that scales with steampower and alchemist gem power
Shrapnel infusion : results in bombs causing bleed damage, +phys dmg, +phys penetration
Sonic Boom : An aoe cone physical damage confusion skill
Rocket Powered Leap : a leap that attempts to attack in an aoe, if it hits, causes massive bleed damage

In addition, they have access to many steam categories, and battle machinery now deals bonus damage if the opponents are burning.

Also 0.7.0
Code:
0.7.0 -
Refit golem now only heals to 40% instead of 50% hp if golem is dead.
Fire infusion damage now a bit more frontloaded (deals 75% of damage initially, rather than 50%).
Alchemist Protection now only buffs elemental resistance (5% per raw level), friendly fire is no longer enabled by default.
Mana cost of throw bomb now scales with points in explosion expert (10 + 6 per rawlevel)

Added a seperate version of add-on, Steam-chemist. Alchrevision is the version for those without EoR dlc.

Code:
Fire infusion changed :
deals 100% damage, then 1/6 of that damage every turn for three turns (this means that fire infusion now deals the most damage of any infusion, in order to make up for it having the least utility)
(just an FYI, Shrapnel infusion does deal more damage : Shrapnel infusion deals 100% damage, then 1/5 of that damage every turn for four turns).
Steampowered bombardment now deals fireburner damage (the same as fire infusion, but no bonus pen or bonus damage) by default, and is unaffected by infusions other than shrapnel infusion (which no longer affects throw bomb).

Todo list :
Alter rocketpowered leap to deal flat damage instead of weapon if it's too awkward
Better graphics choices for talents.
balancing
Future Plans :

Create a steampowered version of staffs - would be a tinker creation, adds a cunning modifier in addition to magic (and steamchemists would start with one)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 pm 
Thalore

0.9.0 released of steamchemist, I think it's the last release with notable new content that I'll be setting out to do. All the others should be bug fixes, balance changes, and graphical tweaks.

Code:
0.9.0:
Added Steamstaves and steamstave artifacts. These are staves created by steamchemists - they have small machines planted inside that aid in striking accuracy and force. They can't be used with channel staff or command staff, but they have an additional cunning modifier and accuracy bonus.

Steamchemists category mastery updated :
1.5 Staff Mastery 
1.0 Golemancy
1.0 Gem Alchemy

Steam version of revised alchemist (with no EoR requirement) is refusing to upload, the other version uploaded fine so not sure what to make of that.

In a few months I might revisit the idea of making some alchemy hybrids with other classes (corruptors would involve blight damage, necromancers would involve darkness), but those would be far different categories.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 pm 
Uruivellas

Nevuk wrote:
In a few months I might revisit the idea of making some alchemy hybrids with other classes (corruptors would involve blight damage, necromancers would involve darkness), but those would be far different categories.

If you do come back to it, it strikes me that it might be interesting to add in just single new talent categories gated behind some requirement, kind of the way Wyrmic got Undead Drake (and is going to be getting 'Scourge Drake' when Cults comes out, apparently), rather than creating entire new hybrid classes. For instance, you could have Soul Alchemy that adds darkness damage, allows you to capture souls, and then some nice fun blasts that are empowered by souls and maybe summons some lesser undead, like blood and bone anomalies (or whatever they are called, in the undead start zone). Blood Alchemy could do blight damage and spread diseases. Temporal Alchemy could be fun, too, with some controlled anomalies or some such. Maybe Solar Alchemy with some Light damage and healing that mixes in Positive energy. Just a thought (or two or three :D ).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 am 
Thalore

nsrr wrote:
Nevuk wrote:

If you do come back to it, it strikes me that it might be interesting to add in just single new talent categories gated behind some requirement, kind of the way Wyrmic got Undead Drake (and is going to be getting 'Scourge Drake' when Cults comes out, apparently), rather than creating entire new hybrid classes. For instance, you could have Soul Alchemy that adds darkness damage, allows you to capture souls, and then some nice fun blasts that are empowered by souls and maybe summons some lesser undead, like blood and bone anomalies (or whatever they are called, in the undead start zone). Blood Alchemy could do blight damage and spread diseases. Temporal Alchemy could be fun, too, with some controlled anomalies or some such. Maybe Solar Alchemy with some Light damage and healing that mixes in Positive energy. Just a thought (or two or three :D ).

Yeah, I like the idea of a lot of different alchemy abilities but I don't want to rush too much. If I did them, I'd probably put them on a new mage subclass and leave jewelcraft to be specific to normal alchemists, and make the newer classes have a mix of the two classes and a couple of new trees. That was relatively easy for steam because there was a really obvious gap left for a steam casting class and it was fairly obvious which talents to pick, but even then I was struggling for some of the talents (rocket propelled leap is based on giant leap, but with a longer cd, removes fewer things, does less damage, costs steam, but it fit the theme).

I could easily crank out a bunch of infusions for the different types, but then I'd probably wind up copying abilities for the other three parts of the tree and making it a fairly bland class, which I want to avoid. (I may be lying about it being easy, as I never did succeed at getting throw bomb to apply disease). A bunch of additional different damage types for throw bomb doesn't really seem that appealing.
I also have no experience with temporal at all.

FYI, I had to delete the steam version of revised alchemist and reupload for any subscribers. (I changed folders at some point so I think the size wound up being too different).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:36 pm 
Perspiring Physicist

I was poking around a Necro-chemist idea a while ago, where you had a Bone Giant instead of a Golem.
Unfortunately most of it was lost in the hard drive failure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:46 pm 
Wyrmic

I once had the thought of a psionic alchemist. The golem would be more of a "projection" wrapped around a gem/mindstar core, and on top of playing differently it couldn't wander off too far from you at all due to it's nature.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm 
Thalore

There were quite a few bugs and balance changes that I've done, but didn't bother making a post because they were mostly small until this one. I had to learn how to do superloading for the steamstaves fix in 0.9.1

Code:
0.9.7 :
Steamstaves now use their own ego type instead of staves (basically just stave ego types, but also increases steampower instead of just spellpower)
Bug fixes and balance changes:
Contained explosion mana cost now decreases with additional points, and it notes that it will add an additional 10% damage multiplier.
Throw Bomb and steampowered bombardment scale less with spellpower, though still more than other spells (1.35 instead of 1.65 multiplier).
Body of fire AI fixed – would pop up bugs continously and do nothing before
Rocket propelled leap- fixed to be able to do damage, added a deep wound effect to it while reducing bleed damage
Shrapnel infusion no longer offers physical penetration, but it does offer greater physical bonus damage than other infusions (Fire infusion still has damage pen).
0.9.6:
Steamstaves now offer bonus steampower and are viewed as powered by steam, in addition to arcane forces.
0.9.5:
Steamchemists now start with natural mana regen instead of a mana surge rune (starting with the rune gave them 4 by default)
0.9.4:
Balance change :
Steam cost of bombardment now scales with explosion expert (from 15->35)
0.9.3:
Oops again. Steampowered bombardment now correctly works off steampower instead of spellpower
0.9.2:
Oops. Steamchemists now have starting gems again.
0.9.1:
Steamchemists no longer have golems. Instead, they have a higher life rating than alchemists, and +1 to strength.
Steamstaves can now be used with desperate blast and blunt thrust.
0.9.0:
Added Steamstaves. These are staves created by steamchemists - they have small machines planted inside that aid in striking accuracy and force. They can't be used with channel staff or command staff, but they have an additional cunning modifier and accuracy bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 am 
Thalore

I have a really weird bug I'm trying to hunt down currently with the steamchemist version of the addon : normal staves for some reason now are unable to be any element besides physical, even though I've done nothing that should actually alter normal staves (command staff doesn't let you change elements either. Disabling steam staves didn't help, nor do the alch staff talents, nor does changing the superloading). The revised alchemist version seems fine, so basically if you want the alch improvements used revised alch, if you want steam chemist use the steam-chemist. That's just a work around for right now though, I'm trying to fix it.

Appears to be something with resolvers, not fully sure though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:00 pm 
Low Yeek

T.Bombs are still consume gems. Is it ... correct behaviour? Afterall, harvesting gems from adventurers-zigur patrols tedious a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm 
Thalore

Roukoru wrote:
T.Bombs are still consume gems. Is it ... correct behaviour? Afterall, harvesting gems from adventurers-zigur patrols tedious a bit.

No, that's not intended. I fixed it a while ago, but when I switched away from overloading forgot to rewrite the function. I'll get that fixed later tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:14 am 
Thalore

Roukoru wrote:

Fix has been uploaded to te4.org . Steam is bugging out when I try to upload, so I'll have to try later. There's also a bit of a balance change - Throw bomb now scales slightly less with spellpower (though still more than a normal spell). The issue was that when I was testing I forgot to use a higher tier gem, so the throw bomb skills were significantly stronger than intended.

Fix also uploaded for SteamChemist, which uploaded to Steam no problem. No idea why one uploads fine and the other doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:33 am 
Low Yeek

1. T.Bomb consumes a-gems;
2. addon fails if Revised Alchemist active.

tome/te4 1.5.5
Revised Alchemist 0.8.2
Steam-Chemist 0.9.9

Code:
error = "Lua Error: /mod/addons/steamchemist/superload/mod/class/Grid.lua:8: stack overflow\
  At [C]:-1 __index\
  At /mod/addons/steamchemist/superload/mod/class/Grid.lua:8 base_tooltip\
<...>
  At /mod/addons/steamchemist/superload/mod/class/Grid.lua:8 base_tooltip\
  At /mod/addons/alchrevision/superload/mod/class/Grid.lua:8 check\
  At /engine/Map.lua:801 checkEntity\
  At /mod/class/Tooltip.lua:36 check\
  At /mod/class/Tooltip.lua:71 getTooltipAtMap\
  At /engine/Tooltip.lua:284 displayAtMap\
  At /engine/interface/GameTargeting.lua:66 targetDisplayTooltip\
  At /mod/class/Game.lua:1752 "
seen = true
reported = false

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next