ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 am 
Sher'Tul

Does it vaguely annoy anyone else that the Ruined Cave in EoR doesn't auto-sort stuff that you drop on the floor the way the fortress storage room does? `Coz I'm fiddling with an addon to add that functionality, and I figured I'd get some feedback before I committed to anything.

See, the slightly tricky bit is that since the Cave isn't a nice rectangle like the storage room, there's no immediately obvious order of grids to sort stuff to as you drop it. For a first pass, the sequence I'm going with for dropping, say, a dagger, is:
  • If there was already a pile of daggers on the grid, leave the dagger there.
  • Otherwise, search for a pile of daggers on all the other floor grids of the Cave, and if we find one, move the dagger there.
  • Otherwise, if the grid was empty before we dropped the dagger on it, leave it there.
  • Otherwise, if there are any other empty floor grids, move the dagger to the nearest one.
  • Otherwise, leave the dagger where you dropped it. (The storage room will pick the dagger up off the floor and put it back in your inventory in this case, but that just seemed odd.)

Any better ideas? Maybe a preferred order of floor grids to sort stuff to? Does anyone else manually sort stuff on the floor the way I do? :oops: :wink:

Last edited by Zizzo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:34 am 
Thalore

How difficult would it be to overload the map and create one yourself with some new tiles where you could drop them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:39 am 
Sher'Tul

dadito wrote:
How difficult would it be to overload the map and create one yourself with some new tiles where you could drop them?

You mean add a rectangular area to the map that would act like the fortress storage room? That would be tractable in theory, I suppose; I could use the same hook that the Items Vault addon uses to add its bit to the fortress. It would be kind of unthematic, though, and it would sort of defeat the point of the whole cave being the "storage room". (Actually, now that I think about it, is there a game-lore reason the cave is there, or is it just for player convenience?)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:42 am 
Sher'Tul

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've got this working now — or at least that, if I don't, (a) it'll break by leaving stuff where you drop it and (b) I can patch it up in the next release. :oops: :wink: And so, without further ado, I release my Ruined Cave Floor Sort addon.