ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: White Monk v 1.5.5
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 pm 
Uruivellas

V1.5.4 and V1.5.5
----
[Energy Osmosis]
Bug fixes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm 
Wayist

A while ago, I tried a Skeleton White Monk and gave up.

But now I've tried it on a living race and liked it much better.

Praise
  • Hitting someone with Secret Fist and getting to say "You are already dead"
  • The positioning play of Blink Counter
  • Transcend
  • Having different ways to deal with Physical, Mental, and Magical statuses, and none of them feeling useless or pigeonholed.
  • Encouraging people to move around with Tactical Positioning
  • Extra attacks that don't feel character-defining in Measured Blows and Pummel
  • Getting heavy gloves but only heavy gloves from your mastery talent - inspired, better than Brawler.

Concerns
  • Why is their Mastery talent so strange? It gives less damage than other Masteries, but you can level it up immediately for TONS of Physical Power.
  • Do they really need 3 sources of bonus physical power?
  • Putting a 5th point into Holy Sign does not improve either the effect or the cooldown. It just gives you more Mending.
  • If I can end fights by Air Rend + walking briskly away, it's safest to do so. It's also really boring.
  • Aura Blast has much shorter range than the rest of its tree. It feels bad even though its fine.

Trivialities
  • Every talent has an empty line between its main description and 'each point in this category' except for Measured Blows in Martial Arts

Bug
Blink Counter + enemy with Prophecy of Treason = Stack Overflow Error as I try to attack myself and miss, dodge myself, try to counterattack myself, miss...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:40 pm 
Uruivellas

Recaiden wrote:
A while ago, I tried a Skeleton White Monk and gave up.

But now I've tried it on a living race and liked it much better.

Praise
  • Hitting someone with Secret Fist and getting to say "You are already dead"
  • The positioning play of Blink Counter
  • Transcend
  • Having different ways to deal with Physical, Mental, and Magical statuses, and none of them feeling useless or pigeonholed.
  • Encouraging people to move around with Tactical Positioning
  • Extra attacks that don't feel character-defining in Measured Blows and Pummel
  • Getting heavy gloves but only heavy gloves from your mastery talent - inspired, better than Brawler.

Concerns
  • Why is their Mastery talent so strange? It gives less damage than other Masteries, but you can level it up immediately for TONS of Physical Power.
  • Do they really need 3 sources of bonus physical power?
  • Putting a 5th point into Holy Sign does not improve either the effect or the cooldown. It just gives you more Mending.
  • If I can end fights by Air Rend + walking briskly away, it's safest to do so. It's also really boring.
  • Aura Blast has much shorter range than the rest of its tree. It feels bad even though its fine.

Trivialities
  • Every talent has an empty line between its main description and 'each point in this category' except for Measured Blows in Martial Arts

Bug
Blink Counter + enemy with Prophecy of Treason = Stack Overflow Error as I try to attack myself and miss, dodge myself, try to counterattack myself, miss...

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :)

The mastery was originally copied from Brawler, iirc, but I think Brawler mastery may have been changed at some point since then and I never updated mine. As you likely know, all the actual calculations for power and damage and such from mastery talents are handled under combat and just check the level of the indicated mastery talent. So, afaik, the numbers should be right but the description is probably off. As for the requirements, it's not totally unprecedented. Strength of Purpose works the same, iirc, and Staff Mastery represents a weapon mastery that is just totally different from any other. Basically the way I feel about it is that it's not going to change your maximum power level and having higher level/stat requirements just makes the hardest part of the game (the beginning) even harder. It still costs talent points that could be used elsewhere for new talents and more utility I'll look into it and make sure everything is correct and fix the description, but I think I'll keep the requirements the way they are.

They... probably don't need that many sources of extra physical power. I'll look into that. It's been a while since I've played a White Monk or even really looked at the code. Rending could probably have a different bonus. I might shift the physical damage on-hit from Guided Hand to the Rending bonus. It would still boost your damage a bit but without the direct boost to physical power, and it would de-clutter Guided Hand a bit.

Air Render being the safe way out, especially in the early game where you don't have as many other buttons to press to begin with, is definitely something that could be worked on. Perhaps it should just have drastically reduced ranged, or maybe require one more stack of Enervate before pinning. It would still be strong against melee with no gap closer or increased speed, but that's generally a pretty low percentage of enemies. I'm not sure what exactly I want to do with it yet, but it's definitely something that needs a little attention.

I'll fix that description for Measured Blows while I'm going over everything else.

Thanks for that bug report, I probably never would have caught that on my own. I should have had a check in there to make sure the attacker was not yourself... or that the attacker is actually adjacent, not less than two tiles away :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7