So, recently fired up my first Arcane Blade since… [checks notes]
1.0.5. Most obvious change so far is the Arcane Combat talent's new configuration dialog. That has a few annoying wrinkles, though:
- The dialog comes up every time you activate Arcane Combat, which is presumably why it doesn't automatically reset when you exit the levelup dialog — which, in turn, means you have to bounce the talent manually every time you level up.
- Conversely, the only way to get to the dialog is by deactivating Arcane Combat, waiting for it to cool down, and reactivating it.
- The only things you can configure Arcane Combat to do is use a single talent or use all talents. What if, say, I'm in Tempest Peak and I want Arcane Combat to use Flame and Earthen Missiles but not Lightning?
To fix these, I've whipped up a new addon, creatively named Arcane Combat Tweaks
It resolves these problems as follows:
- The new game option "Arcane Combat configure on activate" can be disabled to suppress the configuration dialog on talent activation (hence the name), allowing the talent to auto-reset as needed.
- Whether the above option is enabled or disabled, the configuration dialog is always available via the talent's right-click popup menu.
- The configuration dialog itself is improved: each applicable talent can be enabled or disabled separately (you have to leave at least one enabled, though, or the dialog won't let you exit). You can configure talents that you haven't learned yet, so you don't have to remember to go back to the dialog and enable Earthen Missiles when you learn it; obviously, Arcane Combat will only randomly choose from talents you have learned and can cast.
Note that for now, Arcane Combat Tweaks is incompatible with Use Alchemist Gems From Inventory
, as they both overload the UseTalents:use() method to modify the talent right-click menu. I'm hopeful that a future engine version will add hooks to modify this menu
or some other suitable method; in the meantime, the character creation dialog will warn you if you try to create a character with both addons enabled.[Technical notes:]
ToME:load [to modify the Arcane Combat talent]
GameOptions:generateList [to add our game option]
use() [overloaded, to add config option to Arcane Combat]