Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:18 am 
Thalore

I have an idea for an addon, but I thought I'd check to see if:

a) it's already been built, or
b) it's even possible within the game's addon framework,

before I go learning how to make addons for Tome.

I play Tome in ascii mode, but the buffs and debuffs on my character appear on the right hand side of the screen as icons. Some of them are legible, but many are a red and green blob.

I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the icons with text names of the buffs, with a number next to them indicating duration and/or strength, and a further character indicating its nature (m for magic, p for physical, &c.). Sustains would be in blue, beneficial effects in green, and negative effects in red. This would make it much easier for me to track what's going on throughout a fight.

For extra credit, I could make sustains that are available but not active appear in grey text.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 am 
Higher

Classic view has buffs/debuffs as text.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:57 pm 
Thalore

Do you mean Game Options > UI > HUD style > Classic? Because I switched to that and I still have the icons for buffs and debuffs, not text.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:07 am 
Sher'Tul

its definitely possible.
i am not a pro, but coding is basically all about providing the right argument, and resources.
if you press c, you already have effects as text there.
(or if you mouse over a creature, but then you cant mouse over the effect so it doesn't count.)

if you find wherever the function is, and change the argument to stop it from turning it into images, that should work. if you can "word" it right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 am 
Sher'Tul

There's an in-game option that already does it. Very very sure of that considering I haven't played with icons on talents or status effects (or anything else, really) since icons were implemented, ehehe. Lemme' check what it is real quick...

Under game options -> UI, there should be two options just below the log time and duration of flying text, labeled "Icons status effects" and "Icons hotkey toolbar", though for some ungodly reason it appears they only show up in game, not in the main menu options stuff. Load up a character and then just set 'em to disabled and you should be good to go.

... though looking at it again, there probably could stand to be an addon that swapped which end of that option the icons is on. Hotkey toolbar icons, status effect icons. Or a : or somethin'. And/or maybe something that gets them to show on the outer menu options, too, ha.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:46 pm 
Thalore

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you Frumple.

Combined with classic view, the game looks a lot fresher now. :)