ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 am 
Archmage

@Almonihah
Luminous Horrors are absolute NIGHTMARES for Fire Drake, hahaha!

I have constantly tweaked and buffed and tweaked Fire Drake to make fighting them a little bit more manageable-- But I don't think we're ever going to get over their "threat" to Fire Drakes, since the class's main forms of damage are precisely Fire and Physical.

To be honest, I kinda like that idea of "certain enemies" being a "Thing" for these classes. It means an experienced player will have moments of being tense and moments of being slack. Particularly, "Worm That Walks" tends to obliterate Hydras-- And Skeleton Warriors (and the like) tend to be Ritch's nemesis as well.

If your brother is still having trouble dealing with them, tell him to just remember not every fight must be won-- Sometimes, a "draw" is just as admirable. However, if he absolutely insists, the "Ego/Dragon" talent tree has some tools that might help him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm 
Uruivellas

Luminous horrors are equally tough for sun paladins, and pretty tough for anorithils, so that's not unique to the drakes.

edit to not doublepost: your coding ability and comment-leaving-thoroughness continue to be astounding. you are an Excellent source to 'Borrow' code from.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:33 pm 
Higher

Anything new since I checked last?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:12 am 
Archmage

@Kamani
Not yet. Lots of stuff going on for me at the moment.
I did manage to convince a friend to start playing ToME, and watching him play has given me a lot of inspired, new ideas. Whenever it is I get back to doing this, I'll be fresh and at full force again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:37 am 
Higher

Great! Looking forward to whatever gets added.

Oh, can there be an option to give the summoner some gold at some point? At the beginning, he asks you if you can bring him some gold so that he can live through tomorrow, and, since I like the Summoner's character, it would be nice to help him out.

Edit: Reading the Nature-Taught passive effect, it says that the bonus Generic Points cannot be gained retroactively. This doesn't matter on any of the current races, so is there some way for others to get it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:56 pm 
Halfling

Returned to this addon after a long break with the hopes of carrying a Ritch to victory.

Unfortunately, the class is just as frustrating as I remembered. Is there anything in the pipe to rework the temporary weapon mechanic? It sounds so cool in theory but in practice is so very frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:15 pm 
Archmage

@tabs
I appreciate that you're still giving this project an open mind after all this time-- So I guess I'll shed some light on what's going on at the moment:

Although I haven't actively produced anything in a while, I have been doing a TON of research, and have even gone back to Vanilla ToME and played a few classes to reacquaint myself to the gameplay system and "refresh" my creative muscle (ESPECIALLY since the next 3 classes are going to be Melee-based-- Which is easily the hardest type of gameplay to make feel "rewarding" in ToME).

After playing a bit of Cursed, Doombringer, Demonologist, and finally some Necromancer... It gave me some ideas of how I can significantly improve Ritch WITHOUT sacrificing aspects about it (what these classes all have in common are equipment-centric gameplay whilst working with "limited", momentum-based resources). Here's what I came up with:

- One idea I have in mind is to outright AMPLIFY the amount of damage Impermanent Weapons deal, but SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the durability (make them behave how they ORIGINALLY did when I started). To compensate for the small amount of weapons at the start of the game, I'll need to make "Hookclaws" a little bit more viable (might remove the bleeding and give them passive life steal), turning Impermanent stuff into "I need to kill you really quickly" types of resources (since THOSE -WON'T- have life steal).

- Also, Demonologist has an ability that outright makes it life steal 10% of all damage it deals. Examining this a bit, I realized having passive life steal doesn't "entirely" break the game, so I am strongly considering giving Ritch exactly that.

- I also realized how much I like the "Scrap" talent, and I think Ritch should have more "I'm willing to sacrifice my equipment to protect myself" types of abilities-- Things that sorta operate like "Bone Shields", but aren't hard to acquire-- "Deflects" if you will. I WAS thinking about this, and gave the Blighted tree a "consume soul" type of ability (inspired by Necromancer)-- But that isn't quite good enough. Still thinking about this...

- Finally, I'm also planning on COMPLETELY overhauling the "Ego/Mantis" tree. I can't put the passive life steal there, because it would simply make the "race" too powerful, and everyone would play as a Mantis ALL the time.

... However, this is all really just candy to the ears. My CURRENT plans are to, first, witness what comes in the 1.5.0 ToME update (so that I can have a nice fresh start). After that, I'm going to finally try out "Embers of Rage" (I found out there's an UNDEAD DRAKE talent tree for Wyrmics there! I GOTTA see that!!)

... But... I don't want to get your hopes up. I have NO planned date for this-- These are just a few things on my mind at the moment. As I said: I'm always thinking about this thing I made-- It's just a matter of when I'll be able to start doing it again...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 am 
Higher

The wilder starting options for the races are a little odd with their starting text, and I felt like this was worth noting, even though they aren't really something I am focusing on anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:54 pm 
Higher

Anything new being worked on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 pm 
Archmage

@Kamani
I'm dabbling here and there. I've been going over my code and all my notes. You wouldn't believe how many things were broken and never got fixed. I want to fully rework this add-on. Forget about OoTS 1.5... I'm aiming for OoTS 2.0! Although, once again... There's no chance it's going to be any time soon (because of the "scope" of what I have planned).

I won't say a date, but let's just say I'm aiming for the beginning of this coming summer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:13 am 
Higher

Really looking forward to it, even if it will be a long while. It is a really amazing addon, so I look forward to whatever comes next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:33 pm 
Higher

So will this mess up if I put it on the beta?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 am 
Archmage

@Kamani
Beta? Is there a testing version of ToME?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:58 am 
Higher

Yeah. It is beta 1.5 with possessors and Infinite Dungeon changes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 am 
Archmage

@Kamani
I haven't looked into the 1.5 beta at all, so I can't say with certainty whether it will function normally or not, so I wouldn't try testing it if I were you. That said, I don't intend to create any kind of compatibility with an unfinished build of ToME either lol

I should say, though, that I DO anxiously await the update. There are quite a few things I would like to put out once I've confirmed their compatibility with the incoming version of ToME...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next