I quite like this addon's story, though it does have its issues. Ritch's issues have already been discussed, but all the creatures share a common extremely severe disability (I cannot overestimate how severe it is): Not being able to use inscriptions. And the things they get, such as the talents in the Natural Combat tree, simply aren't enough. The only way to remove status effects is to either use the extremely unreliable talent that clears a random including 0 number of physical conditions or eat an wild infusion which consumes both a turn and the infusion itself. So you have extremely limited resources for removing conditions particularly mental or magical ones, and with the reusable talent you have a 20 turn cooldown which is longer than most wild infusions, plus you might not even clear any condition when you urgently need it.
And in actual practice, I found Hydra to be lacking in burst healing. Don't know about the other summons, but in order to get burst healing, you need to remove your primary source of passive healing, and then you're stuck without any healing for a good number of turns. Not to mention that depending on much regeneration you have left, the burst healing might not even be much at all.
...The lack of good escape options really hurts, too. The Natural Combat talent that grands you movespeed doesn't give a high effect and if you already popped another Natural Combat talent, odds are it's on cooldown.
Basically if the Natural Combat tree's to function as an inscription replacement, it needs major improvement. My suggestions are as follows:
- Remove Consume's receiving of infusion effects upon eating it, but keep the other effects (max HP increase, etc.). ToME's philosophy deliberately eschews limited use resources, but Consume's design brings that back into the game, and I don't think that benefits the addon. This does mean you'll be munching on inscriptions as soon as you find them unless you want to keep them for corruption reduction, but I suppose that's okay.
- Improve Natural Combat talents as needed to make the creatures viable without inscription.
- Add stat based scaling to Natural Combat active effects where it make sense. That way you can have endgame worthy effects only when you have endgame worthy stats. Maybe also talent level based scaling, but I'd recommend changing the talents to 5 levels instead of 10 if you do that.
- Do something about those talents putting each other on cooldown. Maybe remove that feature entirely.
- Add methods of removing mental and magical effects. Replacing healing infusions isn't necessary, though, the creatures already have their own individual healing trees. Do improve said trees as necessary to accord for lack of infusion based healing.