ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:54 pm 
Uruivellas

After they were mentioned in Embers lore, I absolutely had to write up a Steel Drake category. When I work out how to add more monsters, I'll do that too.

For now, this addon gives the following new category to Wyrmics.

Steel drake aspect
Take on the defining aspects of a steel drake.

Steel Wake
You dash forwards in a flurry of blades and claws, moving %d spaces and inflicting %d%% weapon damage to everything in your path.
The damage and range increase with talent level.

Every level in Steel Wake additionally raises your Armor Hardiness by 4, passively.
Each point in steel drake talents also increases your armor by 2.

Fortress Scales
Your skin is like voratun, turning aside blades with contempt, and spells with only a little more difficulty. While sustained, you reduce incoming damage by %d%% of your armor, effected by armor hardiness.

Serration
Your strikes slice and lacerate your foes. Your physical damage is dealt as a physical bleed, dealing %d%% damage immediately and another %d%% over the next five turns.
You also receive 5 armor penetration per talent level, and each point in steel drake talents also increases your armor by 2.

Shrapnel Breath
You breathe a cloud of sharp metal fragments in a frontal cone of radius %d. Any target caught in the area will take %0.2f physical bleed damage.
The damage will increase with your Strength, and the critical chance is based on your Mental crit rate.

Changelog
Release Day Patch 1.0.1
I forgot to edit the description of Shrapnel Breath, so it was saying it was arcane disrupting...

Fortress Scales was too strong. It still renders you immune to small-arms, but it was nerfed to be 5 flat+ up to 33% of armor. A 5/5/5/5 steel drake with tier 5 massive armor was getting about 30 flat reduction.
Fortress Scales now grants you damage reduction rather than using a callback. This means it shows on your character sheet, in the log, and will be rescaled if it surpasses 40.
Wyrmic Guile now affects Shrapnel Breath.
Fortress Scales has a sound effect on being activated.

THERE ARE STEEL DRAKES/WYRMS NOW. the wyrms may be kinda terrifying.

To Do
Steel dragons should be locked to the Maj'Eyal continent.

Last edited by astralInferno on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 am 
Wyrmic

I was hoping something like this would be in the unlocks after Undead Drake Aspect reared it's head, but was disappointed to see it was the only tree. Nice to see this one!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:30 am 
Sher'Tul

"Your skin is like voratun,..."
just my 5 cents. i believe it should be "like iron" at 1 point, and going up the chain, with voratum being lvl5.

when i read the title, i immediately thought "embers are out and everything is steam powered there... yup would totally fit"
would be awesome if there was a "wyrmic imposter" class, that really tries but fails to be a true wyrmic. arcane, instead of wielder.
steal category would fit there perfectly, along with a few other categories, that just don't make sense for a true wyrmic. like blood dragon aspect. how does that even work?

hmm. shrapnel breath? uh... i don't think that can work.
i mean sure, this is a game, in a fantasy word, and logic don't always apply there... but seriously, how?
for other breaths, it can be easily said that a sudden decompression forces the cold/burning/acidic air our of your lungs, but sharp pieces of metals don't work that way.
if it was a wizard, i would give him the benefit of the doubt to pull it off, but a wielder?
i vote for a rust breath. would apply something like "sunder armour", not sure how that would damage anything, but at least it would be believably enough possible.
unless you want to make him into a hydralisk...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:32 pm 
Uruivellas

Chronosplit wrote:
I was hoping something like this would be in the unlocks after Undead Drake Aspect reared it's head, but was disappointed to see it was the only tree. Nice to see this one!

Glad you like! :)

Radon26 wrote:
"Your skin is like voratun,..."
just my 5 cents. i believe it should be "like iron" at 1 point, and going up the chain, with voratum being lvl5.

when i read the title, i immediately thought "embers are out and everything is steam powered there... yup would totally fit"
would be awesome if there was a "wyrmic imposter" class, that really tries but fails to be a true wyrmic. arcane, instead of wielder.
steal category would fit there perfectly, along with a few other categories, that just don't make sense for a true wyrmic. like blood dragon aspect. how does that even work?

hmm. shrapnel breath? uh... i don't think that can work.
i mean sure, this is a game, in a fantasy word, and logic don't always apply there... but seriously, how?
for other breaths, it can be easily said that a sudden decompression forces the cold/burning/acidic air our of your lungs, but sharp pieces of metals don't work that way.
if it was a wizard, i would give him the benefit of the doubt to pull it off, but a wielder?
i vote for a rust breath. would apply something like "sunder armour", not sure how that would damage anything, but at least it would be believably enough possible.
unless you want to make him into a hydralisk...

Heh. Most fluff descriptions stay the same throughout levels, and changing it would be a lot of work for a very minor thing - especially as it's not a huge talent, and you probably have rank 5 by level 10.

It's always seemed to me that dragons themselves don't actually care about magic vs nature. I would be completely unsurprised by the existence of Blood Wyrms, though the imposter whymic is kinda cool.

I considered making Steel Drake use steam, but it didn't seem to quite fit. Felt like an unnatural extension - plus, it'd mean only Embers owners could use the mod. A Steam Drake aspect would be fun, but I feel they /would/ have to be artificial. A crossbreed of fire/ice/sea/steel in some fashion.

The idea with Shrapnel Breath is that steel drakes likely eat metal. They absorb the valuable minerals, and store the cast-offs to spit out in a cloud of rust and edges. If a wilder can have skin of ice, claw his way through sand, spit acid and swallow golems, I shouldn't think chewing on metal is a stretch.
(Also, saying 'magic could do it but nature can't' is a disservice to nature. It's equally as powerful.)

Rust breath would seem more a force of entropy. Temporal/physical.

Glad you like enough to comment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:23 am 
Wyrmic

Quote:
I considered making Steel Drake use steam, but it didn't seem to quite fit. Felt like an unnatural extension - plus, it'd mean only Embers owners could use the mod. A Steam Drake aspect would be fun, but I feel they /would/ have to be artificial. A crossbreed of fire/ice/sea/steel in some fashion.

This gives me an idea: classes that bind together the ones seen in the Orc Prides you free in the campaign+steamtech (except possibly Berserker because that's basically Sawbutcher). Because of innovation, the rescued prides start working with steam engines and the like.

...Then again, wtf would a steam summoner or necromancer even do with steamtech? It's kinda clear to me what Wyrmics, Reavers, and the Cryo/Pyro classes would do, but not the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:36 am 
Sher'Tul

Quote:
If a wilder can have skin of ice, claw his way through sand, spit acid and swallow golems, I shouldn't think chewing on metal is a stretch.

"skin of ice"
simple energy manipulation.
suck heat out of the moisture in the air, so it freezes creating additionall layer on the skin.

"claw his way through sand"
that's more of a question of "what kind of sand it is"
sharp claws and sufficient streangth should be able to do it pretty easily. (take a mole for example)
problem is where does the sand go, and how it doesn't collapse instantly.

"spit acid"
seriously? THAT is unbelievable? do you have any idea how many poisonous animals there are?
and there is no shortage of ones who can deliver the poison at range.
then consider that your own stomach, is literally a pit of acid.

"swallow golems".
ok, this one is "game logic". i have no idea how to explain it, other than invoking "relativistic disparity" making the golem small enough to fit.
that's some temporal magic shit...

"chewing on meta"
oh yeah, i am not against the idea of chewing on metal, and being durable enough yourself. the problem is the metal itself, being possibly too soft, while at the same time heavy, and not aerodynamic at all.

for there to be a decompression, there first need to be a compression.
if you describe it as "spitting", then just be it call it "shrapnel spit", rather than breath.
it could work like the projectile spell from the spell/stone category.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Chronosplit wrote:
This gives me an idea: classes that bind together the ones seen in the Orc Prides you free in the campaign+steamtech (except possibly Berserker because that's basically Sawbutcher). Because of innovation, the rescued prides start working with steam engines and the like.

...Then again, wtf would a steam summoner or necromancer even do with steamtech? It's kinda clear to me what Wyrmics, Reavers, and the Cryo/Pyro classes would do, but not the rest.

I do have a design for a steam defiler class that uses vim to animate metal into twisted machines...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:51 pm 
Uruivellas

Chronosplit wrote:
Quote:

That does sound pretty great.
Steam summoner... well, there are steam elementals in the campaign. Either that or make them mechanists; perhaps summoning the robots the giants use?
Necromancer... okay, I got nothing. Maybe the steam-ghost guy from Hellboy 2?

HousePet wrote:
Chronosplit wrote:

I do have a design for a steam defiler class that uses vim to animate metal into twisted machines...

(thumbs up)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 am 
Higher

astralInferno wrote:

That does sound pretty great.
Steam summoner... well, there are steam elementals in the campaign. Either that or make them mechanists; perhaps summoning the robots the giants use?
Necromancer... okay, I got nothing. Maybe the steam-ghost guy from Hellboy 2?

I was thinking what would be cool to see in a tinker summoner. I would love the ability to summon those (light spoilers) Spider Mechs in that one area. Sadly, I don't have the coding skill to do it :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:55 pm 

Question, is there a way to set the required level to 1 instead of 10? I'd like to try out the abilities without going that far into the game. I tried to edit the file, but it just stayed the same when logging in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 am 
Uruivellas

You should be able to edit the files pretty easily, although it will stop you earning achievements.
Change

require = gifts_req_high1,

To

require = gifts_req1,

on Steel Wake, and the same but with 2, 3, 4 on the other talents, in the tome-steeldrakes/data/talents.lua file. you might have to extract it and put it as a folder for it to work. (if you do, you dont need to zip it again - it can launch as a folder.)

Hope that works!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:15 pm 
Thalore

Radon26 wrote:
Quote:
"chewing on meta"
oh yeah, i am not against the idea of chewing on metal, and being durable enough yourself. the problem is the metal itself, being possibly too soft, while at the same time heavy, and not aerodynamic at all.

for there to be a decompression, there first need to be a compression.
if you describe it as "spitting", then just be it call it "shrapnel spit", rather than breath.
it could work like the projectile spell from the spell/stone category.

It breathes out a giant cloud of boiling metal droplets that cool into shrapnel in flight. Done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 pm 
Higher

Chronosplit wrote:
...Then again, wtf would a steam summoner or necromancer even do with steamtech?

Steam Necromancer seems pretty simple. Rather than using steampower to animate things, they use steamtech to augment their minions. A small steam explosive attached to a minion that can be manually detonated, or automatically when they die. Sawblade arms and other weapons attached to skeletal minions - presumably, they'd forego the fleshier undead due to decay problems and incorporeal undead due to a lack of augmentation possibilities. Particularly adept steam necromancers can craft a terrifying Fog Titan - a golem that's half bone, half steamtech. Bones and steel, runes and grenades. As they take damage, their inner steam leaks out into a hot fog, scalding attackers for more and more damage as they weaken.

Just some loose concepts.