"Some Necromancers instead choose to turn their dark magic inwards, enhancing their physical power and martial prowess to become Deathknights.
Masters of both two-handed and shield fighting, Deathknights channel cold and darkness through their weapons and can even carry on fighting through fatal wounds.
Rather than raising an undead army through captured souls, they instead use the souls to massively empower their spells and melee techniques."
Inspired by various 'antipaladin' style classes, the Deathknight is a melee hybrid class that has similarities to Sun Paladin albeit with Necrotic rather than Celestial theming. They use both cold and darkness melee attacks and spells, temporary minions, debilitating auras and can specialize in either shield or two handed combat.
Unlike Necromancer, Souls are instead used for the Soulforge ability - a sustain that causes every ability to consume souls to empower itself.
Credit to Trenggiling for tiles and icons.
- No longer causes Sawblade block value to zero out.
- Renamed Essence Drain to Drain Essence due to a conflict with Embers of Rage.
- Icebound Fortitude blocks the correct amount of damage.
- Fixed an incorrect tooltip for the Necrosis debuff.
- The range on Soul Reaper and Call of the Grave correctly match their tooltips.
- Duskwake deals the correct damage.
- The squire is now correctly treated as undead.
- Fixed tooltips causing LUA errors
- Shadow of Death has had it's duration and cooldown slightly adjusted.
- Fixed a bug where Shadow of Death's buff icon gave an incorrect name.
- Shadow of Death is no longer usable by NPCs.
- Fixed Rime giving incorrect block values at talent level 1.
- Improved code compatibility with other addons.
- Call of the Grave's ghouls no longer drop items.
- Rime and Icebound Fortitude have been reworked. Rime now has an improved version of the counterattack, and no longer has the damage on block usage. Icebound Fortitude only has the damage reduction.
- The values of Frost abilities have been adjusted slightly.
- Removed the sound effect on Vampiric Embrace.
- The damage bonus of Night's Edge has been reduced, but it now provides lifesteal.
- Lightbane's shadow lightning jumps to 2 targets at all levels.
- Fixed a bug where Soulforge could be used infinitely by npcs, resulting in crashes.
- Reduced the duration of Shadow of Death.
- Dread, Reaping and Soulforge teach the Necrotic Aura talent, making them easier to use for Adventurers.
- Fixed a bug where Shadow of Death sometimes did not trigger if the player had die_at.
- Added new icons for Undeath Ghouls.
- Duskwake no longer causes LUA errors when in a no_teleport flagged area.
- Dark Transformation correctly fails when used if your Squire is dead.
- Fixed a tooltip issue with Dusk Shield preventing the Squire talents from displaying.
- The Squire tree has been implemented. This locked tree allows you to summon a powerful undead squire to serve as your guardian, using unique sword and shield techniques. A full ability list can be found in the discussion thread.
- Soulforge has been reworked. It now provides a single use buff rather than a sustain, reducing the time needed to toggle it on and off.
- The Soul cost of many Soulforge talents have been adjusted. The Soulforge tree itself has had it's values changed to reflect this.
- Fixed a bug where Necrotic Strike was instead increasing global speed.
- Soulforge: Soul Reaper now lasts 8 turns.
- Dark Tide deals increased cold damage, but no longer deals darkness weapon damage. This has been moved to the Soulforge effect.
- Grim Harvest has been reworked. Darkness damage now reduces cooldowns, and cold damage reduces the duration of negative effects.
- Call of the Grave deals increased damage, but only summons 2 ghouls. The ghouls are now slightly weaker and no longer use ego weapons.
- Meat Shield has been reworked. Instead of having ghouls intercept attacks, this now raises a ghoul to split damage with you on triggering.
- Corpse Explosion has been reworked. On death, ghouls now inflict a stacking darkness damage over time effect that reduces powers.
- Corpsewall has had it's duration increased, and now deals less damage and is less durable. It also gains immunity to negative effects and slightly increased length.
- Essence Drain's values have been adjusted slightly.
- Pale Rider no longer removes stuns, pins or dazes.
- Soulforge: Pale Rider now prevents any attack from dealing more than 50% of your maximum life.
- Hungering Blade grants slightly less damage and lifesteal but has increased duration.
- Undying no longer reduces the duration of negative effects.
- Enervate's damage reduction has been lowered.
- Shackled Soul's chance to trigger is now based off Enervate stacks.
- Vampiric Embrace has been reworked. It now causes the attacks of you and your allies to heal based on the number of Enervate stacks on the target.
- Soul Rend now stuns for 3 turns at all talent levels.
- Devour Soul no longer heals. Instead it removes beneficial physical and magical effects when used against rended targets.
- Black Mirror costs less mana, and the spawning code now allows copies to be created up to 10 tiles away. This should be more useful against crowded groups.
- Rime's block value has been reduced, but the cold resistance debuff increased.
- Icebound Fortitude now caps at 50%. The retaliation deals reduced damage and has a range limit.
- Enshroud now correctly calculates the damage for Living Shadows.
- Soulforge: Duskwake now allows you to attack adjacent targets and spread living shadows further rather than increasing the range.
- Reaper's Shroud shields for less.
- Shackled Soul no longer causes loot displacement on activation
- You can only have a maximum of 3 Shackled Soul wraiths at a time
- Necrotic Wall no longer gains additional magic bonuses from Blighted Summoning
- Necrotic Wall has been reduced in length, duration and damage
- Necrotic Wall segments are removed on level change
- Soulforge: Call of the Grave ghouls have been slightly reduced in power
- Call of the Grave ghouls now gain a damage cap as per the Ghoul racial
- Call of the Grave ghouls are now far more aggressive
- Call of the Grave requires line of sight to use
- Clarified a number of tooltips
- Necrotic Strike now correctly deals split cold and darkness damage.
- The cost of Soulforge: Call of the Grave has been increased to 3. Instead of increasing the speed of the ghouls, it instead summons elite ghouls who use ego equipment and are far more powerful in combat.
- Night's Edge no longer targets friendlies.
- Shackled Soul's wraiths are now capped at a maximum of 4. Wraiths now inherit your damage bonus and spellpower, and their base damage has been increased.
- Blighted Summoning has been added to Call of the Grave, Necrotic Wall and Shackled Soul.
- Deathknight is now available on Steam.
- Spirit Feed's values have been slightly adjusted, and it's maximum effect is now capped at 5 Souls.
- Grim Harvest's cold damage trigger now functions correctly.
- Soulburn has been added as the 4th Soulforge talent. This consumes souls to massively reduce the cooldown and increase the speed and spellpower of your next spell.
- New icons for the Soul tree have been added.
- Call of the Grave and Soul Reaper have received a small range increase.
- Dark Simulacrum now correctly goes on cooldown when used.
- The Ghouls summoned by Call of the Grave no longer have racials or their default abilities. They instead spawn equipped with weapons and armor, the associated weapon talents and Ghoulish Leap. Soulforge: Call of the Grave now increases their global speed by 40% instead of boosting power or accuracy.
- Soulforge is now correctly learned on birth. For existing characters, learning Soul Tap should grant you the talent.
- Vampiric Embrace particles are removed after deactivation.
- Dark Simulacrum is now instant.
Brief ability writeup:
Class trees -
Spell/Necrotic Might (STR)
- Necrotic Strike: Attack for split cold/darkness damage, inflicting slow and numb. Note that all Necrotic Might attacks also trigger a shield attack for 75% damage.
- Soul Reaper: Teleport to and attack a target. After 5 turns, the target takes cold damage equal to a % of missing life. Killing them before the effect expires restores souls.
- Dark Tide: Attack frontal foes for cold damage and project conal dark damage that randomly inflicts bane of blindness or confusion.
- Grim Harvest: Killing or dealing damage above a certain % life threshold either removes debuffs (if cold damage) or reduces cooldowns (if darkness damage).
- Call of the Grave: Attack multiple times at range for cold damage, raising a ghoul for each strike briefly.
- Meat Shield: Ghouls taunt foes on arrival, and you can raise a ghoul to block attacks against you.
- Corpse Explosion: On death, ghouls explode into a darkness burst that reduces powers of enemies within
- Necrotic Wall: Raises a wall of immobile minions that block line of sight and inflict high melee damage.
- Soul Rend: Attacks have a chance to stun and inflict soul rend, causing a soul fragment to spawn adjacent to the target. Destroying a fragment damages the source and counts as a kill for the purpose of restoring souls etc.
- Devour Soul: Inflict darkness damage in a cone, dispelling rended targets and having a chance to inflict soul rend otherwise.
- Wail of Doom: Inflicts cold damage and talent failure to nearby enemies, with increased damage and duration vs rended targets.
- Black Mirror: Creates weaker copies of all nearby rended targets, which attack their source.
- Essence Drain: Attacks have a chance to grant Soul Fragments, increasing your die_at. Can consume all fragments to restore life/mana/souls.
- Pale Rider: Gain a large amount of die_at.
- Hungering Blade: Increases the chance for Essence Drain, causes it to deal darkness damage, and consuming fragments grants a temporary cold damage projection+lifesteal.
- Undying: Falling below 0 life increases duration of positive effects and increases healing factor. Healing above 0 life drains life from nearby enemies.
- Enervate: Enemies within your Necrotic Aura suffer stacking reduction to saves/resists/damage.
- Shackle Soul: Enemies that die inside your aura have a chance to be raised as wraiths that attack enemies with cold damage.
- Vampiric Embrace: Heal when attacking enemies inside your aura.
- Death Vortex: Briefly inflict high cold/dark damage to those inside your aura.
Spell/Dusk (STR) LOCKED
- Enshroud: Sustain, increases darkness damage/penetration/critical strike chance. Critical hits create damaging shadows under the target.
- Duswake: Teleport through enemies, inflicting darkness damage, blind and leaving behind shadows in your path.
- Night's Edge: Attacks will strike additional enemies inside your shadows, and increases the damage you deal to those inside shadows.
- Lightbane: For the next few turns, massively increases Enshroud bonuses and causes attacks to project dark chain lightning that spreads shadows.
Spell/Frost (STR) LOCKED
- Rime: Increases block value and causes block to strike adjacent enemies for cold damage and reduce cold resistance.
- Icebound Fortitude: Attacks against you retaliate with cold damage, and using block reduces damage taken based on block value.
- Hungering Cold: Pulls enemies in, dealing cold damage and further shield damage if pulled adjacent.
- Remorseless Winter: Summons an ice storm inflicting stacking cold damage. On reaching maximum stacks, freezes foes briefly in an impenetrable iceblock.
Spell/Squire (MAG) LOCKED
- Raise Dead: Summons an elite undead squire with sword/shield techniques.
- Death Pact: Drain life from your summons to heal you.
- Soul Link: Damage you take is split with your squire, and your attacks heal them.
- Dark Transformation: Temporarily grants the squire an enormous boost to offence and defence.
- Spirit Feed: Increases powers, saves and mana regeneration for each soul you have stored.
- Reaper's Shroud: Grants a damage shield on a kill (including vs soul fragments)
- Dark Simulacrum: Grants the use of an enemy's ability briefly, chosen at random.
- Shadow of Death: Provided you have souls, dying will resurrect you as an unkillable wraith. If you can gather souls before the effect expires, you resurrect.
- Soul Tap: Your soulforge ability grants life/mana each time it is triggered.
- Dirge: Your soulforge ability grants a stacking global speed boost each time it is triggered.
- Endless Cycle: Chance to regain a soul when you use soulforge.
- Soulburn: Consumes souls to empower your next spell, increasing speed and spellpower and reducing cooldown.
Technique/Combat Training 1.3