ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 am 
Yeek

A long time ago I posted an idea for a class here, and today I come here with another one. It might not score me points on originality, but the talents in this one are way easier to code and thus I might actually do this in the near future if this drums up any interest. Maybe it's too similar to Arcane Blade's current offering, but who knows.

Code:
Arcane Fencer
Some find the channeling methods used by the arcane blades to be brutish and unrefined, their chaotic nature and imposing power too eager to aid wanton destruction. Some hope to see days where magic is once again respected, and thus they wield their spells with careful channeling and their blades with utmost technique.
Strength +2
Dexterity +3
Magic +4

CLASS TALENTS

Technique / Combat techniques (Existing category. STR/DEX)
- Of course I have to include this! Everyone's favorite(?) melee category. Rush OP.

Technique / Spellfencing 1.2x (A more refined and debonair version of Arcane Blade's magical combat. DEX)
- Arcane Fencing: Channels arcane energy into the dagger in your mainhand, extending its reach into an Arcane Rapier. Adds on-hit arcane damage, your mainhand attacks strike twice for 50-70% damage each, and has a Psiblade visual effect for coolness. You must only have a dagger equipped in the mainhand for this to work, as heavier weapons or anything in the offhand can weigh you down and break focus.
- Arcane Chivalry: Arcane Cunning, but with a crit power boost built in.
- Arcane Focus: Arcane Feed but it's called Arcane Focus which arguably makes it a little cooler.
- Arcane Flourish: Stab once with your Arcane Rapier for a melee attack at 80-120% damage. Additionally, for each Elemental Flair you have active, consume the effect for another instantaneous follow-up attack. I.E. potentially this becomes a 480% damage attack, not counting on-hit effects from your Flairs.

NOTE: All the following talents have the added effect of granting their respective Elemental Flair. Elemental Flair is a buff that lasts five(?) turns and adds damage on-hit of its respective element. Different elements can and should be applied at once, but they do not stack -- they can only be refreshed.

Spell / Flamelash (Any non-weapon-damage scales with spellpower. Each point in this talent category empowers the on-hit damage from Fire Flair. MAG)
- Flicker: Stab once with your Arcane Rapier at an enemy within melee range, dealing all weapon damage as Fire. This attack has bonus damage and critical chance based on talent level. A cheap, low-cooldown way to activate or refresh Fire Flair.
- Ignition: A swing of your blade sends a cone of flame towards a direction of your choosing, setting enemies alight and blinding them.
- Lava Thrust: Emit a beam of powerful piercing fire from your Arcane Rapier, dealing high instant fire damage at enemies.
- Phoenix Flight: Consume your Fire Flair to fly up, wreathe yourself in flame, and then crash back down onto an enemy. You deal weapon damage as Fire to them, and then flames burst out and deal Fireshock (stun) damage enemies within a radius. Your controlled burn does not set the ground alight.

Spell / Icestrike (Any non-weapon-damage scales with spellpower. Each point in this talent category empowers the on-hit damage from Cold Flair. MAG)
- Frost: Stab once with your Arcane Rapier at an enemy within melee range, dealing all weapon damage as Cold. This attack has bonus damage and critical chance based on talent level. A cheap, low-cooldown way to activate or refresh Cold Flair.
- Chill Wind: A swing of your blade sends a cone of cold towards a direction of your choosing, dealing Cold damage and slowing all speeds of enemies caught in the blast.
- Icicle Thrust: Fires a piercing ice beam at a long range extending from your Arcane Rapier, dealing high Cold damage.
- Cold Execution: Consume your Cold Flair to deal a single, powerful attack to an enemy within melee range that deals bonus Cold damage based on their missing Life. Any enemy that survives this attack is Frozen.

Spell / Stormslice (Any non-weapon-damage scales with spellpower. Each point in this talent category empowers the on-hit damage from Lightning Flair. MAG)
- Flash: Stab once with your Arcane Rapier at an enemy within melee range, dealing all weapon damage as Lightning. This attack has bonus damage and critical chance based on talent level. A cheap, low-cooldown way to activate or refresh Lightning Flair.
- Conduction: Carving your blade along the ground sends out lightning bolts to any within a cone towards a direction of your choosing, dealing Lightning damage and dazing any enemies hit.
- Lightning Bolt: Fire a lightning bolt from your Arcane Rapier, dealing high lightning damage in a line.
- Arc of the Blade: Consume your Lightning Flair to become as a lightning bolt yourself, thrusting forward with your Arcane Rapier and firing forward. You pass through enemies and destroy walls in your path, dealing immense Lightning damage and dazing any enemies unfortunate enough to be within range.

LOCKED CLASS TALENTS

Technique / Combat veteran (Existing category. STR/DEX)
- I dunno if people use this category much, but it seems fitting to give to this class. Could help with Stamina management.

Spell / Arcane (Existing category. MAG)
- Disruption Shield should help alleviate weak defenses and any potential Mana concerns.

GENERIC TALENTS (These should go without saying, so I won't include explanations here)

Technique / Combat training 1.0x (Existing category. STR/DEX)
Technique / Mobility 1.2x (Existing category. DEX)
Cunning / Survival 1.0x (Existing category. CUN)
Spell / Aegis 1.2x (Existing category. MAG)

PROS: Focused on on-hit damage, high on-hit damage buffs built into talents via Flashes
Multiple attacks means more criticals
More accurate and evasive than most Arcane Blades due to Dexterity being the main build component
More proficient Light Armor Mastery and access to Disruption Shield alleviate or even eliminate mana concerns
They basically have a lightsaber!

CONS: Less bulky than Arcane Blade overall
Multiple attacks means more retaliation damage
Lacks ranged options early on
No access to shields or powerful two-handed weapons
It's not Archmage.

SUGGESTED PRODIGIES:
Arcane Might, duh!
Elemental Surge has the potential to be really cool with this class
Pain Enhancement System or I Can Carry the World if you feel like being cheeky
Cauterize or even Eye of the Tiger have uses as well

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 pm 
Uruivellas

Looks fun to me, although I admittedly say that about most class designs. Very easy to build on and add new flairs, too, which is a plus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 pm 
Thalore

I agree, I quite like this. Classes that can swap elements on the fly are stronger than they appear at first glance, as I learned recently playing Crystalist. Fencer is a little less free about it than Crystalist was but I still like this a lot and I'd definitely play it. Combat Veteran being locked is pretty garbage though, nobody will ever, ever unlock it with a cat point. Give it unlocked at birth like everyone else or remove it, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 pm 
Yeek

The major code hurdle I'm dealing with right now, ironically, is the double attacking thing with the mainhand. The VERY FIRST SKILL. I want to make the mainhand attack twice but remove offhand attacks. BUT I don't want to make it so you can't equip an offhand. So basically your offhand slot would ust be... an accessory. No attacks, but you can still benefit from egos. And I have no idea how to do this.

I tried to "shave" off some stuff from the Stoic addon since it features those two things separately, but the more I stare at it the more confused I get. I actually don't even know how the stoic addon makes it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
Thalore

I should preface this with the fact that I have never, ever made an addon for ToME, but I do know something about programming.

It should be possible to override the melee basic attack and replace it with a hidden talent... A passive that doesn't appear in the levelup screen, is given at birth, and replaces bump attacks in the same way that Double Strike replaces normal attacks for Brawlers. This talent will hit twice with the mainhand. That way, you don't have to worry about specifically restricting the offhand since "bump attacks" which would normally use it are never actually triggered, this Rapier Strike (example name) is triggered instead.

Alternatively, instead of a hidden passive, you could even bake it right into Arcane Fencing's sustain.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you can probably copy Double Strike wholesale, change the unarmed restriction to a dagger restriction, and give it 0CD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 pm 
Yeek

That's... a way better way of doing it than how I was tackling it. Not a bad plan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 pm 
Thalore

Glad I could be of help! I'm interested to see where this goes. Feel free to bounce more problems off the forums here - I don't promise I can always be of help, like I said I've never made an addon and my Lua knowledge is abysmal at best, but I'm happy to help where I can, and I'm sure others around here wouldn't mind chiming in as well if you come across roadblocks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:11 pm 
Spiderkin

I had the same idea as PseudoLoneWolf. I got a bit carried away and even made a mock up of the talent. Here it is, if you're interested:

https://hastebin.com/osunozubaz.lua

The on_pre_use here is assuming you want the offhand empty, as your original post describes, but you could just leave that part out. The action is designed to attack with only the mainhand, anyhow.

Coding the sustain should be pretty straightforward. Have the sustain apply the arcane damage on-hit.

Also, just a thought, but it might be nice if Arcane Fencing changed the damage mod on daggers from STR/DEX to MAG/DEX, similar to Lethality or Strength of Purpose.

Class looks pretty fun to me; I would definitely give it a go.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 pm 
Thalore

nsrr wrote:
Also, just a thought, but it might be nice if Arcane Fencing changed the damage mod on daggers from STR/DEX to MAG/DEX, similar to Lethality or Strength of Purpose.

Yes! Yes yes! This is good and should definitely be added. I won't say it's a necessity, but, since I assume MAG is one of the main stats and DEX is the other, having to split DEX/CUN for dagger scaling is going to suck. Classes with three mainstats have a consistently awful time in the early game. You want two mains and a tertiary for most reasonably balanced classes, unless you do something like Brawler or Mindslayer that need those other stats for survival or for equip reqs and just have a talent that increases some of your stats by a percent of your other stats. I love those talents but I hate that they have to exist, they feel like hacky workarounds and they usually feel like they end up being just a bit too strong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 am 
Yeek

Your notes have been... noted! I've actually put a really good chunk of work into it now, at this point all I have to do is code the attack talents (which should be easy-ish, a lot of them are variations of each other) and give it a lot of testing.

And once I'm happy with the testing... images! And then release!

While I'm posting, does anyone know how the Psiblade overlay visual works? I want to just replace the mainhand knife with a Psiblade when you channel Arcane Fencing. I poked around the talents and I don't know where that trigger is. I don't... THINK it's a particle?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 am 
Uruivellas

Just to point out, sorry if this is obvious/condescending, nsrr/pseudolonewolf's idea will Not affect any other attack talents you use. Any talents you make for the class will need to also attack twice with mainhand, and if they learn, say, rush, rush will still attack once with both hands.

If this is unacceptable, you'll have to go in and mess with stuff the hard way, like you were probably trying to before. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 am 
Yeek

astralInferno wrote:
Just to point out, sorry if this is obvious/condescending, nsrr/pseudolonewolf's idea will Not affect any other attack talents you use. Any talents you make for the class will need to also attack twice with mainhand, and if they learn, say, rush, rush will still attack once with both hands.

If this is unacceptable, you'll have to go in and mess with stuff the hard way, like you were probably trying to before. :(
Actually, y'know, I'm perfectly fine with that! My main intent with that was to buff up "bump" attacks. Rush working a little different won't bother me even a little. And it's not condescending at all! I appreciate the input, genuinely. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:50 am 
Spiderkin

Verdant Class Pack by HousePet should give you an idea of where to go for the visual. Psiclaws add a new effect similar to Psiblades visual.