ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
This thread in Ideas speaks to an inconvenience that has long mildly annoyed my non-Alchemist characters: having to go to inventory and manually transmo all the gems you've accumulated. The seemingly obvious solution, as requested by the parent thread, is to add a game option to put gems in the transmo chest when you first pick them up just like everything else; as the parent thread points out, though, this turns into an inconvenience for Alchemists, who would now have to go to inventory and check for gems in their transmo list before transmogrifying anything. The compromise, I think, as I have implemented in my Auto-Transmo Gems addon, is simply to ignore the option if you know any talents that use gems.

Now, before I merge this into ZOmnibus, I want to check a couple things:
  • The talents I'm keying off of to ignore the new "Auto-transmo gems" option are Create Alchemist Gems, Extract Gems, Imbue Item and Gem Golem; am I missing any (or including any I shouldn't)?
  • The parent thread mentions certain gems that we wouldn't want going into the transmo chest in any event. The addon checks for this by looking for "unique=true" on the gem it's considering; is that sufficient to catch all of them?

[edit 2013-11-12 11:54pm: Technical info:]
Code:
Hooks:
  GameOptions:tabs [to add our game option]
  UseItemMenu:generate [to add our 'Extract gems' action]
  UseItemMenu:use [to implement our 'Extract gems' action]
Superload:
  mod.class.Player:
    pickupFloor() [to do the putting of gems in the transmo chest]

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Last edited by Zizzo on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:14 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 8:26 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: Nahgharash
One request if you merge this with Zomnibus, can we make an option in the menu to turn it off? While it might make sense for non-alchemists, alchemists would get annoyed having to manually move the gems after every level, lest they lose there ammo materials. An option to enable-disable the feature would solve that issue before it cropped up.

_________________
Currently playing under the name Aura of the Dawn 4 down, 227 to go!
Proud author of Orc Pit Restoration Project, Faction Allies, Dwarven Adventurer addons
SadistSquirrel wrote:
DarkGod has two arms, one with an opened hand, one with a closed fist. You got the fist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Crim, The Red Thunder wrote:
One request if you merge this with Zomnibus, can we make an option in the menu to turn it off? While it might make sense for non-alchemists, alchemists would get annoyed having to manually move the gems after every level, lest they lose there ammo materials. An option to enable-disable the feature would solve that issue before it cropped up.

[scratches head] Um... I tried to be clear about that in the original description:
  • There already is a game option, "Auto-transmo gems".
  • Said option is automatically ignored, and gems kept out of the transmo chest as per default behavior, if the player has learned any talents that use gems.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 8:26 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: Nahgharash
Uhh.... *reads again* oops. :oops:

My mistake then, apparently I misunderstood. Sorry. *hides in shame*

_________________
Currently playing under the name Aura of the Dawn 4 down, 227 to go!
Proud author of Orc Pit Restoration Project, Faction Allies, Dwarven Adventurer addons
SadistSquirrel wrote:
DarkGod has two arms, one with an opened hand, one with a closed fist. You got the fist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Crim, The Red Thunder wrote:
Uhh.... *reads again* oops. :oops:

My mistake then, apparently I misunderstood. Sorry. *hides in shame*

No worries. :wink:

On further review, I think I'm going to punt Extract Gems from the list of overriding talents, on the premise that the player could theoretically take Stone Alchemy from an escort quest and learn Extract Gems just to convert junk into gems for money. I've also found a couple psionic talents that look like they use gems, Matter is Energy and Telekinetic Grasp; should they also override the auto-transmo?

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am
Posts: 1709
Location: Canada
Personally, I'd check for Imbue Gem, create alchemist gems, and Matter is energy.

Those are the only ones that actually consume gems, all of the other talents treat them the same as regular equipment.

_________________
Some of my tools for helping make talents:
Melee Talent Creator
Annotated Talent Code (incomplete)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
lukep wrote:
Personally, I'd check for Imbue Gem, create alchemist gems, and Matter is energy.

Those are the only ones that actually consume gems, all of the other talents treat them the same as regular equipment.

That makes sense; done and done. I've pushed out v2 with those changes. And I think with all that settled, I can go ahead and merge this into ZOmnibus, once I get all my other up-in-the-air addon work settled.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Pushing out v2a with a small bugfix: we probably shouldn't show the "Auto-transmo gems" option to the user if they don't have the transmo chest yet... :oops:

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
And migrated to v1.0.1.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
And migrated to v1.0.3.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
And migrated again to v1.0.4.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:53 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
And migrated again to v1.0.5. Note that the addon's game option now lives in its own tab in the Game Options dialog, which appears to be the intended usage of the new GameOptions:tabs hook.

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 am 
Offline
Higher

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Posts: 52
You do some great QoL work, Zizzo. Thanks for this!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 pm
Posts: 2275
Location: Ambush!
Zizzo wrote:
[*] The talents I'm keying off of to ignore the new "Auto-transmo gems" option are Create Alchemist Gems, Extract Gems, Imbue Item and Gem Golem; am I missing any (or including any I shouldn't)?
Mindslayers also use gems, so the Telekinetic Grasp talent would also be an indication that the character might want to keep his gems.

For addon classes, maybe a special "gem_use=true" flag we can put on a talent? Then you can run through all the talents, and if you see any with "gem_use=true" then you can react appropriately even if it's a talent you've never seen before?

Cheers!

_________________
Check out my addons: Nullpack (classes), Null Tweaks (items & talents), and New Gems fork.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:29 am 
Offline
Sher'Tul

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Posts: 1413
Location: A shallow water area south of Bree
Zizzo wrote:
Note that the addon's game option now lives in its own tab in the Game Options dialog, which appears to be the intended usage of the new GameOptions:tabs hook.

So... it seems I may have misconstrued DarkGod's intentions on this matter. I've pushed out v2f with the "Auto-transmo gems" option moved back to the Gameplay tab. We Apologize for the Inconvenience.(TM) :oops:

Doctornull wrote:
Mindslayers also use gems, so the Telekinetic Grasp talent would also be an indication that the character might want to keep his gems.

For addon classes, maybe a special "gem_use=true" flag we can put on a talent? Then you can run through all the talents, and if you see any with "gem_use=true" then you can react appropriately even if it's a talent you've never seen before?

I completely missed this, sorry... :oops: I'll try to come back to this later; DarkGod has been subtly hinting that I should be pushing addons out to the Steam Workshop with some dispatch. :wink:

_________________
"Blessed are the yeeks, for they shall inherit Arda..."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group