ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Addons issues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:35 am 
Thalore

It appears that it is true that the game slows down to a crawl when you have 3 or more addons active at a time, including official addons such as the item vault. It's funny to watch the character going on auto-explore in slow motion. :lol:

And there are occasions when the game just mysteriously bombs out completely, dropping me back to the desktop.

Post subject: Re: Addons issues
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Omega Blue wrote:
It appears that it is true that the game slows down to a crawl when you have 3 or more addons active at a time, including official addons such as the item vault. It's funny to watch the character going on auto-explore in slow motion. :lol:

And there are occasions when the game just mysteriously bombs out completely, dropping me back to the desktop.

Some of this depend on the addon's themselves, for instance, stone warden is laggy as all blazes, even when it's the only thing loaded. (People have reported the same issue with some versions of the barbarian addon, IIRC; which might indicate issues with race/class addon's.) I tend to RUN acceptable after loading with my 3, so long as stone warden isn't one of the three, but even it just seems to quadruple load times, I haven't noticed huge lag issues while playing, though what I have might be attributable to other sources.

Is there any real way to record and compare exactly what sort of processing issues (that is, related to lag) are occuring with different addons? Something recordable we could use to provide enough information to help improve the issue?

DarkGod has two arms, one with an opened hand, one with a closed fist. You got the fist.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm 
Sher'Tul

ive posted about this, and screenshots as well on the process in both the bug forum and in the kestins lost vault which seems to be the biggest offender when I have it loaded. No one seemed to care much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Crashes seem to be caused by game running out of ram.
Multiple addons seem to cause the memory munching to eat up the ram much faster than normal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Crim, The Red Thunder wrote:
Some of this depend on the addon's themselves, for instance, stone warden is laggy as all blazes, even when it's the only thing loaded. (People have reported the same issue with some versions of the barbarian addon, IIRC; which might indicate issues with race/class addon's.)

One thing I've seen cause problems in my addon development is overloading stuff in data/. Stone Warden and Items Vault both do this, and race/class addons are probably disproportionately likely to do so also, since their new race/class talents will need toolbar icons and possibly particle effects, both of which are hardwired to look in /data/gfx for their files. No Adventuers Parties, for instance, used to overload the entities file for worldmap encounters; it broke when Stone Warden was released (in that it got stuck in the load sequence for several minutes and bloated up to ~8GB memory before I finally killed it), and started working again when I rewrote it to use hooks instead.