ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to best get started
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Wyrmic

Alright, so I'm strongly considering moving a somewhat ambitious project to the T-Engine. It offers a ton of stuff that I really need and that would be an absolute pain to code on my own.

The question is, what's the best way to get started? I'm fairly familiar with the language, but not with the engine itself. I've taken a good, long look at the wiki, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. I've also done some source-diving with ToME, but that's way too complex for me right now.

I'd be grateful if you folks could give me a tip or two, I'm a bit... stumped right now. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 am 
Sher'Tul

I suggest we start a new wiki. There is also another poat similar to this one where grey and others have explained quite a bit. I believe it's in this subforum as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 am 
Module Developer

yeah the general t-engine sub forum is great for that. The best way to start is to modify existing modules be that ToME, the example or some random 7drl. If you are stuck of have a specific question we have a channel and generally someone can help you. The channel is irc.rizon.net #tome. You can post to the forums but it will take longer for use to respond.

<yufra> every vault designer should ask themselves exactly that: What Would Grey Do?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:39 pm 
Higher

Yeah, I agree, ToME is far too complex to get an understanding of what's going on. (And awesome, don't get me wrong! There's a reason it won RL of the Year for 3 years running!) I learned a lot by taking apart all of Grey's games over at http://www.gruesomegames.com.

I'd be willing to do Wiki articles on how to get tiles, sound and shaders working. Pretty much because I just now got tiles, sound and shaders working.