ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 am 

I did some manual searching and wasn't able to find some answers so here are my questions:

Does T-Engine support character animations?
Does T-Engine support cut-scene animations?
How in depth can I be with questing?
Is there any way I can implement my own save-system? (mostly I want the option of saving from NPC in towns, and a forced-save upon entering dungeons)
Is there any way to use a crafting system? (Mining, Gathering, that type of thing)
Is there any way to support multiple endings based on different variables?
Is there an achievement system or can I make an achievement system somehow?

I think that's all of my questions. I'm attempting to make a game that's kind of a cross between a roguelike and a traditional RPG. Any help towards these questions would be great! Thank you, and again I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 am 
Loremaster

> Does T-Engine support character animations?

Not that I know of.

> Does T-Engine support cut-scene animations?

Hmm... dunno, but I imagine with some hackery it might be possible.

> How in depth can I be with questing?

Quite deep I imagine, as the engine is very flexible and extendible. You can build your own queset system easily enough.

> Is there any way I can implement my own save-system? (mostly I want the option of saving from NPC in towns, and a forced-save upon entering dungeons)

There are ways of manipulating save files directly, and I imagine save-storing is possible.

> Is there any way to use a crafting system? (Mining, Gathering, that type of thing)

You would have to build your own crafting system I think, but it's certainly doable. A basic crafting system with item interactions would be easy enough. For something more complex you'd have to make your own interface and things to really do it right.

> Is there any way to support multiple endings based on different variables?

Yes. ToME has multiple endings. It's pretty trivial to set up a few variables and have different endings or variances in endings based on these.

> Is there an achievement system or can I make an achievement system somehow?

There is an achievement system built into the engine. ToME uses it, so it's easy enough to copy code from it.

Quote:
I think that's all of my questions. I'm attempting to make a game that's kind of a cross between a roguelike and a traditional RPG. Any help towards these questions would be great! Thank you, and again I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong place.

This thread could go in either Modules or Development, but since it's asking engine-specific questions I think it's best placed where you've posted.

I've been curious for a while if anyone would try to make a more direct RPG with the T-Engine. Will be interesting to see what you make :) I strongly encourage you to start with a very small simple game first to get to know the Engine though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm 
Retired Ninja

Also if you have further questions a lot of us hang out in IRC at irc.rizon.net #tome