ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:33 am 
Yeek

I cannot run (downloaded from website) t-engine on Xubuntu 14.04.01 64-bit, because libudev.so.0 is missing.

Workaround on 64-bit:

copy libudev.so.1 from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ to the lib64 directory in your t-engine directory and rename the copy to libudev.so.0. In my case, the t-engine directory is:

/home/user/Desktop/t-engine4-linux64-1.2.5/

So, in my case, I just type this into terminal:

Code:
cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /home/user/Desktop/t-engine4-linux64-1.2.5/lib64/ && cd /home/user/Desktop/t-engine4-linux64-1.2.5/lib64/ && mv libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

It makes a copy of libudev.so.1 file to t-engine directory and renames the copy in t-engine directory to libudev.so.0. I don't know what libudev.so.x is but it seems libudev.so.1 substitutes libudev.so.0 as long as you rename it to libudev.so.0 to "fool" t-engine to think it is the missing libudev.so.0 by renaming it.

And I can execute t-engine successfully!

Apparently symlinking libudev.so.1 to libudev.so.0 (which also does the trick) is considered controversial and possibly could cause other programs not to work, so this would be a better solution(?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:18 pm 
Wayist

This same issue is being discussed over at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42678. I'm afraid that the symlink solution is controversial for the same reason making a copy of the file is - the fact that libudev0 and libudev1 aren't guaranteed to be binary compatible.

I ended up building a custom libudev0 package since recent Ubuntu releases don't come with it. Evidently you can also delete the libcef.so file from the game's lib directory, which will disable the in-game web browser but allow it to start.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:56 pm 
Master of Eyal

Mind checking the beta here: http://te4.org/beta-test please ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm 
Wayist

darkgod wrote:
Mind checking the beta here: http://te4.org/beta-test please ?

Yes, works perfectly on stock Ubuntu 14.10. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:43 am 
Yeek

Symlinking affects other programs using libudev.so.0 as well (and libudev.so.0 is not libudev.so.1 even though it's similar enough to make ToME work with it). Making a renamed copy into the specific ToME folder doesn't, as far as I know, so it's better to make a renamed copy. That's what my Gentoo-using programmer friend told me at least.