ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 am 
Cornac

It's great to see an OS X build again, but the RC3 doesn't launch successfully for me under OS X 10.8.2 (12C60).

The app loads a blank white window, but then appears to stop. It is responsive to the limited range of available menu commands (e.g., "About T-Engine"), but doesn't do anything beyond that. The console traffic doesn't seem to be too informative, but here's what it shows:

Code:
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local T-Engine[8513]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local T-Engine[8513]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4273340
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: Received display connect changed for display 0x3f003d
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: Received display connect changed for display 0x3f003e
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: CGXMuxAcknowledge: Posting glitchless acknowledge
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: MPAccessSurfaceForDisplayDevice: Set up page flip mode on display 0x04273340 device: 0x1014b5320  isBackBuffered: 1 numComp: 3 numDisp: 3
Dec 25 23:45:46 myComputer.local WindowServer[75]: Received display connect changed for display 0x4273340

I tried Finder "drag copying" the app from the installer disk image, using "cp -R" from the command line, and even sudo copying from the command line, but all seem to have the same result.

At casual inspection, the app package seems intact, but I haven't delved too deeply into it yet. Has anyone else gotten it to run yet? Any suggestions for what to try to get it running?

Thanks,
Forrest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 am 
Master of Eyal

Uhhh sorry, I didnt mean to publish it, we still ahve no compile for osx :<

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:33 pm 
Cornac

darkgod wrote:
Uhhh sorry, I didnt mean to publish it, we still ahve no compile for osx :<

Ah. Well, the good news is that I can stop troubleshooting it. :|

I know the OS X target is not on your usual build tree, but...why not? Is it a limitation of your toolset? Does the code really have to be hacked manually for each and every release? Is it because the specific version of a third-party library isn't available/current/in the nightlies? I know that you've had other folks help you making the Mac versions, but we haven't had a platform release for the last four significant builds. What's changed since B42, which did (mostly) work?

I understand that a Mac app might require some additional massaging, but I would thought that once you figured out the platform-specific glue and necessary tweaks to the build scripts, subsequent updates would be more or less automatic. It obviously isn't that simple, but I'm curious what the systemic issue is. Why can't OS X be a part of the nightly build cycle?

Mind you, I'm not complaining, but I am concerned. Whatever the problem is, I know that the longer it goes unresolved the harder it will be to make it work. We're at the point where the OS X version is more or less a full generation behind now, and it makes me nervous to see bursts of RC releases with nothing for the platform. What do you think it will take to get the OS X version back on track?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm 
Master of Eyal

I dont do the OSX compiles, I dont have an OSX machine at all :<

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:17 pm 
Sher'Tul

effable wrote:
What do you think it will take to get the OS X version back on track?

It will take someone who knows how to do it. Apparently building for OS X requires extremely specialized knowledge. If you can help with this, then I'm sure your work would be greatly appreciated! If not, then... well....