ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm 
Sher'Tul

Yeeks are built for mindpower classes, they're fragile, and they're speedy. They also have a difficult time of it at first. The answer to "which classes should I play as a yeek" varies *drastically* on your level of play. If you're just trying to survive the first two dungeons, you need a class that will come online quickly, and let you paper over the vulnerabilities that the yeek has. I have no information for you there. Once you get past that point... well, there are classes out there that start out vulnerable, which really doubles down on the early yeek difficulty, but that can be *fun*. It also means that your difficulty spike is right at the beginning, so if you die, you can just restart. For that, I would honestly suggest going with the obvious yeek advantages and picking something mindpower-based, wielding mindstars. There's also a pretty obvious win to going antimagic, if you do.

- I've had a lot of fun with Yeek Doomed in the past, but that was very much playing the initial dungeons from a "losing is fun" perspective. Also, that was before they nerfed low-level electric eels, so it's not going to be quite as starkly lethal now. Also, yeek plus afflicted can get you 100% confusion resistance off your race+skills pretty early on. That's nice. If you want to *really* push the boundaries of the early-game suck for later power trade, go yeek doomed with a heavy early focus on shadows. You go from desperately trying to survive the early game to walking around like a tiny god by level 12 or so while your enemies fall like wheat around you. It's pretty entertaining.

- Yeek solipsists, long-term, will let you fully exploit the yeek advantages while blithely ignoring the yeek disadvantages. Short-term, my play expereince was that if I didn't get a lucky drop or two in the first level or two of Murgol's lair, I was dead. Don't bother resurrecting at the Eidolon until you get off yeek island, even if you're playing adventurer. Better to restart. Go with pure hammer for your attack technique in order to double down on the "early difficulties for late-game power" schtick. The yeek speed thing and the solipsist speed thing stack in nice ways, too.

- Yeek mindslayer should work pretty well, but honestly, I haven't put in the time to figure out the new version of mindslayer, so I can't really speak to that.

- Yeek Oozemaster is another one that should work pretty well but that I haven't put a lot of work in on. Most of my oozemasters wind up Thalore for the resist-stacking. If you do go with this one, you probably want your early focus to be on the bloated ooze side of things, for the survivability.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am 
Yeek

Yeeks have a couple features that make them stand out, good and bad. The good: you get a global speed passive, you get levels extremely fast due to their experience multiplier, you can get some extra bodies when you need them with the activated talents, and you get some cheap confusion and silence immunity if you need them. The bad: your HP pool is total garbage due to basement levels of life rating and constitution, you have very skewed starting stats towards will and cun and away from physical stats if your class needs them, and you are small.

The really dominant factor there if you actually want to win is the HP pool, and whether the faster exp helps you get a build online quicker to handle the game's difficulty spikes despite the wacky starting stats. Global speed is always good, both defensively and offensively as it means that there are less chances for enemies to get double turns on you, and more chances for you to get double turns on them.

So ideally you'd want a class that has some sort of protections against one shots or has built in ways to expand their effective HP that aren't dependent on having a naturally high HP pool, and hopefully don't rely too much on you paying perfectly 100% all of the time. Resilience effects, like necromancer's sacrifice and sawbutcher's grinding shield, that make it so you can't take more than a certain percentage of your max life in one instance of damage have natural synergy with your naturally smaller health pool, but there are other options like damage shields, die at -life buffs, and such. Heroism and pain suppression salves are really good in general, but they are extra good for yeeks. I haven't tried possessor, but that seems like an alternate way to get around your natural squishiness.

I just had an insane win with a yeek sawbutcher, and the experience curve mixed with the late bloomer nature of the class had a pretty interesting interaction. I died repeatedly and rather embarassingly in the Ritch hives until I floated a point in the so-so explosive steam engine range attack talent, and once I got past the early game hurdle and to the mainland I had surprisingly few close calls and no more deaths to the end of the game, even killing Atamathon before going to high peak. It honestly felt easier than it should have been.

For comparison, immediately prior I did a yeek doomed and got the master and died there. I'm not sure it was bad so much as very very slow, and my focus so hard building and gearing to not get one shot led to a blind spot where I ended up getting killed due to stunlock.

A tip though: don't forget your dominant will activated ability, it stays useful throughout the game even if you aren't building too hard for mindpower. Some enemies will have piddling mind save throughout, and it can be nice to have an extra body in a fight. Especially so when you are playing on a high difficulty and an enemy summoner puts a warhound, DESTROYER OF WORLDS, right next to you. That warhound probably has a mind save of 1, and for an instant action it is now your warhound, DESTROYER OF WORLDS, until it disappears.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am 
Halfling

Actually, Dominant Will doesn't even scale with your mindpower.
Code:
target:checkHit(self:getWil(20, true) + self.level * 1.5, target.level)

It just checks your level + willpower (modified) against their level.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm 
Yeek

Erenion wrote:
Actually, Dominant Will doesn't even scale with your mindpower.
Code:
target:checkHit(self:getWil(20, true) + self.level * 1.5, target.level)

It just checks your level + willpower (modified) against their level.

Hmmm, good to know. I guess you could target some bigger nasties more regularly than I thought with that.