ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Murder Hobo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:43 pm 
Halfling

So if I wanted to play your traditional murder hobo who beats people up with a stick, what class would you recommend? I know Reavers with dual short staves is a common tactic, but apart from that? Maybe some kind of Arcane Blade with a weird 2H/Staff Combat focus? Possibly even an Ogre with a staff and shield? Or something more outlandish?

I'm not looking for the optimal build or anything, just some recommendations on fun builds. Because for some reason bashing monsters with a big magic stick just sounds really appealing.

Post subject: Re: Murder Hobo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:05 am 
Archmage

An arcane blade will be pretty effective with a staff, ogre or not. Actually that's a pretty common idea. I think a sun paladin would do well enough too.

If you want something really unconventional, do it as a berserker. Pump magic, buy staff combat and crack some skulls with a stick.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:13 am 
Uruivellas

Doombringer too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:40 am 
Halfling

Thanks for the recommendations! I did just throw a quick Ogre Arcane Blade together, and then noticed the price damage reduction from 1-handing a 2-hander. I may keep with that character just because being an enormous dude in robes(?) with a magic stick of death sounds too great to pass up.

And thank you for the Doombringer and Sun Paladin advice; I haven't started either yet so I don't really know how they work. Berserker sounds like it would be completely crazy! :D

Also read about Shadowblade staff builds. Could be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:21 pm 
Thalore

Magic-focused 2h staff Wyrmic with Undead Drake tree unlocked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:59 am 
Uruivellas

I actually tried a few Insane runs as a Shalore Wyrmic with 2h staff. I think the concept is sound, but the lack of status removals available to Wyrmic was the main problem. I ended up failing consistently in T2 dungeons. Should be doable on Normal and probably Nightmare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm 
Spiderkin

shortstaff demonologist with the acid cone seed is basically a hipster arcane blade and does ok damage, at least. like all shortstaff builds it's a massive pain to set up though.

e: i remember hearing the staff wyrmic theorycrafting but undead drake tree is too weak to properly support it since raze sucks, sadly. it has a max damage of like 1000 per turn at 100 SP if you've got all your accuracy and significant +dark

e:e: the staff wyrmic dream might not be so awful, theorycrafting indicates acid groove and other tinkers get the proc boost, and groove does like 100 dam lategame and synergises with your damage stacking. also you get like 4 dissolves in a row with the right setup.

<mex> your posts lead to people like me being abused and murdered

Last edited by ster on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:07 pm 
Uruivellas

My staff Wyrmic was designed more around using Celestial/Light than the Undead Drake tree, although I was planning to try out UD just for fun. I never actually got far enough to unlock it though. Higher Draconic would be a decent alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:01 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Mindslayer :-)