ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:03 am 
Higher

Figured this would be nice, kind of surprised this kind of thread either doesn't exist or hasn't been made for a while. So, for me personally:

So, we know the gods are restricted to Eyal, and we know Urh'Rok has a vendetta against the Sher'Tul. Is the Fearscape planet something Urh'Rok created to save himself from destruction under the Sher'Tul or was there some shady business of interplanetary trade going on here? Am I way off the mark entirely? Is the Fearscape Invasion campaign going to detail some kind of backstory?

One can kind of see the edges of islands and inaccessible plains and such in the west (possible the east to, never thought to check). Are they of any importance? Anybody on the east right now able to spot the southern continent or something? ;) Speaking of which, I don't know if this happens for others, but there's always this square of sea semi-visible and to the left of the island of Rel, possibly the location of the Temple of Creation and connected to Vargh? Ulk-etc. says that it's far far far away from the Underwater Caves (can't remember if he specifically says the west or even farther east that it is the west).

I know there's a few others I was wondering about, but that's the only that comes to mind atm. Though I do have one kind of big question regarding the Orc campaign that I wouldn't be surprised if the answer would have to come with the release of the campaign. Now, we know the Orc Campaign is going to end with the attempted resurrection of Amakthel. It is generally believed that Amakthel is deep below the Deep Bellow and the Iron Council, the leaders of which (or is just the one leader?) have never been seen. The teaser mentions that Amakthel's Prison is deep below the "Hiding place of the ruling council of the Steam Giants"... You get what I'm saying? Probably not the first to posit this, but after thinking about it profusely I now just have to know. But I also figured that there should be a thread for lore questions in general, totally not self-serving in any way. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:30 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Fearscape is one of the continents that was ripped off the demon world by the Spellblaze (or was it the later Cataclysm?)

The southern continent of Tar'Eyal is surrounded by a mysterious barrier, there is a lore in a shop about this.

The semi visible tiles are a bug.

And finally, the centre of the world is deep below every point on the planet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:15 am 
Higher

HousePet wrote:
Fearscape is one of the continents that was ripped off the demon world by the Spellblaze (or was it the later Cataclysm?)

The southern continent of Tar'Eyal is surrounded by a mysterious barrier, there is a lore in a shop about this.

The semi visible tiles are a bug.

And finally, the centre of the world is deep below every point on the planet.

1. *EDITED* Read that wrong. Ahhhhhhhhh. I see. Guessing from a comment DG made that the demons mistakenly hate the Sher'Tul as Eyal is their homeworld then.

2. Vaguely remember that... I want to say that's the lore about Pale Drake, but a bigger part me says that it isn't. No characters going right now so it'll take me some time to get to Lake Nur, but I know I have all the lore one can get so I'll try and find out which it is later. *EDIT* *facepalm*I'll just go trolling around the shops rq. EDIT 2: Electric Overused Meme - Yeah, it's in the Last Hope shop. Some powerful shit going down there to cover a whole continent if it doesn't originate from the Spellblaze, man, can't wait for THAT campaign. :D

3. Ah, that seemed the likeliest of cases.

4. Wish I had a winner with the Staff to reread the fortress lore, but Amakthel is at the center of the world? Huh. Well, there goes that theory.

Thanks for the answers!

Speaking of Pale Drake, what exactly is that last line of his lore saying, the bit mentioning Dreadfell? I know it's to justify his being the sub-boss, but I can't make out exactly how it does this. Just that Dreadfell is where he was taken, unless it's supposed to be a mystery. Especially curious since he would have been there since the Cataclysm and Southspar's destruction, meaning he's been there since The Master took over and a hell of a lot longer and The Master had no clue? Or was there something I missed in Dreadfell's lore? Not that everything has to be explained about things like sub-bosses.

Another question: How did Filio get the Staff? I kind of remember that being explained in the lore as well but I'm not 100% on that, and if it was explained I clearly can't remember for the life of me. Must have forgot when I read that the poor fella had to eat his own shit.

Really, while the main story is intentionally lacking so that any character created can be the force to stop the sorcerors (it pretty much has to be somewhat minimal to keep the course the same, though more quests like Keepsake are welcome by me!), the lore system is absolutely phenomenal and very immersive. Very few games can make spending so much time reading a valuable part of the experience, not to mention making it fun and satisfying.

Last edited by emblempride on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:22 am 
Perspiring Physicist

The staff was recovered from some sher'tul ruins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:37 am 
Higher

HousePet wrote:
The staff was recovered from some sher'tul ruins.

Ah, I see. Thanks again, that's all from me for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Cornac

This seems the right thread for it; on the Something Awful thread for this game, I made a brief and semi-humorous "backstory" dump. I wouldn't mind at all if people picked at it and told me where I'm wrong, cough cough :wink:

Quote:
Age of Haze: Sher'tul are murdering all the gods for having the audacity to be gods, then wander off through the farportals

Age of Allure: Halflings find Sher'tul ruins and start exploiting them for power, create their empire and begin enslaving everything they see including yeeks, orcs, and humans. They even make literal coats out of the yeek, I mean god damn.

Allure Wars: Human Conclave and Shaloren start finding ruins too, a big MAGE WAR begins, and now everything is awful for everyone. One Conclave test experiment escapes and creates Zigur, which ends the war by murdering ever single wizard they can find until there aren't enough to continue fighting. Meanwhile the dwarves are doing all they can to wipe out the race of dragons because goooooold.

Pre-Spellblaze: Allure Wars end, everyone's shit is wrecked. The dwarves start helping them rebuild because of capitalism, then just vanish right as the orcs decide now is their time to rise up. They're REALLY GOOD at this and everyone is freaked, so the Conclave and Shaloren team up to create an awesome weapon that would wipe out the orcs called the Spellblaze. It works really well! Whoops! Before this happens the orcs find a farportal to the East and set up colonies "just in case."

Spellblaze: EVERYTHING IS REKT. The Magic Ozone Layer gets a giant hole ripped into it, magic goes crazy, everything is on fire and blight starts pouring into the planet. Zigur begin their Spellhunt which involves murdering everything that could ever even be magical in any way. All remaining orcs are systematically wiped out, Shaloren hide their city, remaining orcs lick their wounds in the East.

Age of Dusk: Zigur finally stops killing all wizards, Linoniil founds Angolwen after devouring the energy of a dead god the Sher'Tul embarrassingly forgot to clean up. Necromancers start to appear en-masse, tyrant-warlocks start petty fiefdoms, new and exciting diseases begin to crop up, civilization more or less shrinks down. This goes on for awhile! Eventually, to show her good intentions, wizards leave Angolwen and begin curing the new diseases and helping out as much as they can while staying secretive, because Zigur is still watching for any magic using punks to come around. Dwarves start showing up again as people scratch their heads and wonder where the hell they went. Most people know mages helped cure the diseases, but most people figure they also made them, so it's a bit of a wash.

Cataclysm: Whoops guess the Spellblaze wasn't done, huh? Naloren become naga after their entire part of the continent decides it's better down where it's wetter and the Naloren decide gills would be really nice right about now. The whole continent is pretty much ruined; Daikara (and a bunch of other volcanos) erupt, the Nur Plains become Lake Nur, the island of Rel drifts away and the yeek create the Way because screw halflings. Humans sail east to find out what happened to all that land that left, spoilers: they don't find it because it's at the bottom of the ocean, but hey, they do find a whole new continent to the east! Orcs say hello, humans politely greet them back, by which I mean they immediately begin slaughtering each other. Eastern humans find native Shaloren who aren't actually connected to the western Shaloren, found the Sunwall and Gates of Morning ,they teach each other how to make the Celestial classes. Garkul the Devourer, a name you can trust, decides it's time to put his plan into motion. His plan is to murder everything in the universe. Orcs learn how to be Corruptors long before the Shaloren figure it out, Shaloren confirmed to be terrible at most everything.

Age of Pyre: Orcs swing on by the western continent via farportal to cook everyone dinner. Dinner is their cities. Orcs proceed to light everything on fire, name the age themselves, and Garkul himself kills probably like ten billion halflings and humans. Everyone freaks out again and the halflings and humans try to put aside their differences and fight together; it helps that the orcs are only making a few side swipes at humans and are far more concerned with their mass halfling genocide (which, mind you, the halflings did to them first). Dwarves start to get involved, which makes the orcs notice them and begin burning their cities which are made of rock; dwarves protest that cities made of rock really shouldn't be burning and swiftly stop being involved (but continue to send weapons to the non-orcs in secret). Orcs begin colonizing the land after the conquer it, leaving only a small token force in the East after pushing the eastern alliance of humans and elves all the way back into the Gates of Morning and Sunwall. Mages of Angolwen and Zigur both join the alliance against the orcs, probably knowing that the other is there, but sticking to their main goal of getting rid of the tuskies. Garkul eventually eats it after taking down Atamathon and a halfling army AND a human army, good lord, most PCs can't even handle the already damaged Atamathon. The human king and halfling queen win the war together and get married and everyone is super happy and it's really sweet and the two races are finally united together; also, mass genocide of all orcs, explicitly hunting down and killing any women and children, ensuring the "orc menace" is literally wiped clean from the planet, whoops guess who doesn't know about the East.

Age of Ascendancy: The half-halfling and half-human prince is born and the Allied Kingdoms are formed. Dwarves reopen all their trade routes but keep their cities a secret, no non-dwarves allowed. Angolwen and Zigur both quietly fade into the background and begin glaring at each other, with Zigur sending out patrols and Angolwen placing agents in some of the cities. People are still suspicious of mages but won't murder them in the street. Zigur is proven completely correct as the Shaloren figure out how to unlock the Defiler metaclass and the Rhaloren split off, preaching magical supremacy. Zigur is unknowingly proven even more correct as two Angolwen mages go exploring East and decide to bring back one of the long-dead gods that hates all creation and wishes to end all life, cool idea man. They disguise themselves as orcs, fool pretty much none of the actual orc leaders, but dangle enough power and revenge in front of them to get their attention. Orcs begin sending scouts through the Iron Throne farportal to check out the west. Adventurers start adventuring. You make your character!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm 
Loremaster

That's a pretty awesome summary :-) One correction - Garkul was born I the west. The farportal to the east wasn't found by them until his time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:12 am 
Wyrmic

yeah quick correction amakathel isn't in the center of the planet he was chopped into pieces and those pieces were buried in different places one is under iron throne, anothers probably under heart of the gloom, and the piece under the steam giants is probably a really important one like the head or heart or just the whole torso based on that mural in the fortress.

and for that summary.

sher'tul didn't just wander off their dead god initiated some kind of apocalypse on them forcing them to leave the planet, considering the existance of the wierdling beast (mutant shertul) this was probably some kind of super powered zombie apocalypse that created a lot of the horrors we know today.

spellhunt continued into the age of dusk hunting down the rouge wizards of the era.

the yeeks went to the island and started the way in the age of allure know this since they all escaped their when the research facility connected to rel was destroyed in the allure wars or during the allure wars not sure if it was humans or yeek uprising know that it was during the allure wars from the facility's lore though.

as for the sunwall yeah the elves there were refuges trying to escape from kor'pul in the age of dusk it was when a mardrop expedition to find out what happened to the naloren lands crashed there that the sunwall was founded.

your not wrong about this but its something to add.
in order to save the human king the halfling queen makes some kind of deal with dark forces and later gives birth to the half-halfling and half-human prince who is literally the first and only half breed in the entirety of recorded history who ends up taking the throne at a young age because of his fathers mysterious death.

so yeah king of the allied kingdoms is puppet ruler for some unnamed evil which you will probably end up fighting in the naga or demon campaign or something so hurray for regicide.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

astreoth wrote:
spellhunt continued into the age of dusk hunting down the rouge wizards of the era.

This game needs a Rouge Wizard. He could be named for his tendency to get blood on his normally bone white robes and have a quirky melee necromancer robe artifact.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am 
Loremaster

astreoth wrote:
sher'tul didn't just wander off their dead god initiated some kind of apocalypse on them forcing them to leave the planet

Not entirely true :)

Quote:
in order to save the human king the halfling queen makes some kind of deal with dark forces

Hah! Is that the Zigur side of things? :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:14 am 
Perspiring Physicist

Well Zigur is actually a Conclave experiment in how to harness the power of Nature to its full extent...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:50 pm 
Wyrmic

no its well known history in game that the halfling queen and her army shouldn't of been able to reach last hope in time to save them from the orcs in the middle of winter and none of her troops would say anything about how they did it so it was rumored she made some deal with sorcerers or something and with the oddities surrounding her son tolak theirs likely some truth to that.

pretty sure it says this in one of toknors diaries in last hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm 
Loremaster

astreoth wrote:
no its well known history in game that the halfling queen and her army shouldn't of been able to reach last hope in time to save them from the orcs in the middle of winter and none of her troops would say anything about how they did it so it was rumored she made some deal with sorcerers or something and with the oddities surrounding her son tolak theirs likely some truth to that.

pretty sure it says this in one of toknors diaries in last hope.

I'm pretty sure I wrote those diaries ;) It does indeed say they she received help, but you should look in detail as to who she received help from.

And for the birth of her son she just had aid from halfling healers, nothing sinister.

Of course it would make perfect sense for the Zigur to start up such rumours!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:14 pm 
Wyrmic

okay could buy into anglowen being the one to help out then but if it was something healers could do I'm pretty sure their'd be more than one half breed ever heck even if anglowen was responsible for that their would still be more than one half breed so only evil can be responsible.

oh wait maybe it is anglowen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 am 
Uruivellas

astreoth wrote:
Oh wait maybe it is anglowen.

I think someone is a Ziguranth-sympathizer... :cry:

Why root for the wrong team?

Also, in lighter (sort of) news, I'm surprised there hasn't been a large-scale ghoul outbreak, what with all the disease, blight, Blight, Corruption, and other dark forces rife throughout Eyal. Perhaps a certain Time lord isn't a ghoul enthusiast? :D

Look who forgot to call them ghouls...

EDIT: Thank you, Mewtarthio. :)

Last edited by The Revanchist on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Error on my part