ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am 
Uruivellas

I've sketched out a few variations on that sorta thing - several ways to create blocking terrain, and a pull talent for the advanced 'melee' tree.

For reference, here's my current draft of categories:

Class
Lava - as mentioned before, basic damage category through slingshots
Forgefire - fire caster. lots of fire damage and debuffs that melt armor, weapons, effects, saves...
Tectonics - physical caster. terrain creation/destruction
Stonesmith - conjured weapons. think TK weapons(s)+dreamhammer sorta thing
Earthshaping - utility/summoning tree. main way to manipulate terrain and turn terrain into summons
Volcanism (Locked) - summon volcanoes, makes volcanoes do a bunch of stuff. lots of passive damage
Rock (Locked) - advanced terrain. get buffs from summoned walls, summoning walls triggers effects and so on
Stonespear (Locked) - melee tree. buffs your staff/conjured weapons and rewards you for close combat
Magnetism (Locked) - ranged tree. buffs your slingshot attacks and gives some advanced techs for it

Generic
Geomancy - utility stuff like wall walking and buffs for being inside terrain
Earthen Armory - improves your conjured weapons, lets you conjure armor and shields out of stone
Sand - field control, creates sand tiles that you can manipulate
Crystal (Locked) - use gems to buff yourself and summons, create summons from gems
Metal (Locked) - weakens equipment of enemies, uses the stolen metal to buff yourself

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 pm 
Halfling

Given the class has a lot to do with terrain, it would be a shame if there is no lasting trace of the geomancing that happened during a battle. With this in mind I am thinking about a tree that is visually appealing, and at the same time would bring some unique flavor to the class:

Tree: Primeval Power

Drought: Passive which does additional effect for each raw talent level
TL1: You constantly radiate intense psychic power, shattering everything around you into dust in a radius of 1, and leaving a trail of sand wherever you go. Ground tiles and walls under effect become sand tiles and sand walls permanently, and you move x% faster in the sand.
TL2: Blood dropped into the sand invigorates you, damages you do to enemies standing on sand tiles heal you for a % of their damage taken
TL3: The sand sears everything standing on it. The sand tiles will be wreathed in flames permanently, and deals moderate damage similar to that of Devouring Flame.
TL4: Radius of this talent increases to 2

Sand Tunnel: Teleport enemy standing on sand tile to another sand tile. Number of enemies you could teleport increases with talent level. Alternatively you could cast it to yourself.

Horrid Wilting: Target an area in ball shape and make the ground tiles and walls under effect into sand tiles and sand walls permanently. Deals high damage. The passive effect gained from Drought also applies here.

Sand Worm: Sand is a portal to different worlds to an adept Geomancer, and they could summon horrible monsters from sands. Summon a sandworm to a target sand tile to aid you in battle. The sandworm could not travel outside sand tiles however.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm 
Uruivellas

Bit like the sketch I had for Sand. Though mine is under generic, so wouldn't have any direct damage stuff, more just general utility.
Code:
Sand

Erosion
Creating/destroying terrain creates sand tiles in radius 1-2 around them. Sand tiles reduce pin/knockback resistance and slow movement. Maybe a few other debuffs at higher TL? Theme is that it's difficult terrain.

Dunestalker
Negates penalty for standing on sand, passively improves pin/knockback resist. Can activate to teleport to any sand tile in sight as long as you're in sand. Short CD.

Sandstorm
Radius 4 storm around yourself. Tiles within the storm may be transformed to sand, projectiles targeted at you are displaced to a random tile inside the storm, and those within the storm are blinded.

Entomb
All sand tiles in sight become sandstone pillars for a few turns. Enemies on a sand tile must make a physical save or be entombed, removing them from combat (i.e. time prison) until the pillar crumbles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 pm 
Thalore

I was wondering if Sand immunity would make it somewhere. About that teleport, if an enemy is on a sand tile do you switch places with the enemy?

About other debuffs, the only things I can think of are save or defense reduction due to being difficult to move in. Save reduction would make Entomb stick a lot more often I guess.

Frumple wrote:
Otherwise known as a knockoff hand cannon that takes mana or somethin' instead of steam? Which is a'ight, hand cannon is surprisingly sexy even when it doesn't ignore walls.

I was thinking about this way too from the sound of it. A very nice thing that's worth spending points in, especially if your shots happen to do something like cripple.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm 
Uruivellas

anonymous000 wrote:
Given the class has a lot to do with terrain, it would be a shame if there is no lasting trace of the geomancing that happened during a battle. With this in mind I am thinking about a tree that is visually appealing, and at the same time would bring some unique flavor to the class:

Tree: Primeval Power

Drought: Passive which does additional effect for each raw talent level
TL1: You constantly radiate intense psychic power, shattering everything around you into dust in a radius of 1, and leaving a trail of sand wherever you go. Ground tiles and walls under effect become sand tiles and sand walls permanently, and you move x% faster in the sand.
TL2: Blood dropped into the sand invigorates you, damages you do to enemies standing on sand tiles heal you for a % of their damage taken
TL3: The sand sears everything standing on it. The sand tiles will be wreathed in flames permanently, and deals moderate damage similar to that of Devouring Flame.
TL4: Radius of this talent increases to 2

Sand Tunnel: Teleport enemy standing on sand tile to another sand tile. Number of enemies you could teleport increases with talent level. Alternatively you could cast it to yourself.

Horrid Wilting: Target an area in ball shape and make the ground tiles and walls under effect into sand tiles and sand walls permanently. Deals high damage. The passive effect gained from Drought also applies here.

Sand Worm: Sand is a portal to different worlds to an adept Geomancer, and they could summon horrible monsters from sands. Summon a sandworm to a target sand tile to aid you in battle. The sandworm could not travel outside sand tiles however.

This talent tree looks super cool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm 
Uruivellas

I kinda want to add an advanced Sand/Desert themed tree to go alongside the unlocked generic, but might be making the class too bloated and spreading ideas too thinly. Will see.

Also next up for coding, Forgefire, the fire caster category with a bit of support for weapon attacks and general debuffing:

Code:
Crucible | 9 Cooldown
Unleash a blast of searing flame in radius 2-4, reducing metal, stone and flesh alike to molten slag. Those within take 180 fire damage, plus additional fire damage equal to 40-100% of their total armor. The flame is hot enough to melt weapons and armor, reducing weapon damage and armor hardiness by 45-90%. Armor and weapons melted will slowly reform over time, at the rate of 15% damage or hardiness per turn.

Searing Brand | 12 Cooldown
Mark the target with a fiery brand for 6 turns, reducing their saves by 5-25. Each time they take fire damage, the brand will erupt in a radius 1-2 blast dealing 15-40% of the fire damage taken.

Scour Impurities | Passive
Your fire damage scours your target, reducing powers by 10-30% for 3 turns, and causing beneficial physical effects to expire twice as fast.
At talent level 3, magical effects are also scoured.
At talent level 6, mental effects are also scoured.

Maker's Hammer | Sustain | 20 Cooldown | 50 Mana | -6 Mana
Conjure a massive hammer of molten metal above the target that repeatedly crushes them, dealing 70 fire damage each turn with a 5-15% chance to daze for 2 turns. The hammer is considered a weapon and so has it's damage reduced by armor, but is perfectly accurate.
The hammer increases in power and cost each turn it is sustained, increasing mana cost, damage dealt and chance to inflict a status effect by 50% of base values to a maximum of 210 fire damage and 15-45% chance to daze.
You can deactivate this sustain instantly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm 
Halfling

astralInferno wrote:
This talent tree looks super cool.

Thanks! Here's some more idea if anyone is interested. The basic premise of my Geomancer is that they get stronger as they turn more areas into sand. Feel free to borrow some these if anyone find them interesting.

Tree: Sandshaping. Summon creatures from sand tiles. They are fairly immobile but as you create more sand tiles you could teleport them to more strategically favorable locations. This is a tree with some tower defense flavor.

Sand Cannon: You summon from sand tiles immobile cannons which cast Throw Boulder every 2 turns. The number of sand cannons you could summon increase with talent level to a maximum of 3. The power of Throw Boulder is reduced from the normal ones so as not to make it OP

Awaken the Warriors: Largely stolen from Erenion's addon. Summon multiple golems from sand tiles. They could not walk out of sand tiles however.

Sanctuary: Erect a temporary structure fox x turns. When you take refuge in it you cannot make any attack, but you take less damage and have a faster cooldown/health/resource generation,

Fortress: Construct a 2x2 structure which does a number of things simultaneously per turn based on your selection. You could select 3 effects out of 5 options at level 5. Option examples include:
1. Pin enemies nearby
2. Shoot stone arrows that has high APR and a small chance to daze
3. Create a huge explosion upon collapse. Stuns and reduces stun resistance to those impacted

And some slight change to the Primeval Power tree:

Sand Tunnel: Teleport enemy / friendly creatures / yourself standing on sand tile to another sand tile. Number of creatures you could teleport increases with talent level.

Sand Worm: The sandworm could teleport from one sand tile to another but not travel outside sand tiles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:06 pm 
Uruivellas

Yeah on further thought I'm going to rework some of my ideas to fit a Desert tree in as the basic 'fire caster' tree rather than Forgefire. Some of the themed functions like armor/weapon debuffing will go into Metal, as on testing it it's super strong (having a skeleton go from hitting me for 50 to 5 with Crucible was fun). Rest will be similar but new stuff. Course I need to plan it out a bit more now, so instead I'm moving onto my favourite category and the first one I designed when thinking about Geomancer. There's a couple of talents that might get tweaked but I like the core concept and theme so far.

Code:
Stonesmith

Blade Halo | Passive/Sustain
Creates X Stoneblades that hover around you. Each one has stats based off Spellpower/talent level, similar to things like Dream Hammer. On casting a spell, the stoneblades fly out and attack targets in range, to a max of 1 blade per target.
Can be activated to fire a stoneblade in a piercing beam, dealing high damage but removing a blade until it regenerates.

Obsidian Edge | Passive
Improves the crit chance of your stoneblades, and causes them to inflict deep wounds on crit.

Stone Fangs | Active
Consumes several stone blades to trigger a blade eruption in a wide area around you. Deals high stoneblade damage, pins, and leaves targets off-balance (vulnerable to melee/ranged crits).

Mountain Hammer | Sustain
Consumes a number of stoneblades to form them into a stone hammer that repeatedly attacks the sustain target, with a chance to daze. Each turn the cost increases, but so does the power of the hammer and it's chance to daze.
(a retheme of the Forgefire talent as it felt better here)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:22 pm 
Halfling

Blade Halo would have a cooldown of 0, right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 pm 
Uruivellas

Yep. Can toss out as many swords as you like, but the less you have the fewer passive hits you get. At the moment you get 4 swords, 1 per 5 turns. It's be the core damage mechanic for the class.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:02 pm 
Halfling

Would Stone Fangs be a cone or a pbAoE circle?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 pm 
Uruivellas

Large circle pbaoe. I kinda like the idea of rethemimg it as a stone axe/scythe and tweaking it to a cone sweep though, hmm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 pm 
Uruivellas

Razakai wrote:
Blade Halo | Passive/Sustain
Creates X Stoneblades that hover around you. Each one has stats based off Spellpower/talent level, similar to things like Dream Hammer. On casting a spell, the stoneblades fly out and attack targets in range, to a max of 1 blade per target.
Can be activated to fire a stoneblade in a piercing beam, dealing high damage but removing a blade until it regenerates.

ohaidere Irelia :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:24 pm 
Uruivellas

I'll have you know I definitely did not ripoff LoL.

I ripped off MTG instead! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Nahiri%27s+Wrath

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:43 pm 
Halfling

My first thought as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next