I agree that nothing here can compare with TK-2H, but if the changes can make people think TK-wielding mindstar/gem less of an underwhelming option, and more willing on use it on the margin, then it is a good thing.
The main problem is that 2-handers get
1) by far the best passive effect on Beyond the Flesh
2) their own psi-fighting tree
3) by far the best Frenzied Focus effect
I just played a mindstar caster Mindslayer through Nightmare and it is viable at that level. Having an extra mindstar with psiblades bump is a major boost in mindpower and mindcrit; it's not the best but I don't think it needs a huge revamp; Psi-fighting can stay as it is. You are right that the auras are basically 10-cooldown offensive spells with an ignored secondary effect.
1. Mindstar passive is a low chance to reset the cooldown of a random skill. If that skill is a sustain that can spike, it spikes the sustain and immediately reapplies it. Resonant focus improves this chance. Frenzied focus rolls that chance against an increasing number of skills.
2. Mindstars improve the mindhook skill by making it near-instant and applying a mental debuff.
3. Reshape gives a small mindpower and mindcrit boost to mindstars.