ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm 
Master of Eyal

My minions, I have some grave and dark news for you.

Not all adventurers seek fortune, not all that defend the world have good deeds in mind.
Lately the number of sightings of horrors have grown tremendously. People wander off the beaten paths only to be found years later, horribly mutated and partly insane, if they are found at all. It is becoming evident something is stirring deep below Maj'Eyal.
That something is you.

Teaser trailer is here!

I am happy to announce Forbidden Cults the third expansion to Tales of Maj'Eyal!
It works just like Ashes of Urh'rok, adding new and *wonderful* stuff to the base game instead of a new campaign like Embers of Rage did, but adding more!

So, what does it add you ask? Take a look:

Forbidden Cults makes two new classes available to play:
  • Writhing One: Give in to the corrupting forces and turn yourself gradually into an horror, summon horrors to do your bidding, shed your skin and melt your face to assault your foes. With your arm already turned into a tentacle, what creature can stop you?
  • Cultist of Entropy: Using its insanity and control of entropic forces to unravel the normal laws of physic this caster class can turn healing into attacks and call upon the forces of the void to reduce its foes to dust.

Both those classes use a new resource called Insanity that gradually makes you both more chaotic and powerful as it fills up.

Forbidden Cults makes two new races available to play:
  • Drem: A corrupt subrace of dwarves, that somehow managed to keep a shred of sanity to not fully devolve into mindless horrors. They can enter a frenzy and even learn to summon horrors.
  • Krog: Ogres transformed by the very thing that should kill them. Their powerful attacks can stun their foes and they are so strong they can dual wield any one handed weapons.

Forbidden Cults adds many new zones for you to explore and die in:
  • Kroshkkur: An ancient Sher'tul Fortress laying half in ruins that serves as a focal point, and home, for all kinds of creatures seeking lost knowledge.
  • The Maggot: A huge living corrupted worm about to destroy Kroshkkur! Teleport inside and save your sanctuary of horrors!
  • The Godfeaster: Deep undergroud the ground shakes as ... -- redacted by corrupt forces --
  • The Scourge Pits: On the south of the Iron Throne lays a fool pit of ... -- redacted by corrupt forces --
  • Forbidden Tomes: Find special artifact books of ancient lore. But, read at your own peril, for the story they tell may very well suck you in... quite literally.
    Maybe you will even find The One That Writes...
  • Occult Egress: A strange, extremely old, contraption of unknown origin. It seems to require some kind of code sequence to activate. Maybe you will find some during your adventures?
  • The Entropic Void: So you think you are strong? Powerful? Invulnerable? In the end, entropy always wins, as you will learn...

What would an expansion about horrors be without a bunch of new horrors to torment you with? Please give a warm welcome to:
  • Searing Horrors: You liked luminous horrors? You loved radiant horrors? You will absolutely adore their searing big brothers!
  • Nethergates: It sleeps. Maybe it should stay that way.
  • Netherworms: Vampiric worm masses that are bound to tickle your fancy! And tickle hard.
  • Fearful Symmetry: Geometry has never been so lively!
  • Entropic Shards: Take an entropic crystal, shatter it with tentacles. And die.
  • And more ...

"DarkGod, is that all?" Obviously not! You will also find your usual addition of:
  • Lore: Delve into the dark forgotten secrets of the world, where sanity is a very tenuous idea. Learn the true nature and origin of the dwarven race.
  • Artifacts: Discover new objects of power and use them to further your own goals.
  • New wyrmic tree: Unlock the scourge drake for your wyrmics.
  • Glass Golem: Unlock the glass golem option for your alchemists.
  • Events: Discover new strange contraptions in familiar zones. What could go wrong?
  • Achievements: Because there can never be enough!

"DarkGod, please take my money, I want it now!"
Sadly you will have to wait as it is still in development so the release is still to be announced. However fear not for it will not take years!

"DarkGod, how much will this cost?"
Still undecided but the upper bound is no more than Embers of Rage.

"DarkGod, where will it be available?"
In all the places where the game is available, that includes te4.org, Steam, GOG and so on. As usual.

"DarkGod, can you spoil me more please?"
Sure, for example I can tell you that the new ... a giant tentacle slithers behind DarkGod and grabs him before he has time to reveal any more info.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 am 
Uruivellas

I, for one, welcome our new tentacle overlords!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 am 
Thalore

I'm quite excited for this

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 pm 
Higher

I am mildly concerned that the official lore for this will clash with the addon class I'm putting together... But at the same time, I am excited to see a new expansion!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Master of Eyal

What the class you're making ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 pm 
Archmage

GAH!

That drem looks like the monster kid from Phenomena!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 pm 
Higher

darkgod wrote:
What the class you're making ?

Duskers:
Rogue temporal wardens who have seen their ultimate demise and will use any means to escape it, even if it requires sacrificing the souls of others.
Locked into their own decaying timeline, Duskers seek to prematurely end the lives of others, splicing their lifelines onto those of their victims.
Their most important stats are: Magic and Cunning

They're a fairly stretched hybrid of chronomancy-necromancy-shadowblades, derived more from Wardens rather than Paradox Mages and mostly use souls as a casting resource; their only summon is a husk-like ability to bring back a previously killed target, and that only uses paradox.

The concern is mostly from the tree:
Void Bringer:
You have learnt to touch the Void between realities. It is cold there, and hungry.

First talent has this in the description:

While in stealth mode, you can reach into the space between moments and throw open the Gates of the Void.
Activating this sustain immediately sacrifices one soul to awaken the hunger of the Void.

and the capstone talent has his:

You finally understand the true nature of the Void. Open yourself to it and channel its terrible hunger.
Sacrifice 8 souls, less any recently consumed by the Void, to temporarily appease its hunger and draw its darkness into yourself, becoming the Void's avatar on Eyal for 5 turns.

I'm sort of going for a 'Hounds of Tindalos' implication of horrors from outside of time, with that category. It's only a small part of the class though, and easily re-fluffed slightly if it turns out to clash.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm 
Wayist

Lokean wrote:
Duskers:
Rogue temporal wardens who have seen their ultimate demise and will use any means to escape it

This sounds fantastic. Make it official! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm 
Sher'Tul

The class idea certainly sounds intriguing, and definitely the idea for it is unique. Likely any clashes with the lore could be fixed with word changes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:57 am 
Archmage

this sounds awesome, can't wait!

All the new ways to suffer and die... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 pm 
Wayist

Somehow, I don't think I'll be able to get into the new classes (read: their role-play conceits will clash with my psyche). I'll probably be sticking with Temporal Warden. I am, however, very interested in what the new lore for dwarves will be. I suppose it'll explain why they seem to be the only ones able to use nature and arcane simultaneously.

Lokean wrote:
Duskers:
Rogue temporal wardens who have seen their ultimate demise and will use any means to escape it, even if it requires sacrificing the souls of others.
Locked into their own decaying timeline, Duskers seek to prematurely end the lives of others, splicing their lifelines onto those of their victims.
Their most important stats are: Magic and Cunning

Ha, this reminds me a little of the Lost idea I put up on the forums three years ago. Although in that case, they're sole survivors of destroyed timelines who escaped into the game timeline. (And their second resource isn't souls; it's hate.)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43903

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 pm 
Wyrmic

there isn't some special reason you can't use arcane and nature together.
lore wise the only reason you can't is because is because all the groups who use either power source hate each other, and for good reason too in most cases.

wizards at their humblest believe magic is second only to divinity and consider nature a distant third notable only because of a troubling ability to directly assault their powers.
mages considers themselves high above all others whether an anglowenian who laments the misery their lesser's inflict on themselves from the lack of their illuminated guidance.
or a defiler who believes the weak should be grateful to serve the strong.
mages at large would consider it a waste to lessen themselves by putting valuable time into studying the ways of primitive savages when they could be learning more magic instead.

and well I don't think I need to go too deep into natures side of things theirs really only two known nature groups on eyal thalore and zigur and you'd have to be pretty new to not know what they consider magic too be.

so yeah the whole magic or nature thing is only a cultural thing limited to maj'eyal.
and if you read the lore for embers of rage it stops being a thing once the sunwall makes an alliance with the allied kingdoms and zigur gets shut down for attacking a group that isn't enormous dicks with their heads up their asses for once.

heck theirs even a new nature group called the menders that's hiring stone wardens to teach how magic and nature can be used together to try and salvage some of natures reputation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am 
Master of Eyal

Quote:
wizards at their humblest believe magic is second only to divinity

Divinity? 99% of eyalite don't even know gods existed, let alone worship or understand them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:01 am 
Wyrmic

exactly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 am 

It looks very interesting, I'm excited,