ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uniques as symbiants?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 pm 
Wayist

I'm trying to update some outdated info in Lord Dimwit's ASG, and I came across this:
LordDimwit wrote:
Note: the very best symbiotes are uniques, but there's only one nonmoving unique that isn't a Z/Cth creature. If you turn on Z/Cth creatures, though, you get some pretty nice options. Yibb-Tstll, Chaugnar Faugn, Cyaegha, Abhoth, and Shuma-Gorath are all difficult to get, but quite desirable. It's also possible (though only barely) to get Improv, the mightly MoLD if you've got joke monsters on. What a trip.

As far as I can remember, in 2.3.x they changed charm spells so that they no longer work on uniques. Is it still possible to get a unique monster as a symbiant?

I know that it's possible to have unique pets: a Possessor in the body of a Gold Thunderlord, for example, can use the "Summon Thunderlord" racial power and it will occasionally summon Marda or Sarko, etc. But to my knowledge, it's impossible to actually summon a unique never-moving pet, and existing uniques can no longer be charmed.

Any workarounds? Is it still possible?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Uruivellas

IIRC, if you summon a unique as a friendly and then cast Hypnotize on it within one turn, it should become wieldable as a symbiote. More than one turn and the unique will become hostile.

Don't take my word on it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:36 pm 
Wayist

If I remember rightly, the game turns are evaluated such that the summoned pet will always get a turn before you can act again to hypnotize it. I seem to recall some experimentation done to that effect. I'll have to do some wizard-mode tests, I guess, unless someone is familiar enough with the source code to give a definitive answer.

Not too big a deal, though. My current "last" T2 character is a Possessor, so symbiosis is pretty much out.